1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

CornaCarpio's Carp Culling Capers!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by CornaCarpio, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    It's called being (falsely) modest Old Fisho!

I'll take 75 cm!

It is sometimes hard to get an accurate reading, even with a bragmat due to the slope of the ground and so on.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Gor blimey Cornia. An academic among us to be sure. Where will it all end, what with Blair going all politically correct and now you espousing in a colourful but barely understood version of English-English, we might all have to go back to school to communicate.
    Noel
    Up Team Bender, down with Corn flakes.

creekboy, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Stuff school I hated it. I nicked off as often as I could and went fishing in the Yarra.

creekboy likes this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Would have been easy to catch a fish in the Yarra then. It used to flow upside down in those daysas I recall Kev.
    I was brought up in Mexico but got over it.
    Noel
    Well known school dunce

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    It's still to thick to drink and to thin to plough. We mainly caught small Reddies and roach, no big numbers caught, but every now and then I would get a good size reddie. The best bait was dough and cotton wool. I used all the top gear [as I do now] a bit of stick with about 20-25 feet of what ever line I could scrounge. The set up was a small barrel sinker to a match [stopper] then about 12" to the hook, the hook had to be nickle plated don't ask me why but most of the kids used them.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  6. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Carp caviar.

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Are the two angling protagonists hard at work out on the water or are they still working on war plans? They've both gone quiet.
    May have to abandon the 'Bender' allegiance if he doesn't keep his supporters posted.
    The corny bloke seems to be putting up some stiff opposition and could become a good bet.
    Noel.

creekboy, diesel, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  8. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    We are going on a family camping trip out to my little lake next week, i think they will be both be in trouble. lol
    Cheers Pete

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    creekboy, diesel, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  9. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    The long weekend should have resulted in a Carp-fishing extravaganza right? Wrong.

On Friday I headed out briefly and hooked in a healthy 40cm Carp that snagged me on a stick. When I went to de-snag it, he got off. It was my only bite for the day.

Saturday - I stayed in and watched the first half of the 2019 AFL Toyota Grand Final. It was fairly obvious who was going to win, and a very unremarkable game to boot, so I headed down to the creek during the second half to try my luck. Saw a few swimming about, but had no luck. Tried another spot just before dark, got a few hits, but nothing solid.

Sunday - I headed back to the spot where I got a few hits last night. Was quiet early on, but then my rod went BANG! Solid hookup and had a fairly solid unit on. Unfortunately, he got snagged and took off with my leader! The creek can be a cruel place. I got a sense that would be the only chance I get in that particular spot, and after giving it another half-an-hour or so, that turned out to be the case. I saw a few carp sunning about in another spot as I was riding my bike along the creek, so I decided to rig-up a float. Again, I got 'a hit' but no cigar. After that it was time to try another spot, which is my 'go-to' spot. I could see the Carp swimming around in the waist-deep water, but they seemed completely uninterested in my bait. I must confess, I got a bit bored and took one of my rods to try a spot nearby, trying to catch my first Carp for the weekend. After about 10 minutes or so, I saw a carp splashing about on the surface about 40m away. It didn't take me long to realise it was attached to my other rod! So I sprinted over and the battle began. It tried everything in its power to snag me, including swimming around rocks and submerged sticks, but I've never been afraid to get a little wet if it means catching a Carp - especially after two fish-less days! The fight was absolutely awesome, with him peeling off line at a rapid rate of knots. Carp really are an underrated sportfish in my humble opinion. Eventually, I was able to net him and he came in at about 68cm. The first Mirror of the season and the first one on a float! Not a monster by any stretch of the imagination, but not too bad either. And certainly better than spending the best part of 3 days without a fish!

71286265_485433075645577_5287565303604051968_n.jpg

70813588_384830642454696_8665833506003222528_n.jpg

10. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Well done mate, your perseverance paid off, which is the name of the game.
    Cheers Pete

11. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Well that did not work out terribly well due to very cold nights of minus 3. Nothing on fly but I did get one on bait the pulled the scales down to 11lb. Swam through about 10m of weed, but i eventually landed her.
    Cheers Pete

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We humble souls following this exciting but also terrifying carp fight to the death, need better help and understanding from the protagonists.
    Here we have our old mate Pete the mad fisher, using measurements from way back in the days of the Roman empire, who seems to have forgotten that Australia went metric back in 1966.
    The newer blood, Corny on his bike, does it differently. He even provides photos as proof of a catch. He comes across as an honest sort of bloke but even his system may be suspect. It wouldn't be hard to scale down an image of his brag mat, then superimpose a pic of a tiny fish onto it.
    I don't suggest he would cheat but make the point that it's possible.
    With such high stakes to play for, anything is possible and some will do anything to achieve honour and glory.
    In the meantime the secretive 'Bendy' bloke who seemingly provoked others into this game of war, is somewhere out there in the background. We certainly must wonder if he is even slightly trustworthy. He is saying nothing, most likely collecting information like a James Bond spy or even a Russian one. I reckon
    one day, he'll burst into sight again, towing a carp to exceed the dimensions of Jonah's nemesis behind a tractor and we'll never learn from where it came.​
    Noel
    I'm not naturally suspicious.

creekboy, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  13. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    LOL, Noel you know us mad fishos measure our fish in centimetres , but still weigh in lbs. 11 lbs sounds so much better then 5kg.
    As they say competition improves the breed. I wonder where bender has gone. By the way the fastest growing section of sport fishing in the Us and Australia is fly fishing for carp.
    Tight lines.
    Pete

14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Whatch out! CC

15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    may be a hustler!

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Don't tell anybody Pete but I do too.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Its a shame we do not have a laugh icon.
    Its a fisherman thing i think mate, or maybe and olf fart thing. LOL

18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
  19. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Team Bender has concentrated on another goal of mine...to get the first yella on a lure! So far this has resulted in a redfin but on saying that, I have only had one attempt recently.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Carp glory has been put on the backburner...a sign of extreme confidence!!!!

20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Well we now know he's still alive.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.