1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

fishing lake eucenbene last week

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by blair, Oct 4, 2018.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi all,went up to eucenbene for a few days last week, lake is rising and was 22% put mates tinnie in at anglers reach and did some looking around on 1st day but tinnie wouldn't get on the plane probably just the altitude only 15 hp, threw some lures and flies around no luck so got a nice fire going at camp and had a few drinks, dog (shottee) had a great time chasing rabbits around campsite.
    2nd day drove to old adaminiby so mate could make some work phone calls and had a look around then drove down to lake and tried 2 spots got bogged ,should have known better driving on recently exposed lake bed, trying to avoid walking lazy bugger! , winched out then walked down and threw some flies about didn't walk to spot that looked good as mate has bung knees and back. Went back to anglers and threw some big woolly buggers around only thing I hooked was Australia a few times, Anthony started bait fishing whith power bait and grub and almost immediately hooked and landed a nice brown a bit over a kilo on power bait, I then threw out same bait and 10 minutes later got a brown a bit under a kilo on grub. went back to camp and cooked 1st brownie south African style (some S A. blokes showed me how when I was camping at Denison)
    Split fish from inside (like a smoked kipper) pour plenty of olive oil on flesh side then sprinkle plenty of rock salt on same side put In flat mesh cooker/holder and burn the **** out of it over hot coals for 5 minutes skin side 1st turn over and burn again for 5 minutes, beautifull smoky flavour, Anthony impressed, like me a life long fisherman and very fussy re fishing edibility.
    stoked up fire made room in camp boxes by removing and disposing of alchoholic beverages, dog had great time chasing rabbits and growling at something near camp mate had a look and saw a fox! it took of and I seen it in the moonlight I though that's is a very fat fox hang on no its a wombat.
    Got up next morning, frost on inside of tent had a look at temp guage in ute -5 celcius, went deer hunting no luck, mate cant walk too far, seen dead wild horse whith all meat freshly chewed of its neck and jaw ,wild dogs had a good feed I would say, heard something take off in bush nearby.went back to camp got really big fire going , ate and made more room in camp boxes, dog chased rabbits and growled at fat fox.
    Conditions looking good for fishing eucenbene , lake should keep rising portal open and snow melt. Will try to go to trout festival in November which I have never attended might get lucky and win 4k like noel!
    Drove home next day and copped edge of long weekend traffic, got in trouble when I got home for not feeding dog enough, luckily I didn't get a deer,pretty easy to get into trouble.
    tight lines!

2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks for the report Blair. Cheers Pete

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, blair. Looks like it was still a good trip. Been a long time since my last Trout. Ckeers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.