1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

FISH PICS (AKA SKITING)

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Sep 11, 2019 at 7:18 AM.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Just running a few more pics from Tuross
    They bring back great memories
    Noel
    Lucky to be here and glad to be a fisher
    Grand daughter Natasha with
    her matched pair of 48s from two casts. DSCF0682.JPG

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:26 AM
  2. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Same lovely young lady with a beautiful brown from Eucumbene.
    Also a couple of years later.
    Noel
    NATASHA'S TROUT.JPG

3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Considering applying for an Australian record as the smallest ever caught on plastics.
    Fully 60mm long.
    Did not fight much.
    Noel

Photo0029.jpg

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Some people are hopeless.
    Inserted the wrong image.
    It was really pretty small and must justify a record.
    Perhaps it would be denied because of a too heavy line class.
    Noel
    Catch and kill exponent
    Photo0030.jpg

5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Someone wrote and asked if the fish was trying to mount the plastic. I never asked.

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Here's a pair of good table sized barra (just over 70)
    One was my first on a fly; the other took a great big surface popper.
    Both came from Shady Camp; well known to Diesel.
    Noel DSCF0855.JPG

Dickson, diesel, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    A bit fuzzy. Meant to be a good photo from my phone.
    Close to 8lb salmon from the lake on a Squidgy 'wasabi' fish.
    Someone rocked the boat

DSCF0657.JPG

A fine jack rainbow from Whitakau (as in 'fit a cow') a famous pool of the upper Tongariro River in NZ. Had 12 or fourteen trips over there. Fantastic.

IMG_0032.jpg

Dickson, creekboy, Madfisher and 3 others like this.
  8. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Great pictures and memories mate, love it. Thanks for sharing them. (Insert 2 big thumbs up here)

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    nice rainbow Noel, is that near whykicka moocow?

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The dirty little buggers took a liking to the soft plastics, what type of fish are they Noel, they look like a fish I caught fishing off rocks when I was kid, stung me on the end of the finger while dehooking probably worst pain I have ever felt lasted for about an hour I think fortesque it had a spike on the end of each gill plate.

11. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Ha ha, shouldn't laugh really but when I lived for a couple of yrs in Qld there were a few fish that all had the name "happy moments!" Some were crap, but some taste fantastic. Before I knew what was what I caught a few, cooked some, rejected many but one was absolutely delicious. So fished for them. But if its back spike stuck you it was like a hot poker in your skin that lasted for hours. One hit me and had me drive home, arm/hand out the window lifted above the car roof. If you dropped it and let gravity pump the blood it was like getting hit over and over and over with a hammer on the finger each heart beat. I kept fishing for them as they were delicacy to me even though the locals thought I was mad doing so. But yeah, Happy Moment mate.

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Blair; don't know the species at all but looks like something that lives near a reef.
    Bugger of a thing to fillet though. Cutting around the lateral bones took a while.
    Noel
    fish filletter el supremo

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Great photos keep these coming this is what a fishing forum is really about, well done Noel.
    Wally

14. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    (just figured I can add a smiley) so what did it taste like? Chicken?
    Hey my smiley vanished when posted, ahh well, was a moment of happiness short lived!

15. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Why didn't you tell the silly old 'b*****' he forgot to resize the pics. Not getting better with age even thought there's more of it.
    Might have to try again.
    Noel
    Forget me not.

kev209 likes this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Have another look at a more sensible size:

IMG_0032A.jpg

DSCF0682A.jpg

DSCF0657A.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    kev209 likes this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Not unusually, Bill arrives 0830 yesterday for another sojourn up the river. he actually threw a bit of a cloud over what had been said about the fishing when I've been alone; compared to what happens when we both go. I've been getting around twenty each trip. Between us we never get that. His comments made me a bit sad. I have long believed that I catch enough fish to need no embellishments. Though it hurt at the time, it won't damage the friendship. I'll get over it, and get on with it.
    We had a discussion about my bait pumping beliefs (not theories) but nothing changed. We again finished up with about 300 little pieces of worm. They're OK when fresh but don't have the same wriggle as a full one after being in the bucket a while. Bill is not interested in changing ideas; believing he has it all sorted. He gets far less fish than I usually and I'm no expert; I just work harder at it. Headed to the usual spot with a rising tide and 50% cloud cover. Looked good to me even though we had a bit of breeze. As a stern anchor he uses one of the folding gadgets and I thing they are useful as mammary appendages on a masculine bovine. The blades are so thick in relation to the weight; they simply don't dig in and hold here. They drag so the boat moves. May be OK in other waters with a different bottom. So we swung in the wind, continually dragging baits on the bottom which is a no-no to me. We still got half a dozen on board and they were all between 32 and 37. That's fine. Then he wanted to investigate Bumbo Creek which joins the river where we fish. That was OK with me having only been a hundred metres above the bridge, it was his boat; he's boss, so away we went. At about 3kmh we travelled around 3km upstream. Not a lot of point to that as there's little change in any of it. It's nice water an d will produce some good flatties soon I guess. But we didn't fish. With a couple of hours of the afternoon now gone; we returned to the sand flats. All Bill wanted to do was get hard in to the bank out of the breeze, even though it's 50m from where the fish are. In the deeper water we caught lots. Bream and tarwhine about 10cm, whiting around15, and some toads. We never improved our score but should have.
    Noel
    Endlessly seeking fishing perfection---never finding

IMG_20190913_143645A.jpg
    Typical of Bumbo Creek water. Much is around 3-4m deep with lots of tree snags for bass and estuary perch.

Dickson and kev209 like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    My best ever trout. That doesn't mean the biggest but the best. Perfection.
    Just three years old and weighed in at nine and a half pounds.
    From NZs Tongariro River.
    Never believed in trophy fish but this one taught me one simple thing.

'I'd never caught a trophy fish before' DSCF2155TBX.jpg They
    stand out in the crowd.

Madfisher, diesel, Dickson and 3 others like this.
  19. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Beautiful fish. I sometimes think I should have done that with my pb trout. But I ate it instead!

kev209 likes this.
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It was quite a few years ago Chill. Cost me $500 then, plus $170 to get it back into the country.
    No regrets.
    Noel

Chili and kev209 like this.