1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Catch n Cook Carp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Alan Bonnici, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Alan Bonnici

Alan Bonnici New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    I thought I’d share a funny video that I spent some time putting together covering the very controversial topic of HOW TO CATCH & COOK CARP. I bet you're Curious??

Watch and enjoy a step by step instructional guide on catching carp. Things turn a little crazy as I throw in plenty of light hearted humour including some bizarre cooking & cleaning tips. It’s all in good fun, so I hope you enjoy the video. Please remember to support my channel by subscribing & commenting if you enjoyed it.

Just so I'm sharing some knowledge for others. I was using a 3-5 kilo rod, a 2000 size reel spooled with 10 pound braid. Baits used were corn kernels from the can and bread. I also use scrub worms and maggots. Was filmed at a couple of various locations mainly Cherry lake in Altona. I hope you find some helpful tips. My first attempt at some light hearted humour so I look forward to the comments and feedback.

Video link -

Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  2. Dickson

Dickson Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Why?:eek:

kev209 likes this.
  3. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    ha you are a funny Man Alan.
    I have enjoyed Your videos on Youtube.
    Cheers
    Jed

kev209 likes this.
  4. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    You cleaned it in your kitchen!?
    You need psychiatric help!

5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    The best eating carp come from all gravel streams with no mud. If put on ice straight from the water its surprising how good they can be.
    Cheers Pete

kev209 and Chili like this.
  6. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I believe you, no, really I do! Kind of!
    I should try one now, had the worst flu in years for 4 days, nose fully blocked. But too sick to even bother. Today is awesome where I am, no wind, full cloud cover, perfect. Wish I could bring myself to go but it aint happening.

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  7. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Years ago i was fishing a large pool in the gorgeous Turon river for trout. I was only using a 5wt rod and 6lb tippett when a 8lb carp took my tiny nymph, and gave me a hell of a time. First into the backing going downstream, i managed to turn her, regained all my line then she did the same upstream again. Anyway I was right next to my vehicle which had and esky in it with plenty of ice. I put her in there and after she had gone to sleep i gutted and scaled her. My mate Kev had just trecently had a heart bypass and was supposed to eat lots of fish.
    When I turned up and wanted to give him the carp he was not overly impressed, so i took it home filletted in half put one half in the bin and the other half i cut up into cutlets. I then cut all the red meat off that you dont eat and fried it. I was really surprised how good it was, to the extend i thought about getting the other half back out of the bin.
    secrets being, clear water, no mud, put straight on ice, do not try and kill it thats what stressed them releasing nasties, then fillet scale and remove the red meat.
    cheers pete

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Chili and kev209 like this.
  8. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Thats some interesting info I never knew about.

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    A lot of interesting comments there. Pete (Madfisher) is until deposed, the king of carp fishers here with a PB of something like 17lb was it Pete. Better tell us again. (On fly)
    My main opinion is that carp are a fish of the lowest order and of little interest to me.
    Others can have their own opinion. Regardless, all fish are entitled to a bit of dignity.
    I didn't enjoy seeing three fish (was it after45min fishing), still gasping and drowning in air. To my simple mind that treatment is barbaric. If you're going to keep any fish, at least kill it humanely.
    If I put one in the washing machine, I assure you; you've read (and heard) that haunting piece, the last post.
    Noel

Hoping he doesn't upset too many.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    blair, kev209 and Chili like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Has anyone used the Japanese method of killing fish? I do.
    It requires a sharp spike; easily made from a spare screwdriver, and should be about 100mm long. About 4mm diameter is fine.
    The Japanese believe it to be twofold beneficial.
    1. It is quick.
    2. Don't ask me to explain technically but the Japanese food chefs believe that the enzimes
    of which perhaps Pete speaks are not released into the body and the meat quality is improved because of it.
    It's inserted in the head (fishes) behind the eyes to form an equilateral triangle with the eyes and sloped slightly forward.
    I use it on flathead and whiting. About the only fish I keep these days.
    Noel
    Adding culinary arts to the talents

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    blair and kev209 like this.
  11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I used the old ice pick through the brain for quite a while. These days I mainly use a Priest.

12. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I use a deep bladed knife, its slices lengthways through the entire head section where the brain is. I place the blunt end where that section starts, either end, in she goes lights out. No guessing hoping I hit the right spot.

kev209 likes this.
  13. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel my pb carp which I was lucky enough to land on fly during the sofala carp comp was 9.26kg or a tad over 20lb. It gave me a hell of a time in a fast flowing river, and at one time I thought it was going back to burrendong. IT still holds the record for that comp. I also got and 18lber last year out of burraga dam on a 6wt rod.
    Noel its the visual aspect I love, if i could find large trout every 50 yards close to the bank I would still be a trout man. But Carp are much harder to stalk then trout, as there lateral line picks up the most minute vibrations. I have spend 10 mins getting into a position to cast, then on the last step my foot snapped a twig and all i could see was a bow wave .
    Good to see the forum picking up with new members .
    Cheers Pete.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    Old fisho, Chili and kev209 like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Over 20lb is a great fish on light gear Pete
    even more so on a softer fly rod.
    I got a 22 1/2lb jew last year on 4lb and that, like yours was a battle royal.
    Noel
    Likes a challenge

kev209 likes this.
  15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Apart from the size of the hole, it seems like a similar and immediate process. I used to use a knife too.
    Noel

Madfisher, Chili and kev209 like this.
  16. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    lol, not so light Noel, i was fishing to win the comp, so using a 9wt rod and 12lb tippett, but the Turon has one of the steepest gradients of any river in Australia and any fish living in it in good years with high flows builds up a lot of muscle , bit like a mini nz river. I have seen it in good years far to high to cross , yet crystal clear. As you would well know from fishing Nz, if a good fish gets out into the current you will have a hell of a chase on your hands.

Old fisho, Chili and kev209 like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes Pete, When a 6-10lb fresh run rainbow gets out into the rapids there and goes down stream; there's no stopping them. A 9 weight rod will be bent to the butt with the rest of the rod now straight. You can't get into the rapids and chase them either. You can't usually wade through half a meter. Better in slower water lapping the top of your 4mm neoprene chest waders. Sometimes a bit of solid side strain will push them closer to shore. Fortunately, they most times go upstream as that is where they intended to go.
    Bloody good fun though eh?
    Noel
    An interesting observation from fishing NZ for years. Regardless of the brand, quality or price; all fishing waders have one specific design fault. They leak over the top.
    I know.

Madfisher, Dickson and kev209 like this.
  18. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Its a shame we dont have a laugh icon , lol
    Up untill the 2000 drought the Turon held plenty of 3lb bows and browns double that size. In the early 90s while giving a demo to a learner on nymphing i took 6 bows out of one run. The first one was a huge fluke, unhooked the brown nymph and threw it in the water, stripped some line off the reel , lifted the rod to cast and i was snagged to a 2lb bow. My leaners reckon my secret was just pure arse. lol
    Cheers Pete

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Not a bad way to be surprised Pete.
    Have only had it happen once in NZ and as the fly was literally at my feet, it frightened hell out of me when it took off. Almost pulled the rod from my hand.