1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fins 40G braid.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Has anyone used it? Hi peoples, I have already purchased a couple spools of this braid as I have a few reels to spool up. So why am I asking about this braid if I already have it? I purchased it to go on a couple baitcasters. I have other brand braids as well that I will be trying out. I have baitcasters ranging from a Shimano Aldebaran to a Calcutta Conquest as well as cheaper ones. I also have spin reels that need spooling. I am not after suggestions for other options to try but in a nutshell...if someone has first hand experience with 40G and do not think it is that good a braid, I will put it on a cheaper baitcast that may not be used as much. If it is a good braid, it will end up on a reel that will be used frequently. Or if it is suited better for spin reels etc...I am happy to hear people's experiences.
    cheers
    Jim

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    56798231-65CA-4193-B84D-0B9E7469EF00.jpeg Hi Jim, personally I hate braid tried it once on a windy day got a loop on the reel pulled it off till I came to the loop, and it got in a bit of a mess. So I put it in the bin and stayed with my catgut.
    Wally

3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Wally and Jim. I have never tried it and never will, mono has always worked for me. Cheers, Lyall.

4. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I think it's pretty good a have one reel with 4 pound and another with 25 pound it's pretty strong line and casts really well knot strength is really good I can't fault it will definitely keep using it
    Cheers mick.

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've got one of my Chronarchs spooled with 25lb 40G for chucking hard body surface lures on barra and it's good line, casts better than Fins Original PRT and holds knots well. I think I read somewhere that the 25lb line breaks up around 60lb, but I'm yet to test it on anything with that pulling power. I can't fault it.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. Lyall and Wally, I still use mono a lot. I believe there are some situations where braid comes into its own. Especially with baitcasters.

Jeff...when the line was released it came with specs which compared the stated breaking strain to the actual breaking strain! I don't know why they don't use the 'actual' and leave it at that.
    40g-specs.jpg
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Spec checker!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Ha Ha, I don't like bait casters either, I had two attempts and ended up with the same result as the braid in the photo on this post. That was over 40years ago. I swapped it for a spear with a light attached and leads to a battery on my waist. Had limited success at Barwon Heads on the town side above bridge wading for flounder.

8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That might have been the specs I saw a while back and it was the 45lb that broke at around 60lb and not the 25lb. I think the reason they understate the actual breaking strain is so that the line will perform better than stated specs suggest - all part of marketing, I guess. Maybe they should provide both the stated and the actual breaking strains as part of the marketing strategy so that those who are looking for more line capacity can downsize to a lower stated breaking strain with the knowledge that the actual b/s will handle the fish they are targeting.

Jeff

creekboy and Rod Bender like this.