1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

CornaCarpio's Carp Culling Capers!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by CornaCarpio, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    You probably know just as much as me! The subject was mentioned at the trout conference last August. Travis Dowling (fisheries CEO) said that the project seems to have lost momentum since Barnaby Joyce took a back seat! This, coupled with lots of negative publicity, a lot of which is scare mongering, has taken its toll.
    cheers
    Jim

AJ Fishman, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    IN our area, i have gone from hating carp for invading our rivers, to excepting the fact that in a lot of stream,s nothing else will live in them, because they now get to hot for trout, and dont have deep holes for natives.
    Also with the massive growth in flyfishing, and using soft plastics for carp, we are now have to look further afield to find good numbers of carp in our area. But bear inmind a lot of our streams have only a couple of holding pools every kilometre.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  3. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    It was a rip-snorter of a day, so I decided to head down to the creek for a fish. Things didn’t get off to a good start. A father/son combination was fishing in my spot. I started catastrophising immediately; “I won’t catch anything now” I said to myself. I also wondered if they had seen me fishing there before, as it is fairly isolated, although the carp are clearly visible from the bike track (possibly the more likely scenario). I know it’s ‘only carp’, but I like exclusive access to the spots I find.

Anyway, I continued on a bit further, as there was a little hole a bit further down that I’d been meaning to try, but never got around too. Unfortunately things had to get worse before they got better. The northern bank was very elevated and I cast out and got ‘semi-snagged’ in a tree on the opposite side, however my float dropped down perfecting into a festering school of carp. “It’s only a matter of time” I thought before my float eventually submerges and the line frees itself from the tree overhead. And I’m pretty sure that would have been the case – until a duck came flying through – mid air – and got caught in my fishing line. My reel screamed like mad and I had to open the bail and break the line, before the duck flew off with half a spool of fishing line. I thought that might have been it for that spot. It wasn’t a very big area and carp do tend to spook easily in small holes. Nevertheless, I persisted and it paid dividends. A few ‘bobs’ of the float before I decided to strike and I was on. On the end was a nice little carp of about 55cm. It’s always nice when a new spot pays dividends.

newpot.jpg

After a while a passer-by alerted me there was a duck about 50m downstream that was caught in fishing line. This caused quite a scene with about 5-6 onlookers who were giving me dirty looks. I made my way down the elevated bank and walked down mid-stream on slippery rocks to where the duck was flapping about. With the assistance of a passer-by, I managed to untangle the duck. I know it’s not a good look, but it was seriously a case of bad luck. I didn’t even hook the duck or anything, he wasn’t chasing my bread, he literally got stuck in my line ‘mid-air’ between my rod and the water. Anyway, all’s well that ends well. The duck was freed and I cleaned up my fishing line. The distraught onlookers were at least pleased the duck was free. I am quite conscientious when I go fishing at GC. I try not to draw attention to myself – or other fishermen – by leaving carp on the bank, discarding fishing equipment, rubbish, etc. as I know it reflects poorly on the fishing community and I would soon have fishing banned in the creek if I did do such things.

After the whole duck debacle, I decided to try another spot. The father/son combo was still in my spot, so I decided to try another new spot. I had fished this spot before – even got a few hook-ups, but never managed to land anything there as it is so snaggy. Well today was the day I broke that curse. It was long before my float bobbled up and down and I had another carp on to the tune of 55cm. I kept on getting bites after that but couldn’t hook anything. For their size, carp really are timid biters, especially in the creek-type of situation. So I got 2 fish from 2 new locations! Was really happy with that. Like I said previously, it’s always good when a new spot pays dividends. I have a good feeling about the creek this year. It’s still fairly early on in the warmer months, but the carp are already biting!

+2

43384911_2127593827502878_2907680232188149760_n.jpg

2nd carp.jpg

Above: 2nd carp of the day in a 'new spot'

carp1.jpg
    First carp of the day!

4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    More mud suckers gone, well done. Cheers, Lyall.

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice! The first spot looks rather shallow but you still use a float. Or was there some deeper water?
    cheers
    Jim

6. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    The first spot - and the creek in general - is pretty shallow. After the first couple of metres (from the bank) there is a 'drop-off' to about waist or chest height. On a good day you can nearly see the bottom and all the carp one particular hole contains. Whilst this is good for sight fishing, it does present its own challenges, and that is it is hard to 'stalk' the carp without spooking them. Once the carp know you're there they seldom take a hook bait.

I nearly always use a float when fishing the creek. In the first pic the carp were congregated under the overhanging tree, as you'd probably expect.

7. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Got home early from work and was a bit tired…but not so tired that I couldn’t do a spot of fishing. It was a pretty good day, and the pressure was 1022 which is a pretty good sign apparently. So I hoped on my bike and rode to my ‘new’ spot. I was disappointed to find that the water was quite dirty from the recent rain we’ve had. This makes fishing in the creek difficult as you can’t sight fish and the fish take longer to find your bait, or in my case – they didn’t find the bait at all. I didn’t even have a nibble in my ‘new’ spot which I thought would be a sure thing this summer. I toyed with the idea of going home, but thought better of it, so headed to my ‘traditional’ spot. Here, the signs were a bit better – the water, although discoloured, provided plenty of carp silhouettes swimming about. And here, I was getting bites at least, although I was having trouble hooking them. I left my bread from last week in my bag and was still using it for bait. It had lost all its ‘doughiness’ and wasn’t staying on my hook for more than a second. I threw a heap of bread into the creek. This had a two-step effect; first, it attracted a lot of ducks; second, it attracted a lot of carp. I thought the carp were taking the piss. After the ducks disappeared they literally just swam under the bread and ‘boffed’ it off the surface – right in front of me. By this stage, what little bread I had was useless – it would just fly off the hook as soon as I cast out, but still the carp were smashing everything off the surface. This gave me an idea, or rather I remembered a piece of advice that a couple of people have suggested to me over the years; floating bread crust. It was literally the only option I had. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. So I put a hook through the bread crust, cast out, using the float as nothing more than a weight device that got my bait out to the area where the carp were. Now I had to play a game of cat and mouse…er, I mean duck and bread. I had to keep the bread away from the ducks that were swanning about. I managed to do this my throwing them some bread in an area away from my fishing line. Like they had done all night, the carp couldn’t help themselves with my bread on the surface. I saw a huge one swim up to ‘my’ bread crust next to the float and literally inhale the bread. It was so exhilarating watching this. My float submerged with gusto right alongside it. Pretty early on I knew it was a big one. I just hoped my gear – which I haven’t re-rigged since last summer – would hold up. As I was playing it I was praying to God that I wouldn’t lost it, that it wouldn’t get snagged or the line get cut on a rock or something. I really didn’t want to be reporting on the 70cm+ carp that got away (again). I knew it was big, but I didn’t really know how big. A couple of times I got in close in, was about to net it, and it just gave me a look of distain and basically said ‘I don’t think so’ and swam off again. I was so scared I was going to lose it. The fight seemed like an eternity, but I eventually managed to land it after 3 or 4 attempts to net it. It was Fu**ing huge! I literally had trouble carrying it up the bank (I had to wade in to net it). Then I started shaking. Then I got the bragmat out. 78cm. I’ll say that again: nearly 80cm. A new personal record. An official stonker. I shook some more. I think I went into shock for a bit. A really wanted to stop a passerby and get a photo with me and the beast, but was a little embarrassed to do so in such an ‘upmarket’ area. I kind of regret not doing it actually.

Isn’t it funny how an off-the-cuff, spontaneous decisions to go fishing that result in your best and biggest catch ever. I was this close to not going fishing today and I nearly packed up and left after I had no success in the first spot I went to. I am so stoked, words can’t describe it. A decision to kill a couple of hours before dark has resulted in my biggest catch ever. I’ve planned trips to go fishing and not even caught a carp half this size.

Official weigh-in was 78cm on the flat. A new personal record. A new personal record. But the possibilities remain. I honestly believe I have lost carp - in the creek and elsewhere - that are even bigger than this. The carp are out there.

43709514_1907716589347582_7366649797823954944_n.jpg 43745314_294395401287103_7072778789582798848_n.jpg 43770188_2274475102823562_2403128412219637760_n.jpg

43709514_1907716589347582_7366649797823954944_n.jpg 43745314_294395401287103_7072778789582798848_n.jpg

43709514_1907716589347582_7366649797823954944_n.jpg

43709514_1907716589347582_7366649797823954944_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Hen and Chook, diesel, kev209 and 4 others like this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    thumper carp there conacarpio would have had some grunt,well done. not much to eat though but the duck could have been!

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice!!!!:cool: What was your previous PB?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Thinking twice about haveing a carp comp!o_O

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  10. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    It certainly did put up a good fight, due to its sheer weight. I reckon it would have been 30-40lbs in the old scale. I'm not sure what lb line comes on those pre-spooled shimano reels - probably 10-12lb? But it did the job.

My previous best carp was 74cm - also a specimen taken from the creek. There are some thumpers in there. Funny thing is, even though I saw it take my bait, I didn't think it was that big...

diesel, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would be guessing the old style stretchy 9lb line, may not cast well but is good for subduing fish can take a flogging and not break, like the old cork handlines when I was a kid, showing my age now! its always fun hooking a bigger that expected fish then redling your gear and winning!
    Reminds me of fishing at eucenbene one evening lake was rising and catching lots of little trout 10 to 15 cms rising on grassy edge of bay, there was a typical small rise about 3 meters to my right in knee deep water and I thought I may as well drop a fly on it, so I just moved my rod over and lowered the fly bang! hard strike and quickly took me into the backing , 2kg brown lucky to get it in after it dived into weed.
    Been rainy shitty wheather up here near Gosford good jewfish wheather and plenty of free time so I am on a jewfish on plastics mission, never caught one on a lure.....yet.
    cheers

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018

13. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Well, I went down to the creek today to try and replicate yesterday's effort. More bait, more time, more fish right? Nope. Didn't even get a look in. Same spot, fish were still there, but not really interested in my bait. I moved around a bit and tried a few spots - got a couple of touches - but was unable to capitalise on my limited opportunities. Desperate not to go home fishless, I tried a landlocked pond that I frequent occasionally that is known to have carp in it. There was a guy there flicking soft plastics and catching small redfin, which this establishment is also known for. Again, I got a few touches before I finally managed to land a goldfish to the tune of 30cm just before dark. A bit disappointing after yesterday, but I was also happy that I at least caught something. But that's fishing I guess.

+1

43878828_367621190644204_4854527248914448384_n.jpg

43880615_710382172675078_3483471828586856448_n.jpg

14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    beats sitting at home whishing u were out fishing!

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  15. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    x2. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  16. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    I went out on Sunday for a sneaky fish in a land locked pond. I hooked into a 40-50cm carp in a tiny body of water that put up a real good fight. I was wrestling with it for a good minute or two before the hook came loose. When I retrieved my line I noticed the hook was bent - almost straight. This wasn't from the fish in question, but no doubt the 80cm mega carp I caught the other day, as it was on the same rod. Obviously my epic struggle with carpus goliath on Friday compromised the structural integrity of the hook. If she had gone for one more 'run' I might yet again be ruing 'the one that got away' (and there have been many of those over the journey). As for Sunday's effort, it was a bit disappointing I didn't land the fish, but at the same time I'm so glad I caught the monster carp and it was the 40-50cm model that got off. It's just a case of the cards falling my way (for once) I guess.

kev209, diesel, blair and 1 other person like this.
  17. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Headed down to the creek in coolish conditions. The creek had cleared up since last time I was there, so I knew I was in with a chance. I could see them swimming around, so it's just a case of putting the bait out there and waiting. Didn't get a bite straight away, but didn't have to wait long before I got a decent bite, but was unable to hook it. When I inspected my hook, I noticed it was fairly blunt, which is what tends to happen after you catch a few fish! Anyway, with a new hook on it was long before I got another bite and landed a nice 60cm carp. It put up a great fight with much vim and rigour that I was would expect from a fish almost twice its actual size. Carp really are fun to catch and are one of the best sport fishes around, in my opinion. Shortly after that, I landed a nice little Goldfish to the tune of about 30cm. Their sporting prowess isn't quite as appealing, but it was nice to catch something different. It went a bit quiet after that, so I tried a different spot for a bit, but when the cooler weather started rolling in, I decided to pack up and leave.

+2

44873776_2014997188797350_11869593094062080_n (5).jpg

44942068_272881410026896_7621421652890353664_n (1).jpg

44876419_192559984958706_6804953575421116416_n (1).jpg

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I don't think many people will disagree about your view on carp being a good fighting fish.
    Cheers
    Jim

19. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I won't, there great on light tackle

creekboy likes this.
  20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    they are bloody rod breaking bulldozers! I actually burnt my finger once when a carp suddenly took off and pulled the dry flyline over my fingers,

creekboy and kev209 like this.