1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Effect on Alice

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Jul 28, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn and I had booked a trip to Alice a while back, but had to cancel due to health issues. We haven't given up the idea though. Now with the National Road Transport Hall of Fame in administration and as of 29th of October 2019 you can't climb Uluru. [I couldn't anyway]. I was wondering how much Alice depends on these two attractions, and the effect it will have on the town. I know a few of the forum members have been there, and speak highly of it.

creekboy likes this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Kev, I have visited Uluru on numerous occasions and have never had any desire to climb it. It is something that has to be seen from a distance to fully appreciate the wonder that it is and the same goes for Kata Tjuta (the Olgas). Up close, they are huge, but step back a few kms and they are spectacular. The pic below of Kata Tjuta was taken at about 4 kms and the one of Uluru was about 6 kms.

279) Kata Tjuta, after over 1200 km of very rough road.JPG

288).JPG

Jeff

3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Great photos thank's Jeff

creekboy and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I took those photos when we had just completed a 4 day run across the Great Central Road from Laverton in WA, almost 1200 kms of bone jarring corrugations and deep sand. There is a lot to see out there Kev, it's harsh country but beautiful at the same time.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I didn't answer your question, Kev.

Uluru will always be a tourist destination because of it's uniqueness and from what I have read and heard about, the park management are going to concentrate on providing a different experience to climbing the rock. This will centre on guided walks to various places around the perimeter with the emphasis being on what these places mean to traditional owners. Sure, there will be those who are peeved and disgruntled because they cannot climb it, but that's the way it will be - they just have to accept it.

As for the National Road Transport Hall of Fame, I always thought that Alice Springs was an out of the way location for it and maybe it would have been better in a more accessible place that would attract more tourist numbers who specifically want to see it and nothing else. Perhaps if it was set up near the Birdwood Motor Museum in South Oz, it would be more viable. I don't think the town will suffer much if it goes belly up, Alice Springs was a tourist destination long before the Hall of Fame was established and always will be. It is the rugged beauty of the MacDonnell Ranges that draws most tourists to the area.

Jeff

6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    There has been talk for a while now of the Hall of Fame moving to Broken Hill.
    I don't think that will ever happen. As for it completely going under, there are a few large Transport companies, and the NT Government that may help keep it a float.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    creekboy likes this.
  7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, guys. Interesting topic and amazing photos too. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Ive climbed it would like to walk right around the base if I am ever out that way again. camped in pitinjara land for a while, good experience. What out for nutter bull camels if camping near the rock we camped a few k,s before it.

9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    We've been to the rock too. Great place to visit; incredibly unique in the world but have never desired to climb it and couldn't now anyway. We are not into trucks but somehow spent hours at the transport museum. I doubt it will be permitted to fold completely. Another great visit. We knew some of the people who had their older trucks there.
    Like some others, I've never understood why it was placed in the center of Australia. Must have been big financial incentives originally I think but that always runs out of steam over time. I doubt Broken Hill would be any better than the site at Alice. It's so big it needs thousands of people continuously going through. Close to a regional city seems more appropriate to me.
    As Jeff says, the Olgas are a great visit. They are amazing. We preferred our time there to being at the rock. We did a walk tour around the rock and it's a long walk. My guess suggest it's too long for many to undertake. It's 10km on a flat path and takes 3-4 hours.

blair, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yes seems odd placing museum out there, don't remember seeing but will have a look if out that way, there was a 1977 merecedees truck at jobsite the other day, what a classic, complete whith german ww2 military crosses on doors.

kev209 likes this.