1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fires.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Rod Bender, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    We all would be well aware of the current fire situation around the country. We seem to be behind here in Vic, as in we haven't had the severe fire activity yet that Qld and NSW has had. But it is only a matter of time as Vic is deemed to be the highest risk area for fires in Aus...unless things have changed.

I have noticed some comments on threads regarding fires so thought I would start this new thread. Looking at the weather here in Vic, as we head toward the weekend, the fire weather is worsening. I am a vol with the CFA but in a non-operational role. I may find myself on standby in Incident Control Centres on 'bad days'. Nowhere near as bad as the guys who have to work out in the heat when the fire starts.

Does anyone else here have an involvement with any service that helps out? Or is anyone here at risk of having their property impacted by fire? As I write this I just received an 'alert' on Vic Emergency for a grass fire in nearby Mooroopna!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Reminding everyone not to do anything stupid this summer!

Old fisho, blair, creekboy and 4 others like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Mooroopna I was born there ......
    Now the one thing that really shits me about bush fires here I Aus is the hole country watched what happened here in Vic years ago and well over a hundred died and now look at what is happening up in NSW and QLD the pollies responsible should be locked up .
    They crap on with their woke engenders on the causes but there is only one truth fire won't burn without fuel ......

Old fisho, blair, Bluefin and 4 others like this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    ... And the bloody greenies got in their ears and said there should be no controlled back-burning in national parks and state parks in NSW- now look how much of the state is burned!!!!.

I use the NSW RFS App "Fires Near Me" and its pretty good, but nothing compared to being alert and aware of your own surroundings. As I back on to a nature reserve and have lived here for nearly 5years - we USED to see the local council clearing up the fence lines and actually work, but no all they do is move the sticks around to create fule laden areas with no containment lines between our fences and the nature area... I have to admin Central Coast Council is pretty **** when it comes to doing much except making shitloads of $$$ for themselves and giving sweet FA back to the community.

Such a shame, I know some things cannot be avoided, but I reckon controlled back-burning would have prevented much of the current disaster we have in NSW. I also reckon the Aboriginal Elders know more about the local areas and how to effectively back-burn than anyone in the Emergency Services or works in State and National Parks. I think the elders should be consulted and work with National and State Parks to effectively back-burn in high risk areas.

... Just my 2c

Old fisho, blair, Madfisher and 3 others like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I don't know if the 'greenies' can be held responsible for the current fire situation, Anthony. The lack of controlled burning is solely due to the climatic conditions that have turned the bush into a virtual powder keg as we have seen in recent times.

Most of NSW and Qld have been in the grip of extreme drought for at least the past 3 years with some areas drought declared for up to seven years, no rain means drier vegetation which means a better fuel source. As an ex volunteer fire fighter, I'm fully aware of the risks associated with controlled burning when conditions are not right, get it wrong and there is most likely a fire totally out of control.

It's easy for people to blame others when disasters such as the current fires occur, but there has been a trend over the past few decades called a 'tree change' in lifestyle. A lot of people have elected to quit the suburban life that they lived most of their lives and they have moved out into bushland settings with very little thought of not so much of what may happen in the event of fire, but what will happen. They want to be surrounded by nature and it comes at a cost that often results in loss of property and life. One does not have to be a mental giant to realise that if you live on a flood plain you will eventually have to contend with a flood and if you live in the bush, you will eventually have to deal with fire.

I do not blame any political party or group for the current fire situation, I blame humans in general for making such a mess of the planet - no other critter has done the damage that our species has done.

I'm not a greenie, far from it, but I live in the bush and have done so most of my life. I like the bush, I respect the bush and above all, I care for the bush. I suppose I could say that I have an environmentalist view of the bush, the same view that I have towards our waterways and the oceans.

That's my rant for the day.

Jeff

Old fisho, blair, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  5. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    We had our bags packed. But it went south, away from us. I also volunteer with the Salvo's. I have fed the Firies at Glen Inness and evacuees at Maclean and Willawarrin, Feeding evacs is very emotional !!!!! But i really enjoy talking to everyone. A lot of people thank me, But there is more joy in giving than receiving !!!! Howard .

creekboy, kev209, Old fisho and 5 others like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn and I went for a country drive the other week, and the number of houses we say with trees growing within maybe 3 meters of there houses, one had firewood stacked against the side of the house. What ever happened to the firebreaks on both sides of the property fences? in places along the roads the grass was about a meter high. The amount of fuel at the base of the trees alongside the roads is bloody ridiculous.

creekboy, Old fisho, blair and 3 others like this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Should not be a tree within 30m - 50m of a dwelling .

creekboy, Old fisho, blair and 2 others like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Is that a law, regulation or common sense Tac.

9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    UNCOMMON sense

Sorry Kev but it ain't so common any more ....... not from what I see toy to day ......

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Controlled back-burning by Vic's Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
    , has earned the nick name as the Cinders and Ashes Dept as they are responsible for starting more fires than Nature. Just as well we have a CFA.
    As Kev pointed out all the rubbish around the house are prone to the flying embers etc.
    Plus Snakes love logs up the side of a house as it can conceal it's self very well and has acsess to the dogs water and the mice that goes through the rubbish bin.
    Yep very silly or brave.
    Wally

11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    That's sparks and embers up here and it was because it is run by over educated dickheads from uni .

Funny how the problem never existed when my uncle was running things in East Gippsland back in the late 70s and early 80s and they burnt a lot back then and fires were a lot easier to fight , all you have to do is talk to the old timers up swifts creek and benanbra they have seen dozens of so called catastrophic fires and the one thing that is common on all of them is when the fire hits a burn area it slow dramatically.
    But the media does not want to hear about this at all ......

creekboy, Old fisho, blair and 3 others like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    A friend was with the MFB for many years. He was one of a group of MFB Firies that were sent to help fight a bush fire, I forget the location it was a while ago.
    When he got home he said he would prefer to fight house or factory fires, bush fires were so unpredictable. He said the CFA could read the fire, I think it was an older CFA Firie who pointed out a few things to him. His opinion of the CFA volunteers Firies was very high and said they knew there stuff.

creekboy, Old fisho, Dickson and 3 others like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The difference between the Metro firies and the Country firies Kev is that most of the city blokes are pyromaniacs and will readily admit the fact. They don't light fires, but they live for the thrill of extinguishing them. The country blokes take a different view, for them it is more a matter of survival and protecting not just their own, but the whole community.

Many years ago when I did a fire wardens course in South Australia run by the Adelaide Metropolitan Fire Service, I could see the gleam in the eyes of the instructors when it came time to demonstrate the use of different extinguishers, especially when we torched a magnesium alloy wheel rim, one of the hardest fires to extinguish. One of the instructors even commented that it was his favourite part of the training module and he would be happy to attend truck fires only. He loved the intensity of them.

Jeff

14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I fully agree with Anthony regarding the problem with national parks & reserves. IMO, there are far too many national parks and most of them in NSW are close to where most of the population live. The map below is not current, but gives a fair idea of what has become an ongoing problem.

14_map14-1.png

Jeff

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  15. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Interesting chat guys. I grew up on a farm in the central tablelands of NSW, and have noticed genuine farmers rarely loose there house, sheds yes but not the house. Fringe dwelling greenie types will have trees over hanging the house and wonder why they get burnt. A good example of this is in the blue mountains, mind you the local council would most likely stop them removing the trees any way.
    cheers and keep safe guys
    Pete

diesel, creekboy, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  16. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    A local chestnut farm in Tolmmie Vic still stood after a fire swept through. The farm on the edge of the bush within several yards of it was stopped by the Chestnut trees they were badly singed on the outsides but stopped the fires. Apparently the European trees are reasonably good fire breaks.
    Wally

diesel, creekboy, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  17. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    diesel, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Looks like a nice area wally, hope it is still as green as the pic especially the bushes next to house. handy to have lake nearby and alpine areas.

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have fires nearby to the west and am hanging about in case any spot fires start , no fuel to burn round my house but neighbour has. Was planning heading to south coast then to warnambool VIC but will wait and see what is happening whith fires.
    I agree there should be more burning off when conditions are right. The only good thing about the fires for me is that I got "smoked off" work a few times and went home whith full days pay. heh heh.

20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    National park : haven for bushfires and feral animals no fun allowed.