1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fly advice

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by jedgpz, Dec 14, 2020.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    This part of the forum has not been used for 4 years so I may not get the answers ha

I have 3d printed a reel and Got a fly rod line etc now i need some flys.
    I will be chasing Trout in country Victoria and I have no Idea what I am doing

Any advice would be good.
    Cheers
    Jed

Madfisher and kev. like this.
  2. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    Forgot to include this pic
    THe reel I printed

Madfisher, kev. and Dickson like this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Mate I am no wand-waver but I have been told Nymph and dry/wet fly patters are best on Trout. Maybe have a look on some of the fly fishing forums online I am sure you will get more specific answers as my limited understanding is only heresay and I believe different times of the year means you use different patterns to raise the fish.

Hope this helps

kev. and Dickson like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    AS Anthony says Nymphs patterns about size 12 long shank in brown or green are a great fly. fish them up stream and let them come back with the current. You can also fish down and accross, the trout tend to hit it on the swing as it rises. Dries red tags in various sizes , and Royal Wuffs. Do not forget carp are a great target on fly, and are great to practice on, you will need much heavier tippett for them.
    How is the casting going, there are lots of you tube videos on casting. Simple casts like the bow and arrow and roll casts are easy to learn and great when u have trees behind u.

Any other questions fire away, lots of fly groups on facebook
    Cheers Pete

kev. and reelaxation like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Also Noel would be a great source of info on this area and fly fishing.
    Pete

kev. likes this.
  6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi Jed, I have this book that I bought many years ago along with a Fenwick rod and sage reel and line Etc.
    The only thing I learned after 3 or 4 sessions was how to whip crack and snap the line before I gave up on fly fishing. This book is full of illustrations on the topic's below.
    If you would like this book which is in better condition than it looks, I would like you to take it if you can make use of it, If you PM me with your address I will post it to you.
    Wally
    1AE26D8C-C141-481C-A751-CE9A22D0FDB6.jpeg

F0D83089-DCA1-4F49-9479-0DEB9A7D0445.jpeg

Madfisher and kev. like this.
  7. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Wow that is very generous of you.

kev. likes this.
  8. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey wally I dont think I can PM you can't find it, you may have it turned off?
    Cheers Jed

kev. likes this.