1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Finally felt the rod bucking.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I feel for my mates in Vic who are not allowed to even solitary fish , crazy. Up here we are allowed to fish locally.
    I have done a few trips close to town looking for Carp(anything really) with out much success, it seems even the carp are hiding from the virus. But decided to do a short trip to a little high altitude lake i love and most people hate lol.
    Now the success rate here for me is less then 50% of trips, the carp are extremely fat and well feed, spooky and fussy.
    As i arrived i was shocked to see how low it was about 1.2m below the spillway. It is only 6hc when full. I walked up around the back on the flats and found some mud rising from feeding fish but could not pinpoint one.
    Walked right around the back and down the far side when i spot some mud rising in a corner of a small bay, then i spot a tail waving but he is in the middle of weed. I was using a dark woolly worm with a metal bead and kept casting to the near side of the weed bed hoping he would poke his head out. Then I realised he had moved to the far side of the weed bed. Every now and again i could just see a tail moving. On about the 3rd cast I thought i was snagged on weed but then the rod bucked( O what a feeling) and i was on, first i thought a small fish of maybe 6 to 8lb but this fish was a bit like a bull dozer and has hard to turn. But eventually i slid a superb fat 73cm carp over the weed that pulled the scales down to 11lb.
    Well satisfied i walked around to my turn around piont, then retraced my steps , when i got to the area where i had seen stired up mud i was extra carefull and spent 5 min getting into position. Once there i could see no obvious signs of fish , but put a cast out in the general area, and came up tight. I was quite astounded really as i did not expect this. While expecting a smaller fish this one was heavier and stronger then the last one. After following her along the bank i eventually slid a superb fish of 77cm and 15lb up the bank. Not bad on a 6wt fly rod.
    Geoff or kev there are some pics on fb tacklebox if you would be good enough to drag them accross for me.
    Cheers Pete

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    94521828_3150676804956722_4951415650913353728_n.jpg
    94615550_3150676938290042_8978381394279399424_n.jpg
    94889169_3150690374955365_6397297007924346880_n.jpg

Healthy looking fish Pete.

Jeff

3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice effort Pete! I think it will be May 11th at the earliest before we get the all clear to go fishing. Then we may have restrictions in regards to distance we can travel.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Thought Team Diesel had actually manned up and started catching carp!!!!:cool:

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Haha, I have caught them, but I would never purposely target them.

Jeff

blair, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks for that Jeff, those big fat carp goes as hard as Barra I have been told with a lot more endurance. The carp in this lake are the best looking carp I have come accross. The redfin , odd trout and odd golden must keep them culled , as they have not over populated and if any thing seem to be getting bigger( maybe I am the main culler lol)
    Pete

Master Baiter, blair, diesel and 2 others like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've gotta admit they are fun to catch on light gear, but I wouldn't put them in the same fighting class as a size for size barra. Having a barra smash a lure and then walk across the surface on her tail is an experience every fisho should enjoy and if you can teach them mud suckers to do that, then maybe....

As for endurance - yep, they hang in there.

I spent 10 days camped next to the Murray near Renmark and landed 156 carp on whiting gear. A lot of fun, but got sick of catching fish that I couldn't eat or should say wouldn't eat.

036) Carp 49 of 56.JPG
    037).JPG
    038) Purple Swamphen, counting carp.jpg
    Jeff

Master Baiter, kev209, blair and 2 others like this.
  7. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    I have had ones in shallow water smassh through the surface, but granted i have never had one tail walk . But the real attraction for me is the sight fishing. Inn some areas they are that easy to catch it it is not a challange and can become boring, but they are equally as smart as brown trout or Golden Perch and soon learn once they have been fished to a few times. The ones that live in the Macquarie at Bathurst you are doing well to get with in 50 yards of them, but i still try to hone my skills. Plus if i am needed at work I can be there in 20 mins lol.
    Pete

kev209, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Perhaps if I lived in a region where carp were the most common species, I would most likely target them, especially on ultra light spin gear.

Jeff

Madfisher, kev209 and blair like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Always a good feeling that rod bucking whith a good fish on! heres a pic of my first attempt at fur flies I cut the fur about 6mm longer past hook eye then folded it back for the head some of the heads have bulges like eyes and squeezing them made them shape a bit better then a drop of superglue on the thread at tie points. Not sure what type of fur it is but I like the green colour to match mudeyes. Will tie some black ones but have run out of black fur, although my mrs cat has black fur but for some reason it is highly suspicious of me and I couldn't quite call it close enough to borrow some fur off it:rolleyes: if I get caught I will be in trouble. 100_1586.JPG

diesel, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  10. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Actually doubling it back makes the fly a lot more durable. The bottom fly is a good mudeye representation. Don't forget you can still dub a bit more on to the head if you want.
    Also keep and eye out for possums that have been hit my cars, you only need the tail. Normally I take the lot and dispose of the body and keep the tail. You can never have enough possum tails.
    Pete

diesel and kev209 like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thx pete I will be watching out for possums while I am driving more than I usually do , ready to accelerate er I mean brake quickly. The ones my mate used I think were roo fur just a clump tied on no head and flapping in the current above hook when it was stripped.

12. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    We used kangaroo many years ago, and they worked ok of a night, but rabbit is better for the day time, much softer with better movement, and possum will work better then roo on rough dark nights. I use to have a copper mate let me know where he seen road kills possums while on duty. I just had to give him a few flies which was fair enough. His work mates apparently use to have a chuckle about our body recoveries , lol.
    Pete

diesel, kev209 and blair like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    When he needed some flies he probably shot the possums whith his sidearm then drove over them lol.

diesel, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  14. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    LOL, no not my mate, he is as straight as . But it was very handy having first hand info on where they where lying.
    Pete

15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Apart from the extremely rare and endangered Madagascan Hairy Arse Twit Bird, I can't think of any critter that has green fur.

Talking about getting tipoffs from police, many years ago when I lived in Sydney and my brother was still in uniform stationed at Kogarah, he phoned me in the early hours of one morning asking if I wanted a half grown sheep. My brother and his partner had found the sheep wandering on the road at Hurstville, so they caught it and then didn't have a clue what to do with it.

I felt it was my civic duty to accept the offer and a week later the sheep was the star attraction at a backyard bbq - one of my neighbors provided the spit. What else could a man do, I'm sure it was illegal to keep a sheep in a suburban Sydney yard except when it is roasting over a bed of coals. :D

Jeff

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Madfisher, blair and kev209 like this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The fur I used was a dyed green I don't know what animal it is off the labeling on the packaging has gone, it looked like some sort of wool or may have been the arse of a Madagascan twit bird, if the flys work well I dont know where I will be able to get more of that fur. may have to take a trip to madagascar:)

17. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Blair one of the most effective day time flies in Euc and indeed most lakes is a Tom Jones, tied with a green stiffish fur. I quickly subed a green rabbit fur .
    Pete

18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Might knock a few of them as well. Got plenty of time at present .

kev209 and diesel like this.
  19. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Best not to tie them to big, about size 10 , is good.

diesel, kev209 and blair like this.
  20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have found that as well pete , have done well whith size 10 matukas sometimes.

diesel, Madfisher and kev209 like this.