1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Chatterbaits?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Jan 6, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've been watching a few vids on chatterbaits and just wondering if anybody is using them, if so, what are your thoughts on them?

There doesn't seem to be much out there on the Aussie market and that could mean that they didn't stack up as good as spinnerbaits.

Jeff

creekboy likes this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Bassman make them so they are produced locally in Oz. I have used them but more so the smaller ones...chasing redfin. A long time ago it was and I can't recall if I caught much on them. Yeah, redfin will eat anything but I thought these may exclude the small redfin.

On a smaller scale than Bassman, there is a local guy here in Shepp that makes them also...4D is the name he uses.
    http://www.4dspinnerbaits.com/
    He does very good ones...the ones I have from 4D are smaller. The local tackle store told me to try them for yellas! Pffftttttt! Haven't caught a fkn yella on them:mad: … but I have caught cod on them so I forgive them!!!:cool:

I have also purchased (from Bassman) chatterbait heads/blades of which I will put soft plastics on. Chatterbaits are worth a go. Just get one or two and try them at times...something different to what the majority of other people use and if they work...then buy about 50 of the f#$%ers!:)
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Experts in everything!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    creekboy and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback, Jim, I figured you would be the man to answer my question due to your vast knowledge of these sorts of things.

I asked the staff at my local bcf if they could source out a range of chatterbaits, but the cretins just gave me a dumb look and said they had never heard of such lures.

Jeff

creekboy likes this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    They may also be called 'mumblers' I think...by Bassman anyway. Motackle has them.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Causes others to spend money!

diesel and creekboy like this.
  5. Charles1960

Charles1960 Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Their a good lure, BCF sell them under the Zman brand, the guy who designed them originally sued anyone who tried to copy it so it never became hugely popular but there are now a few similar designs out there under a different name.

diesel likes this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the info, Charles. My local BCF has the Bassman Mumblers that Jim referred to but nothing else, even though they told me that they had never heard of chatterbaits. I had a look at them yesterday and I think they are a bit too big for yellas though - could be wrong.

The Zman Chatterbait Mini in 1/4oz could definitely be what I'm looking for if I can hunt down a couple in dark colours.

Jeff

7. craig308

craig308 Member

Aug 24, 2005
    diesel likes this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks, Craig, they seem to have a good range of colours. The finesse range at 3/8 oz could be the go for my type of fishing. I'll check them out.

Jeff

craig308 likes this.