1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Eucenbene trip(pre corona virus)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by blair, Mar 28, 2020.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    headed up to Anglers reach 22nd sunday was supposed to be riding MX but track closed so good day to drive up to avoid Sydney traffic.
    Monday morning got up .9 celcius a bit colder than expected but turned out to be nice day launched boat and headed 'upstream' for about 200 meters and tied off to a tree and cast a size 8 red and black Matuka around for a while on clear sink tip scientific anglers line I got from the USA but line has terrible memory and tangles easily, not buying anything from USA anymore fkn dheads sent tropical line in trout line packaging, missed one take probably because of line memory delaying feel and reaction time. Fish showing on finder about 4.8 meters down. Water temp 17c. New moon.
    Went upstream further and had a look and cast around , no luck. Fished around boat ramp bay and had another 5 takes failed to hook them up as well.
    Headed into cooma to get new sunnies and some clear sinktip line, broke mako,s when launching boat not even a scratch on them in 10 years. New Mako blades very light and comfortable. Prefer a size 10 Matuka but have run out. 100_1364.JPG ble. Prefer a size 10 Matuka but have run out and could buy any locally.

Rod Bender, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Gadzooks man, have you lost your marbles? You actually got up to go fishing in .9 degrees or did you have a bit of a typo there with the dot before the 9?

Jeff

blair and kev209 like this.
  3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    no was .9 celcius it was a bit cool that morning better than -4.0C to -10c on previous trips.The writing under the pic is a typo though, could should be couldn't and the whole line was covered up by pic before I posted so I wrote above the pic. Not sure about my marbles I think I still have most of them and about 4 brain cells left:D

diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    000_0007.JPG 000_0003.JPG heres my camp complete whith rustic?rusty fireplace. What more could a man want?. Tuesday morning was a bit warmer foggy no wind headed down to the dam and did a couple of drifts along it, new Rio 7wt clear tip intermediate cast well and sunk as quick as previous sink tip floating lines ive owned almost NO MEMORY and almost no tangles had a take which I wasnt sure was even a take but did hook it and wasn't sure if it was a fish, was about 70mm trout. Wind picked up a bit and pushed me in to dam wall so headed up to breamar to have a look around found a nice looking bay whith weed bed so drifted midge pupas around for a while , no luck.
    Went further in and tied up to some trees and fished whith powerbait for a while , nothing so went over to bank and drifted midge pupas around no luck I never seem to get anything on my midge pupas in eucenbene but do everywhere else so put on size 14 brown beadhead nymph on point and a 14 black flashback beadhead nymph 000_0004.JPG first cast 35cm fat brown. was hard to get a decent pic but brown trout know when you are about to press the shutter button and start flipping down the bank this was about the 5th attempt! Lucky for him I didn't feel like making a fire when I got back to camp so he was released. Fished around there for a couple of hours no evening rise or hatches I blame southeastery breeze so headed back to camp did 000_0005.JPG a bit of trolling and picked up small rainbow.

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice effort Blair! Good to see some non-carp pics on the forum!
    Cheers
    Team Bender

kev209, diesel and blair like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Top stuff Blair.

A bloody good hot fire in that rustic?rusty fireplace. ;)

Jeff

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    didn't get round to having a fire usually don't on solo fishing missions. Would have been nice to have it going though.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    OK. Comments even if not welcome.
    Great report post Blair.
    Love the sage rod. What weight?
    Did they pay you a commission for the advertising?
    Don't recognise the reel. What brand?
    My young bloke (55) said the lake fishing has been hard all through summer.
    You seem to have proved that.
    Love that matuka. It's really bushy and bulky. Good body shape when wet.
    Our tinny up there is called 'Matuka Blue'.
    My matuka tie is just a little more sparse than that. (not much) Is it a commercial tie?
    I like Webster boats.
    Methinks it might be just a tad too late for nymphs. As you said, nothing hatching.
    That's the best conditioned rainbow I've see from Eucumbene in a long while.
    They were all like that years ago, regardless of size.
    Sadly, most are longer and skinny in comparison these days.
    Wish I was there. .9 is not cold fin the mountains. Seen/felt it well below that a few times.
    Had ice on the lake at one stage.
    Warmer weather generally fishes better as I see it.
    Perhaps I fish better when it's warm.
    Noel
    Keep 'em coming

kev209 likes this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    7 weight, I wish, cheapo light plastic and aluminium dragonfly, the alpine angler reports were good I think March is good things cool off a bit, the yellow wingers were still clicking about.
    I take it hard means good.
    Yep commercial tie I like a slimmer one as well might try and tie some one of these days.
    Webster is a good all rounder great for motoring up to a bank and just walk off the front, very stable.
    The brown was really fat as well, lots of rainbow fingerlings about. Pelicans were enjoying them.
    The sou easter made the fishing slow.

kev209 likes this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    All good but I've never in my life heard a bad fishing report from ANY tackle shop and nowadays believe none of them.
    Noel
    Ever cynical of those blokes. Too much vested interest

kev209 and blair like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Wednesday had a sleep in, got up about 9am no FLIES...…. till about miday everyday only 1 or 2 but bloody annoying forgot airoguard. Bloke who arrived at ramp same time as me on Tuesday got a few rainbows out in the windlanes I think, all full of mudeyes and taking flys whith black in them, reasonable amount of mudeye hatching going on.
    Fished Wattle bay in the arvo still a bit windy s/e not much doing could get a good drift so head to other side and down a bit, nice bay whith s/e on back and weed bank threw a black nymph about and got a couple of fingerlings. Put a black size 8 matuka on towards dusk and got a few pecks off the fingerling fished till dark again no hatches or rises s/e breeze, drawing fly in until hitting weed then lifting rod clearing weed off hook then recasting, last cast drew fly In hit weed so stopped turned on light and immediately noticed I still had a few meters of flyline out not the usuall meter then the line bucked and I grabbed it an obviously good fish on then hook came out as I has failed to set it thinking it was weed probably a good brown. Had a few more casts then headed back. Headed home next day took the long way through tumut in case of ACT border closing, knowing my luck probably would have closed border 5 seconds before exiting ACT spectacular scenery of where fires burnt away bush off the mountains around Blowering dam, 1 looked like a giant anthill no burnt trees or anything left just dirt, regretfully didn't take pics. would have stopped for a fish but a bit windy. Boat pic, fly rod In vertical holder goes on deck whith reel forward when going near trees etc, will often stand on seat while casting , canopy onboard in case of rain or to keep out of sun if baitfishing. 100_1365.JPG 100_1367.JPG

kev209 likes this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    While I use the English Hardy fly reels and have several, it must be only the snob appeal as a fly reel does nothing other than keep a wayward line in order.
    It's been missing for years now but once had a reel called a 'Gearfly' and had a geared drive, about 2.5-1 to retrieve line much faster. It was perhaps given away I feel. It was great when you had a decent fish swimming fast toward you. A fly standard fly reel is close to useless. You can't wind fast enough. Hand stripping is the only option that gives you a chance. Another I have is American, made by West Bend. It is automatic and has no handle/winding knob. It took a bit of practice for me to adjust but it really works. It runs off a ribbon spring like what used to be in clocks and things. It winds up while stripping line and depending on the setting you use will let a fish run and automatically retrieve the line as the weight comes off. All this is controlled by a lever which is controlled by one finger under the rod. Was never game to use it in NZ where it was common to have a full line and thirty metres of backing in the wild water river. But sometimes you still ran out of string and were done for.
    I never liked reels that had a frame around the outside of the spool. I used to fish with zero grag and brake by putting a hand on the spool.
    The bay you went to from Wattledale; was it the small one on the east side just before you go through Tolbar straights into the broadwater and Grace Lea Island? If so it would be Waterhen Bay. trouble for me is with the low water, many places I fished would have grass growing on them.
    Even that baby is a fat little girl. Would have been a battle royal banking that one on your own.
    Noel.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    kev209 and blair like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yea lucky I didn't tear me out of the boat! lol. the bay was only a kilometer or so south of anglers.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.