1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bring On 2019

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Bluefin, Dec 9, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Maybe it's my warped sense of humour, but I did have a chuckle at those comments, Blair.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and blair like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thx Jeff, I sometimes wonder if my warped sense of humour is understood , Gladly I think most of us fishos have a WSH.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    In an earlier post I said a lot of decisions had to be made in 2019. Well the main one seems to have been made for us. A couple of for sale signs went up yesterday. At this stage our unit and one other unit were not referred to.
    1 Unit was sold a while ago, now another 2 are up for sale, the last 2 may be for sale in the new year. Who knows.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    creekboy and diesel like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hope u get a good price for em Kev, I think someone may be going to lighten the load on BCF,s shelves soon.
    im going down now to look at the new kato backpack I may replace flyfishing vest whith it , vest gets in the way a lot.
    cheers

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    So do I, but I think the owner would get very pi##ed off.

We sold our house about 2 1/2 years ago blair, and are now renting.

creekboy, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    There I go, presuming too much again, thought they were units u own Kev, I am sure things will work out fine for u.
    cheers

7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    There's a lot of seriously nice genuine stuff in this post. It's the sort of chat that helps tie this little group even more tightly together and is called 'sharing problems'.
    While it's always disturbing to hear that many friends have problems; it proves that we are all human and dreadfully normal. RE Blair's quote; there's really only one thing to do: That's "get back up again". Sometimes, many of us think life's a beach (read as bitch). But there's still a lot of beauty to be seen on that beach if we look.
    Sandy writes that if we were meant to catch something every time it would be called catching, not fishing. If we apply a similar sort of philosophy to life in general and expect no bumps on the roads we travel, surely we'd have to have been born in heaven and I don't know
    yet
    if there's even fish there.
    There'll always be bumps to overcome and I don't know ANYONE who hasn't encountered some. Sometimes they are rough gravel roads. Other times they need serious 4X4 driving but most usually get over them, even if there's some damage done. Most damage is eventually repairable. But some do get really stuck and have to call for help. Then someone, and it's often a stranger, will always arrive to help sort the problem.
    Fortunately there's a governing body out there who tries to manage such things and usually sends in a grader to remove those bumps. Being normal people, we most times think it's overdue but there's lots of people and lots of bumpy roads. I guess we simply have to wait our turn sometimes.
    Been there, done that. Didn't buy the Tee shirt.

reelaxation, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Guess what!!! Monday last week, my mate Brian from Kangaroo Valley was in the van park here and WE WENT FISHING. The day was overcast, comfortably warm, with waves less than 10cm high on the lake. I would have preferred some sunshine for flathead as that would mean higher barometric pressure, which is usually better. B
    ut we can't have everything.
    We worked our butts off for two and a half hours and never had a touch on SPs. Fished here, there and everywhere, and changed plastics twenty times to no avail.
    But of course it had to change. I've had one doughnut since moving here (not bad for close to eight years) and didn't want another.
    We finished the day with about a dozen, with not a decent fish in the lot. Was picked up by one fairly good fish but it was never hooked. After a few moments it simply swam away. The SP was pulled down into the hook bend and is a sure sign it was only hanging onto the tail. That's life; that's fishing.
    Sitting out there, chewing on a ham and salad sanger with a good cuppa coffee waiting is a hell of a good way to spend a day.
    Yes, catching fish is good, but going fishing is better.
    I read a long time ago and still remember; 'Some people go to church and think of fishing. Some go fishing and think of God.'

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    PS.
    I had one of the worst bosses imaginable for most of my life. I worked ridiculously long hours at times, was never paid a cent for overtime and was actually paid below the award rate for the duration. He was a real bastard.
    For years I wondered why I stayed but it was hard to escape. I worked for myself.

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A lot of wisdom in what you say, Noel.

I have often heard it said by people that if they could have their time over again, they would do things a lot differently so as to avoid the bumps, but I think it's the bumps that we encounter in the journey through life that really defines the individual in us. Life is an ever changing mystery that never ceases to amaze me, sometimes only slightly and at other times it takes you by the throat and shakes the bejeebers out of you.

I spent 5 hours yesterday talking with a neighbour who had lost his wife to cancer earlier in the week. Not a close neighbour, but someone who needed some support. What he is going through emotionally is more than a bump, he had hit rock bottom, in total despair that his partner of the last 40 years was no longer there. I let him lead the conversation in any direction he wanted to take it and it wasn't long before the subject of fishing was discussed as both he and his wife had worked and fished in various places on Cape York that I was familiar with. At the end of a long session of reminiscing and airing some of his fears for the future, he seemed to have a clearer view of what happens next. I told him that once he got past the emotional turmoil, we should spend a few days fishing somewhere and he smiled and said: "you bet, I will hold you to that".

When life gets you down or if you hit a bump, go fishing - there is no better therapy to help pick you up again.

I've just discovered a new fishing mate.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It seems you have a forte' for helping others Jeff. I recall another example you mentioned a couple of months ago.
    If you've won a new fishing mate, it's perhaps not really enough recompense for what you may have given others.

Noel.

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That surprises me blair. I tried it and found a backpack was a pain in the butt while casting. But we're all different. Noel

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, Noel, but I firmly believe that most people are good in the way that they treat others. My role in helping somebody at a time of need is something that I think a lot of others would do also, it is nothing more than using a basic human relation skill called compassion - we all have it, just need to recognise it when it is required.

Jeff

reelaxation, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I share your optimism

15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I haven't given it a run yet, hopeing it will be better than flyvest flapping about and getting in way of stripping basket and be cooler. If the backpack has too much weight It may affect my balance while casting.
    It will be usefull for carrying rain jacket jumper food water etc & handy to quickly dump when fishing one spot for a while or if out in boat.
    I fear your might be right Noel if backpack were good for fly fishing eveyrbody would be using them. I will hopefully give it a run at the end of this year up the snowy.
    If it doesnt work out it will make a good tackle bag.
    When I seen it advertised on BCF website I was instantly "lured" in as well! so I switched to hare brain mode and rushed down and got it, a common fisho affliction I think.
    I think keeping my front clear for stripping basket and seeing what species of snake I am about to tread on will be the main advantage. There something else that seems to getting in the way more and more that used to be a six pack but now is a keg.
    tight lines

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I never use a stripping basket. I just figure of eight into my hand. Works fine for me. Noel.

diesel, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A while ago I bought a Shimano backpack to cart a bit of gear when walking a beach or a river bank, but by the time I packed, unpacked and repacked it a dozen or more times, it was still too heavy. I gave up and went back to my old favourite. I cast right hand and it never gets in the way.

Fishing bag.jpg

Jeff

blair, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I too cast right handed Jeff. Being right hand dominant; I ask why I should trust a good fish to my 'other' hand' though it works normally. I say the same about continually changing hands regardless of whether I'm casting lures or a fly. I guess neither is really right or wrong, but for a right hander it's far more sensible than using your best hand to just wind a handle. Noel

19. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, all. I too cast right handed even though I am a left hander, but always wind the egg beater with left hand. Cheers, Lyall.

20. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    That's what has been keeping me going for quite a long time.
    I've had that many ups and down I think I'm a bloody Yo-Yo. But I've never let anything beat me, things have come very close. Friends I have spoken to are all on happy pills, and a couple have chucked in the towel. But not me I must be a glutton for punishment. Lyn and I have been going through a bit of a rough trot lately [health issues mainly] Were waiting for a Biopsy report for Lyn, our outings these days are mostly Doctor appointments. Lyn, Maisy and myself are going fishing on Tuesday. I can see another Donut coming up.