1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Cameras, smartphones & fishing!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Rod Bender, Apr 25, 2017.

What do you use most to take your pics?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2018.
  1. Compact camera

11.5%
  2. SLR camera

11.5%
  3. Smartphone

65.4%
  4. Don't bother taking pics

11.5%
  1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi peeples,
    Just thought I would run a poll to see what members use to take their fishy pics...or in my case...scenery pics!:cool: I have an Olympus Stylus SH2 compact camera. When I purchased it last year, the guy in the camera store told me that camera companies are not doing that much research into improving compacts as smartphones are so good now with taking pics. Of course some people don't bother taking pics anyway!
    cheers
    Jim

Old fisho, creekboy, Sprinter and 2 others like this.
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I'm still using the compact fuji i bought 7 years ago,doesn't take too a bad pic now that i've nearly figured out how to work it.

3. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I use the phone a lot lately, I do have an Olympus camera but the batteries don't seem to last and decent batteries are overpriced in my opinion, cheers davo

Old fisho, creekboy, Sprinter and 2 others like this.
  4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Funny this came up because I bought a gopro a couple of years ago specifically for fishing and out in my boat but I never take it with me when I go- so I end up using my phone when I can be bothered taking piccies...
    NOTE TO SELF- remember to take the flipping GoPro next time

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Active Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Very much in the same boat. Bought a go pro about 3 years ago. Its still sitting in the wardrobe in its box. I really must make an effort.

creekboy, kev209 and DeeBeeKay like this.
  6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    The fish I catch are not worth taking a picture of. If I did take a photo it would be on my I phone
    Wally

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. jake brennan

jake brennan Member

Apr 25, 2017
    I just use my Iphone, but am looking to purchase a compact camera.

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and kev209 like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thought I would bump this thread rather than starting another one. I have previously used a compact camera for my pics but me thinks that is going to change.

Lately I have used my phone. The pics aren't brilliant, but it is so easy. I am going to upgrade my phone as well so things should improve.

I have also purchased a gimball.
    https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...andheld-gimbal-for-smartphones-black-djzhiyun
    This steadies the phone...a problem I have with my shaky hands. All I need to do then is catch something other than carp!

I was going to comment on a thread where Team Diesel said he purchased a new phone. Team Diesel needs to learn, if he hasn't already, how to use the phone and then download pics here.:cool: The type of fish he catches, would love to be viewed here by members, regardless of how small or big the fish are (I remember Team Diesel saying in a thread that most of his fish were nothing special and not worth taking a pic).
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Starting to get into the Pirtek zone.

creekboy, blair and kev209 like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yes, Team Diesel did in fact purchase a new phone, a Samsung S9 and he does indeed need to learn how to use it, but seeing as Team Diesel has already dropped his new phone at least 3 times, he will not take it on his fishing excursions.

Team Diesel is seriously considering buying a GoPro or something similar that can be firmly anchored to some part of his anatomy so that if said part of his anatomy takes a tumble into the water, the camera was designed to take such a fall - his S9 wasn't.

Like most things that Team Diesel intends buying, he does not rush into the purchase without doing extensive research.

Team Diesel
    ...still hasn't mastered the technology of the Brownie box camera, but slowly getting there.

creekboy, Madfisher, blair and 2 others like this.
  10. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I tend to mix it up between Go Pro and phone.
    Go Pro gets mounted to the boat and is generally used more for trip video stuff than fish. The main reason is that my Go Pro is an old Hero3, which has no rear mounted screen and needs to be paired to a mobile device to frame the shot. So if you're grabbing a mobile device, may as well just use the camera on that as it's easier and faster. As a result, that's what I do the vast majority of the time.

I do love DSLRs and have a couple of dated bodies and some decent lenses. Reason I don't use them for fishing is that I tend to get into photography mode where I focus on improving on my photography skills and to the exclusion of everything else that's going on. So the camera gear remains at home.

creekboy, Rod Bender, diesel and 2 others like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Compact 14 meg kodak and "smart" phone, phone doesnt work on my computer so use the kodak pics for most things, and Akaso EK7000 pro action cam which I hopefully will be using more often shortly have some mx bike footage to take, 2012 YZ450 (bloody exciting just riding along farm track massive power, fuel injected) I just rebuilt and upcoming fishing trip.

12. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I can use my phone, that's when I remember to charge it or even take it with me. Someone in the house tends to get a bit stroppy when I leave it home. It doesn't take a bad pic though.
    Other times I use my video glasses, particularly when a decent fish is on a line. The lens is polarised and they handle high definition. It's good to record capture and release and can run for two hours on a battery charge. The old ones I had were better. I could take a snapshot with them. After breaking off an arm, plus the hair fine wiring inside, they went in the bin. The audio is also excellent. I now, if a still image from the video glasses is required, take a screenshot from the video and work from there. They run a micro chip as in the phones. Because I upload videos quickly, though the card is 32gb, I rarely use much of it. An 8gb card would be more than adequate.
    If I go into real photo mode I use my canon 600D because it's versatile and has 18mp image quality. It's about $1500 to set yourself up with that and some other gear but some of the images have to me, justified it all. Apart from that I was paid as a freelance writer/photographer and the cost was soon reimbursed. I published in the magazine for several years and they needed high resolution images. I usually took their images in both 'jpeg' and 'raw' format. I can't tell the difference but the mag's art people mostly worked with 'raw'. The canon came with an '85' lens and a '250' that I quickly changed for a '300' that enables me to draw some longer shots in without the weight of say, a '500'. I use sun shades on both lenses at times. It also has a lot of stuff I don't understand. I'm basically 'point and shoot'. The '500' is brilliant machinery but too heavy for me to carry now.
    The '300' and '500' also not comparable in price.
    Noel
    Seriously likes the best images he can create.