1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Good cod fishing/camping on the Murray

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rowwwy, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Rowwwy

Rowwwy New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Hi all!

Wanting to go up to the Murray river after work on Friday for the weekend.

Looking to soak some baits and flick some spinners and lures for some big green backs
    (hopefully lose my spinner virginity)

Looking for some advice on areas that I can camp at that fish well and also what rigs, lures and spinners have been working.

Thanks folks

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Welcome aboard Rowwwy, I can't help you out, but there are a few members that will be able to steer you in the right direction. I'm looking forward to reading a post on what you catch and some photos. Have a great weekend.

Master Baiter and creekboy like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Welcome to TBX, Rowwwy. Good luck with the OLD MURRAY RIVER. Cheers, creekboy.

Master Baiter and kev209 like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I haven't fished it recently but my limited experience fishing the Murray has been in the area north of Nathalia. My mates camp there and it is a good camping location. Positives...there doesn't seem to have been many, if any speedboats when I have been there. Negatives...you have to endure a hell of a lot of Silver Perch and Trout cod. Actually, cod captures when we have been there have been minimal so maybe it isn't the place for you. Sorry I can't help more.
    Cheers
    Jim

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    Master Baiter, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Welcome mate, not much help to you. But I hope you get on to a few, do u have a small boat/ canoe, makes it a lot easier to cover ewater.
    Cheers Pete

Master Baiter and kev209 like this.
  6. Rowwwy

Rowwwy New Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Hi fellas thanks for your replies and warm welcome.
    Pete Nah I don't have a boat or canoe unfortunately. Just land based for the minute.

Jim I will look into Nathalia thanks for the advice. Yet to see a trout cod but I don't think I want to target them. They are protected yeah?

I have been looking at ulupna island near strathmerton. I know it's good camping just not sure on the fishing. (Don't wanna travel hours for donuts) all part of the fun I guess!

Master Baiter, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Trout cod are protected as are the silvers. Reality is you can't avoid them when they are present. If you are not that familiar with Trout cod, make sure you know how to tell the difference from Murray cod.

Where abouts roughly are you travelling from? I am about an hour away from the river area at Nathalia so it is rather easy. Let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Jim

Master Baiter, Madfisher and kev209 like this.