1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Carp virus discussion...Victoria.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Noel, from memory the virus may need to be passed by infected fish coming into contact with other fish...but I am not sure. If this is the case, I would have to ask what is the relevance of releasing the virus upstream or downstream. This may be answered by the fact that if released upstream first, then tonnes of dead and dying fish floating downstream will spread the virus quickly.
    Cheers
    Jim

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Last post was a great report. The previous one , re going out fishing, no contest there. When do you leave? Cheers, Lyall. PS. Had our second metre Tiger snake in the front yard at around 5pm today. At least I am getting some action. Cheers, Lyall.

Rod Bender, blair, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Have 'liked' your post but don't like what you wrote about.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    They get the adrenaline pumping those unexpected snake encounters, especialy a tiger snake or large brown. was inching along a goat track on a steep bank at googong dam one day and put my hand up to a track/ledge above me and my hand closed on some sort of soft animal I thought rabbit? rat? I quickly let go and a massive brown took off down the downward sloping legde where I seen what it was, I was being naughty fishing in a restricted area miles from car.
    bloke at recent snowy mountains festival told me he never wears shorts in bush any more ,once went fishing at dry plains and woke up in cooma hospital, he stepped over a log and a brown decided to pump him up whith venom , he rang cooma hospital and told them where he was and he was making his way back to car, he didnt make it to car luckily they found him uncouncious near car.
    I think cod do a reasonable job of keeping carp numbers down, when cod numbers built up in lake burley griffin I noticed there wernt as many carp around any more especially the bright orange ones and the lake cleared up a bit.
    cheersssss

Madfisher, creekboy and diesel like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    From what I have read about the virus, it is mainly transmitted by fish to fish contact, but can also be transmitted as a waterborne disease. The optimal water temperature range for a rapid transmission is between 16 to 25 degrees which may be one of the reasons for releasing the virus downstream rather than upstream.

They also want to release the virus in known breeding areas for carp and this may be another reason for a downstream release. There are sections of the Murray such as near Renmark that have a very high concentration of carp, in fact it is not uncommon to catch 40 to 50 large mature fish per day in the summer months and invariably there are quite a few small fish caught in shrimp and yabby traps - this is most likely one of the breeding areas and also it may be one of the virus release areas.

As for the cleanup of dead fish, the jury is still out on that one. Fish eating birds will clean up a lot of the smaller fish, but as for the large mature fish???? It was suggested that the general public would need to get involved, but I doubt whether that would work given the mess that the general public have already dumped in our waterways, they are hardly likely to want to get involved in cleaning up what could be millions of tonnes of dead rotting fish and this could result in a very contaminated system.

My take on the carp issue? Establish a commercial carp harvesting industry and export the fish to countries where people eat them. It creates employment and would be an effective control mechanism without the uncertainties that surround the virus. But, who am I to suggest such a thing?

I'm just a grumpy old fart who likes to go fishing :rolleyes:

Jeff

creekboy, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Interesting read Wally.

creekboy likes this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    That would be something worth looking into.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Making money out carp would be a surefire way to get rid of a lot of them, Maybe divert some funds to Charlie carp fertilizer company to expand his business, cat food? just invent a new name to put on the can labeling such as "inland salmon", fishos paid to go out and catch carp and supply to farmers direct for fertilizer and maybe stock feed,non taxable of course, be a good way to keep gof,s occupied. doing a bit of gofing myself at present coming down whith yet another cold I think. used to supply taronga zoo whith about 1500 kg of carp from lake liddel carp bash annually, glad I wasn't driving the van full of carp that had been in the sun for a couple of days but!
    tight lines

10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm sure they do, Blair. I have seen evidence of that in the Gwyder, but I'm not sure how long it lasts. Carp are such prolific breeders with mature females producing around 1 million eggs annually and conditions don't have to be the best for them to do it. It doesn't take a hell of a long spell for carp numbers to increase to the point where there are just far too many for cod to handle and therein lays the problem - what a shame our natives aren't breeding at the same rate.

Jeff

11. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Another lot of interesting posts. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  12. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    But even more important Lyall is they are POSTS. N

13. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Interesting, myself my DIL and son removed 31 the other day, my mate bob removed 40 further upstream, that was 71 for the day. Naturally we tend to target the larger ones. Hopefully if we can remove the larger ones the cod will remove anything under about 4lb.

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I have attended several talks where the virus subject has arisen. I can not remember which one I was at where the following was mentioned but it was admitted (by the virus mob I think) that the cleanup will be a challenge and that not all waterways would be 'covered'!

I know you fish a lot of streams that were trout streams in another life. Would there even be cod there? I guess the carp have no predators except some smaller ones may go to birds (and bigger ones at your hands)!:cool:
    cheers
    Jim

15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I have read somewhere that the virus will wipe out the larger fish before the smaller immature fish, Pete.

I think that is an area of concern, Jim. A lot of regional communities rely on rivers for town water and once contaminated the only way to reverse the damage is a flush-out with fresh water - are they going to create a bigger problem?

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Just finished a feed of fresh calamari and flounder, daughter and I went out for a fish, she nearly always catches a good fish, biggest flounder I have seen for decades, chip off the old block obviously. :)
    At last I have the solution for carp: genetically modify cod so they can out breed carp and out survive carp in marginal conditions! these super cod will also have a psychopathic hatred of carp.Simple!:D

17. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I attended a meeting last week. Whilst it was not a meeting in regards to the carp virus, the subject did come up. As more time goes by there are doubts that the virus will be introduced. There are questions in regards to how effective it will be.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Intrepid fishing reporter!

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.