1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Epoxy or polyester resin

Discussion in 'Equipment, Accessories and Maintenance' started by Garfield28, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi all,

I'm trying to fix a few things on my fibreglass boat before putting it up for sale. I have a few small screw holes and a few gelcoat cracks that I've grooved out to fill, and I'm just wondering if I should use an epoxy or a polyester resin? I bought some epiglass HT450 which is like cabisol and I planned to mix it with resin to thicken it up like a putty to fill in the holes and cracks. I mixed a batch of the epiglass 450 with some polyester resin that I have here and it doesn't seem to be going off and hardening at all.

I also need to do a small bit of fibreglassing too, to fix a molded seat so if I can use whichever resin to do both that would be great.

Appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Geoff

blair likes this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    For the screw holes and a few gelcoat cracks I would use flow coat

blair likes this.
  3. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi Tackle, thanks for the reply mate.

I chose to use resin with the powder so I can make it thick like a putty as it needs to be shaped a bit as the holes are on a sharp bend on some.

blair and Tackleberry like this.
  4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I use Sellys Knead it for everything, well worth taking a look even seals radiators,as well as anything under water'
    Wally

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Wally I keep forgetting about this stuff I first used it over 20 years ago I think it was when it first came out absolutely magic stuff but not cheap ......
    Edit
    I have noticed they have many different types for different jobs now makes it even better

blair, Madfisher and Dickson like this.
  6. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Went the epoxy resin and Fitbit all sorted boys.
    Thanks

Tackleberry and Master Baiter like this.