1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

FISHING

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Going fishing. Leaving in ten minutes

kev209, Madfisher and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good luck, enjoy it.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  3. Dickson

Dickson Active Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Always nice for an invite;)

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Jeff. Did you get some decent rains last week or miss out?
    Did you know, my major philosophy about fishing is simple. It's to eliminate the need for luck. It's not a reliable element in my opinion. Better to work at it.
    VB, TBX people are always welcome here to go for a fish. No need for invites, just confirmations.
    But what a bummer of a day. The breeze got up, it was quite cool and fish were hard to find. Typically of course Tuross Lake always gives something to triers. And Bill's boat still had a slight leak, even after he replaced the two missing bolts through the transom plate.
    But we never had to bail any out. It's definitely the seals around the bungs as we could see a slight weeping while boat was on the trailer. I did as a TBX member suggested and showed him the two stainless 1/4" bolts I had put in my gear bag in case they were needed. He has a sense of humour of course.​
    Along with Bill was Ray, the newbie fisher I've taken out a couple of times. What a lovely guy he is. So perfectly mannered, never gets flustered even when not doing so well with his line. He's a pleasure to be with and it's hoped his fishing skills will rise closer to his hopes soon. He has greatly improved in his short time fishing. Bill returned three or four small flathead and brought one home which was around 45 I'd say. Poor Ray never got a fish. I battled all day for seven with none justifying keeping. A couple just made size but with a few feeds at home, they weren't needed.
    This time next week it's off to Canberra, after which I may not be able to go out for a while. I don't expect to be doing much for a while if this cardiac surgery is going to take up to six hours. That happens on the Monday after they lock me up in an intensive care unit. They have to stop all med's for a few days beforehand and this can only be done under intensive monitoring.
    Before that, I hope to get out once more; up the river and won't pump any worms. Plan to use only a light weight spin rig with surface poppers and a #5 weight fly rod to chase whiting without bait. Have tied a few variants on worm flies, but they all have red marabu feathers for the body. Nothing else is as soft and wavy in water. Will see how it goes. Don't have anyone here with a passion for fly fishing so hope to go alone. That's God (and my boss) being willing. The latter is the most difficult permission to obtain of course.
    We'd like to thank TBX members who have sent PMs about the upcoming hospitalisation and have of course replied to them personally.
    Noel
    Hoping to still be a member when it's all over. The risks are higher than we'd like.
    And he remembers Ned Kelly.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    kev209 likes this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    We are still at Lake Macquarie, Noel. I've got a couple more jobs to do around the house for my dear old Mum and then early next week I fly down to South Oz to have a look at a property in the Barossa Valley. I've been too busy to do much fishing.

As for the rain back home, by all reports we did get some, but not a hell of a lot.

Jeff

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    The hills around the Barossa are a far cry from the country I imagine near you at present.
    Pretty country. Have taken the vans through numerous times.
    Noel.
    They make some pretty good plonk there too.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    We have always liked the area Noel, nice people, fine food and as you say, some pretty good plonk.

The place I want to inspect is not far out of Nuriootpa, 5,000 square metre block with a renovated almost 100 year old house. Vineyards on either side, an hour out of Adelaide and only a couple of hours from some of the best fishing to be found in the country - all for under $400K.

imageYM3ZPYIS.jpg

Jeff

Dickson, kev209, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  8. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Best wishes on your upcoming op Noel.
    I will be thinking of you.
    Cheers Pete

9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thank you Pete. I value my friends on TBX
    Noel

kev209, diesel, Madfisher and 2 others like this.