1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Flicked my shoulder off but did I get Donuts?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by jedgpz, Mar 9, 2020.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey there,
    In an effort to get on the board for 2020 I joined some mates and headed to Bundalong on the Ovens river on Sunday arvo and today (Monday 9th).

As soon as I arrived the dirty water from up stream started to flow to where we were camping. My mates had already got on the board with a nice cod and a yella, and the water quality had been ok.

As lure fisherman water quality can influence the mood of fish greatly.

So after flicking surface lures, swimbaits, large hard bodies in the pursuit of catching my first cod for the year but with out even a hit I changed it up and down sized the lure size to see if I could break my Donut run with yellowbelly.

Lipless vibes and small hard bodies were going to do it for me.

Helco.jpg

This Green, gold and now sliver Halco with single lure hooks did the job.

One Murray Cod 62cm, hit the lure about 10 feet from the boat and scared the life out of me and went like a freight train.

Cod 1.jpg

Also picked up a nice very golden yella.

Yella.jpg

Well that is it for now, I can relax as I have finally caught a fish in 2020!

Cheers
    Jed

blair, ratherbefishin, kev209 and 4 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Well done Jed.

So, the singles on the Halco worked okay. I guess that answers the question about singles vs trebles.

Jeff

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    blair, ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.
  3. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Yes, the blokes that I were fishing with were like What do you think you are doing with those single hooks on there.... two fish later (and they were pinned really well and easy to release) I think I have them thinking Ha.

CHeers Jed

diesel, blair and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good start for 2020 Jedz.

kev209 and diesel like this.