1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Chicken bait

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by chris a, Nov 7, 2020.

1. chris a

chris a New Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Good day guys
    How can I make it a little tougher Thanks
    Chris

diesel likes this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. In answer to your question you would be beter buying a Broiler chicken, the breast is tough as they grow them so quickly. if you squeeze the breast and you find hard lumps in it its going to be tough.
    Wally

Madfisher likes this.
  3. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Welcome to the forum Chris
    Pete

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome to the forum Chris.

A method I use for toughening up bait whether it be chicken strips, pilchards or prawns is to heavily salt the bait for a couple of days before packaging in zip-lock bags. If you want to try that method, use coarse cooking salt and plenty of it, not table salt.

Jeff

Master Baiter and Robert Stone like this.
  5. chris a

chris a New Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Good day boys
    where do i get a old chook to salt :)

diesel likes this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Maybe a butcher will have an old boiler, but I reckon the best chicken to use is skinless breast meat from the supermarket. Cut it into strips or chunks depending on the size bait you use for particular targeted species and then salt it.

Jeff

Master Baiter likes this.
  7. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Just use raw thigh fillets stay on hook longer then breast - no need to salt it goes too tough and doesnt sit properly on the hook- and salted chicken isnt a great bait... IMHO fresh of best or marinated in either garlic and parmesan or tuna oil. I have used chicken for the last 15years for bait and it is the most under-rated bait around... EVERYTHING eats it... I have caught everything from Bream and Whiting to Jews and Taylor and pretty much every bread n butter species in between.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Master Baiter and diesel like this.
  8. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    They normally sell the boilers at the Butchers.

Master Baiter and diesel like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Your southern fish are just too damn fussy Anthony - up here in the north our fish will eat anything. Salted chicken will keep for days in the tropical heat and it's a good standby bait when you can't find a good spot to use a cast net.

I've seen blokes up the Cape use a lump of stinking old road kill for bait and land a decent size barra.

Jeff :)

Master Baiter likes this.
  10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Same with Cod eats anything loves chicken and Rabbit. Never salted freshwater bait.

diesel likes this.
  11. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Never had success with salted chicken Jeff, but raw fresh had great success on Bream, Flatties, Blue Swimmer Crabs, Whiting, Jewfish, yakkas and even squid have eaten it...

A few of my old fishing buddies swear by marinated and I have tried soaking on tuna oil but I didnt really notice a difference in how the fish were attracted to it... Like all fishing something that works for someone doesnt always work for others - but having had great success on plain raw thigh strips I doubt I would change it if I was to go back to using bait in the future.

diesel likes this.
  12. chris a

chris a New Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Thanks for the replys guys I was just thinks about vacuum sealing it in a plastic bag have any of you guys try it
    Thanks

Chris

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020