1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

CornaCarpio's Carp Culling Capers!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by CornaCarpio, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Headed out to Taylor's Lake today in the state's west on an absolutely glorious winter's day - the sun was out and not a breath of wind on the water. Temperature wise, it was almost a 'balmy' 12 degrees. Unfortunately, despite the almost ideal conditions, the fishing wasn't quite as propitious...it wasn't until I threw a can of corn out for burley and started started packing up after a solid 3 hours that I got my first and only bite of the day - a carp in the 50-60cm range. Of course, this inspired me to stay 'a bit longer', but no more bites were forthcoming. I was just happy I caught something.

+1

CC
    No worries in winter!

20200628_165643.jpg

FB_IMG_1593337657260.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    blair likes this.
  2. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Boy oh boy, goodness gracious me.

Headed out on my bicycle armed with a Penn Legion Rod and an Ecogear SX40 (that I haven't used in years), hoping to catch some stocked Rainbow Trout at the family-fishing friendly Cato Lake in Stawell, Western Victoria.

What I didn't count on was foul-hooking a record-equaling PB 80cm Carp in the tail on a hardbody! Pretty much as soon as I hooked it I saw the tail splash and realised straight-away that it was a pretty big Carp. I was somewhat relieved that there are hardly any snags in Cato Lake, but this was offset by the fact I was 'only' using 8lb line and had no landing net. 'Necessity is the mother of invention' as they say, so I phoned my Dad while tiring the Carp out to say 'I've git a bloody big Carp on can you bring a landing net down'. I had no longer done that when a passer-by yelled out; 'Having any luck?', to which I replied 'Yeah, I've got a bloody big Carp on'. He said 'I've got a net in my car you can use' to which I replied 'Yes'. Before I knew it, I had two people, with a landing net each circling around my fish trying to grab it. I could see that it was hooked in the anal fin and I was petrified the lure was going to pull-out. Eventually, it tired enough and I think my Dad was the one to net it. Of course, as my Dad drove down, I raced to the car to grab the brag-mat and was pleasantly surprised the Carp 'weighed in' at a hefty 80cm (give or take a few mm). After I calmed down a bit and stopped shaking, I manged to accomplish what I set-out to achieve: to catch a few 'stockies'; they were okay, certainly better than catching nothing, but give me an 80cm Carp any-day!

Fishing is a bizarre experience: yesterday I did a 100km round-trip to catch a fairly average Carp and today I rode 400m down the road to catch a PB equaling Carp (along with a couple of stocked Trout)! What strange times we live in, and during winter no less!

+1

CC

Carp catcher in cold conditions...

20200629_153750.jpg

20200629_163706.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    kev. and blair like this.
  3. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    great stuff mate, may as well count her for the 20/21 competition lol.
    Cheers Pete

kev., blair and Master Baiter like this.
  4. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Went back to Cato today to catch another Carpus Goliath, but ended up catching everything but (2 x Rainbow Trout and 1 x Redfin). That's usually the way it goes, such are the vicissitudes of recreational fishing.

I must admit, RT are a beautiful fish and are an excellent sportfish, particularly in a heavier weight division. It almost has me considering chasing some more 'wild' specimens...

CC
    Will take what he can get!

P.S. No pics, 'cause trouble uploading photos

kev., blair, Madfisher and 1 other person like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    CC, I was looking up the Strike Tiger web site and I see that Carp will readily take a Strike Tiger nymph. Thought you may be interested.
    Cheers Wally

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    kev., blair and CornaCarpio like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nearlly guaranteed that a big fish will be hooked when no landing net present, never had to ring someone for help while fighting a fish haha.

kev. likes this.
  7. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Well the Melb Metro 2020/21 Carp re-opening was off to a solid start - didn't even have enough time to set-up my second rod (literally within 5 minutes) before the first one went off! On the end was a solid Carp, just shy of 70cm.

I only just chucked in the second one and similar results ensued, this time a Carp right on 70cm with all the usual antics - crossing over my other line, trying to get snagged, me wading in and falling over (and getting a gob full of Gardiner's Creek water - crocs and a hard clay bottom do not mix!), it not wanting to succumb, but me eventually succeeding. The Carp seemed ravenous after such a long fishing hiatus and simply could not resist my meticulously presented bread crust.

I've missed this, today was the most productive and enjoyable day I've had in six months. I know what I'll be doing for the next next six! Was nearly going to give it a miss today, as I thought the weather might have been a little cold at 14/15 degrees and the creek was a bit dirty from all the rain we've had recently, but it just allowed me to catch them in stealth mode, as they had no idea I was there...they can be very spooky when the water is clear.

After landing the two Carp, I found a worm in a bucket and decided to use that - I ended up catching my first Eel from the creek, which I promptly released.

+2

20200928_172610.jpg

20200928_183435.jpg

20200928_220437.jpg

8. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Good start mate, feels good doesnt it lol. The comp is now on 70cm to beat

blair, diesel and kev. like this.
  9. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Headed to the same spot today to continue my 'heroics' from yesterday, slightly warmer today, better conditions, so I expected slightly more fish...but nup, not even a bite! I got bored after a while and traversed the creek looking for golf balls...when I returned my bread was still on the hook - didn't even have a sniff! The two rotting Carp corpses at the bottom of the creek from yesterday must have acted as a warning to all the resident Carp in that spot :cool:

On the ride home I ran into Yellow Door from Shout Out To The Carp Masters hall of fame (a thread even longer than this one) on the Bream Masters Forum, who was also wetting a line. I could see he was burly-ing up, so I invited myself to fish along side him, socially distanced of course. He caught a small Carp and Eel in relatively quick succession using maggots and worms. Finally I got a bite - my first and only one of the day. As is always the case, there is always drama with me fishing down at the creek. We were fishing off a really steep section, and my Carp, as per usual, took off at a 100 m/ph. In so doing, my line got caught in an overhanging tree quite a bit away from where I was actually situated. I was praying to God that the friction created while the Carp was going nuts wouldn't snap the line. Eventually, the line freed itself (without snapping - and ironically, with a little help from the Carp) but this left me with a little quandary - how to actually land the thing, given we were fishing off such a steep section. Seemingly out of nowhere Yellow Door presented me with a landing net with the longest handle I have ever seen - 12ft possibly longer, which made landing the fish relatively simple. Come to think of it, I have no idea how he got it down the creek, as he was only on two wheels as well. Nevertheless, I managed to score a Carp (and a pretty decent one at that - just shy of 70cm) and not go home fishless.

+1

CC

120311061_10159159375120362_5066073954592920554_o.jpg

kev., blair, Madfisher and 1 other person like this.
  10. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    They are some dark looking carp.
    Sounds like a fun couple of days
    Cheers
    Jed
    Who has not caught a carp this year.........

Madfisher and kev. like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    That carp has a fair bit of a gut hanging off it, sort of like myself these days.

12. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Boy oh boy wowee...a PB 81cm Carpus Goliath from the creek today.

I was a bit disappointed after I lost a 70cm Carp in my usual spot, so decided to try a new spot on my way home in order to avoid going home fishless for the first time this season.

Thing took off like a steam train - it almost took all my line, I could see the line on my spool rapidly disappearing and probably only had 20-30m of it left. Eventually it tired, and I slowly managed to get some line back with the pull-and-wind approach. After it tired some more, it was like reeling in dead weight, I thought I might have lost it and got snagged on a log before I sighted it close to shore. I was so relieved when I finally sighted it with my own eyes, and even more so when I landed it.

I generally like to keep my spots under wraps, but I caught it in a very public area and had about 15 kids surround me after I caught it, each vowing to bring their fishing rod tomorrow [​IMG]

A 1 metre Carp beckons this season - there has to be one in there somewhere! [​IMG]

CC
    The Carp are out there!

120299146_10159164044685362_8506929572766161927_o.jpg

120347622_10159164046750362_6637554869551282835_o.jpg

20201001_193110.jpg

13. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    That is a big Carp I have caught some big Carp never ever measured them, but not as big as that one. Good work in landing it great for the environment as well.

14. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    WOW,Well done mate. You have given me something to chase. I have only got one spot that has fish of that calibre and its a 70k drive one way. Good work mate, they get smart at that size.
    Pete

kev. likes this.
  15. hqfi64z9

hqfi64z9 New Member

Sep 28, 2020
    I like fishing also catching little baitfish in my butterfly net and decided to use them. Mostly I use Hammer Fishing Rods are covered by a limited lifetime warranty for the original owner against manufacturing defects. Hammer Fishing Rods will need to inspect your rod to determine the nature of the defect. Hammer Fishing Rods are not responsible for normal wear and tear, nor failures caused by accidents, abuse, alteration, modification, misuse, or improper care. When we are busy fishing sometime the hooks are stuck on our body parts or in cloth. this is so dangerous so pain on the body if this accident happen.

kev. likes this.
  16. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Well done on your PB! That is a a good fish. There will be 1000's of kids there next time you get there ha.

17. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    I went back yesterday...one guy was fishing in 'my' spot (who I suspect saw me catch it) and not a bite! The vicissitudes of fishing...

18. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    The 2020/21 carp season is so far providing excellent fishing. The above average rainfall during winter and early spring seems to have really stirred things up, and resulted in 'above average' sized carp.

Today I got this 71cm brute, it provided the most tenacious, dogged and determined fight I have ever experienced from a cyprinidae. It took over an hour to get in (not joking) and was full of spawn, desperately trying to protect not only its life but its future offspring. Every time I went to net it it would take off again and go on a another run, without tiring. It seemed to be paired up with its male counterpart who was swimming along side it. My antics of wading in, trying to net the fish and unsnag it from various rocks and logs, and trying to 'beach' it at various locations proved amusing to many passers by, who stood and watched (some seemed to be taking photos), but ultimately got bored of my seemingly interminable escapade. All I know is it was bright daylight when I got the bite and getting dark by the time I landed it.

I recently respooled one of my reels with 10lb mono, but looking back I probably should have gone for 15lb. With a 8lb flurocarbon leader, I just couldn't put enough 'hurt' on the fish without the fear of my line breaking or pulling the hook out of the fishes mouth. The creek is also quite snaggy, so once the line come into prolonged contact with a rock/snag/tree branch its all over, irrespective of breaking strain.

Anyway, it was a great day and I sure hope this 'high-octane' carp season continues! I'm averaging over 70cm for the 5 Carp I've caught so far this season, helped of course by my PB of 81cm the other day, which I still can't believe. Probably not a sustainable average, but I can always dream.

+1

CC
    Doesn't wake up for anything less than 70cm!

120664273_10159169000325362_6365008767239488_o.jpg

120926722_10159168992700362_794700508892622822_o.jpg

120346584_10159168966050362_2308502225673007602_o.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  19. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Your turning it on wth the Carp Barry.

kev. likes this.
  20. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Great stuff mate, i finally got on the board today, but hardly worth weighing compared to yours 5.1/2 lb
    pete

Master Baiter and kev. like this.