1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Eildon Pondage! Great Fishery or Not??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Hewie, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    There has been a lot of negative posts on another site re the Eildon Pondage as a quality Trout fishery.
    :roll: :roll:
    Your thoughts please.

I live here but don't fish it - I prefer to go trolling in the BIG Lake!!
    ;) ;)

2. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Hewie, I haven't been to other sites but as I recall the fishing in the Pondage still goes on. I don't know what your opinions are and I would love to hear your comments.
    Do people still fish from behind the pondage wall not far from the trap?
    Don't know much about it so please tell us. I am interested in what goes on in different areas.

I don't go to other sites much because I find that discussions usually turn into arguments.

3. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Hi Nat,
    If you mean the spot immediately before the Pondage Gates on the Back Rd side - along side the wire fence, then yes.

That spot is one of the most popular on the pondage - because it is the deepest hole in the whole Pondage and as such can fish very well in the warmer weather.

This year has seen more 10lb plus Trout stocked into the pondage (and caught) than any other year in it's recent history.

I still don't fish it though, as I don't like the 'taste' of the stocked fish ... and because I am lucky enough to have a boat in which I can 'challenge' more varieties of fish the BIG lake.

4. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    "This is obviously NATIONAL BAG EILDON DAY ..... any one else get outa the wrong side of the bed today??"

5. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Thanks Nat,

The PM's over there have been getting a bit 'over the top & very nasty' as well, of late.
    It's a real shame, makes a person wonder why he bothers posting. Might just spend more time here, there seems to be a better class of people in here ......... the FANGVICCERS!!
    ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

6. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Hewie,
    I'm hoping that this site will be just as good as Fangvic but Fangvic (as you know) is more of a group that get together on organised/unorganised fishing trips and attendance to social events so is a group of its own kind which I have been a member of for just under 4 years.
    I think that Tacklebox is heading in the right direction if we can get more members from Victoria and particularly from interstate. I enjoy reading Victorian fishing reports and most interested in interstate reports. So keep them coming guys/girls.

Yes, there are a few Fangviccers in here but I'm finding that here (Tacklebox) we do talk about fishing and submit reports and stuff which is the way it should be.
    So when we're in here we are ..... TACKLEBOXERS with a BITE!

Cheers

7. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Well put Nat... What's the URL of Fangvic?

8. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Fangvic is by invitation and recommendation only. It originated from Fishnet and need to be a member of Fishnet to be invited. We are the Victorian based members. We have about 60 members.
    The next event we have is "Mates Day" in October and the organiser for that is John (Sparkesy1). If anyone is interested in what "Mates Day" is, let me know and I'll put up a new thread.

9. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Sorry to hijack your thread Hewie!

10. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    It's only because of you that we're here ..... hijack all you like Marc!!

:p :grin: :p :grin: :p :grin:

11. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    G'day Nat,

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. Things sure look very promising in here .... only time will tell, but so far so good.

TACKLEBOXERS ......... luv it.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

But I must admit ....... I prefer my tackle in Jocks - not Boxers. Guess I'm just an OLD fashioned type of guy.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

12. BigGummyCatcher

BigGummyCatcher New Member

Sep 10, 2005
    I ve never fished the Pondage but my old man has and hes got photos of him with trout to 12 pound but he said they fight like that shoe i caught the other day...

13. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    G'day Luke,

That is a bit of an unfair generalisation.

Some Trout don't have much fight, especially if they're caught soon after stocking.

But catch one that's been in there a while and they can really test your light gear and turn you inside out with their powerful runs and acrobatics.

Many an experienced fisho has been busted off by a pondage trout.
    ;-)

14. fishem

fishem Guest

pondage blues

ill agree that the pondage doesent fish as well as it should, though the numbers the DPI are putting in there i think it should b alot better. having said that the bigest trout iv caught have been from there 25 inch rainbow at 4 kilos the bigest. I mainley fish the upper goulburn up to woodspoint but ill continu to fish the pondage. Also my 4x4 runs str8 gas and eildon has gas jamison dosent yet. suport the pondage as it helps suport local buisness in eildon FISHEM