1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Gulpless!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Bluefin, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Opened a packet of gulp nemesis yesterday which I bought 12 months ago. Still had liquid in the pack. Tails had stiffened up and were useless !!!!!!!! Lesson. Buy as you need them , Dont stock up!!!! Howard.

2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    ive had same problem mate, I think they are starting to makes plastics differentlty now.

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I gave up on using Gulp for that very reason, Howard, had to chuck too many packets away.

I'm mainly only using Squidgies and Charlie Brewer Sliders now.

Jeff

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  4. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Z man and Dragon Maggot for Me. Have a heap of small sliders, never use them.They still look good, But there , well I joined Bream Master in 2002, and bought them soon after !!!!!

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  5. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    muscadine was the go to .

Attached Files:

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    They work and I've also had success with watermelon and crawfish copper blue glitter - jacks like them. Haven't tried them in the fresh yet, but I reckon they will arouse some interest with yellas and reddies.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy and Bluefin like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Just been sitting back thinking about what I rate as my #1 go to soft plastic and the Squidgy Pro Fish 70mm Green Grunter gets the nod - a good all rounder for a lot of species in salt and fresh.

Jeff

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Would placing the plastics in a sealed container with the Gulp recharge juice make any difference?
    Cheers
    Team Plastic

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Yes it Does, But but why should I have to open the new packets, and spend another $17 and cary a seperate container JUST for Gulp ?? They should last in their UNOPENED packet !!

10. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Green is THE colour. Especially Motor oil in SP's, Thats what I have found over the past 20 years. Not always, But a greater percentage of the time !!

11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Once opened how long does the Berkley power bait nuggets last. I've got 4 jars that have been opened, 2 for over 12 months. I was told by BCF as long as the top is on they last for years.

diesel and creekboy like this.
  12. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    You are correct...they should last. But the reason I asked was for my own interest...I have used gulp at times and have some opened packets as well as some that are not opened. I find when opened, regardless of how well I store the packets (upright in a plastic container), they still manage to leak. If they store well in a container filled with juice, I will persevere with them. If not, I will use what I have got and not purchase anymore.
    Cheers
    Jim

13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Jim, I overcame that problem a while back by tipping the unused sp's in to an old jam jar containing the recharge juice and then just take out what I want and stick them in a ziplock bag when needed. It stops the leakage problem, but not the change in pliability of the plastic. Some just don't remain pliable and elastic for very long after the packet is opened and no amount of soaking in recharge will help.

Perhaps Blair is right - different plastics being used?

Jeff

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  14. Albatross1

Albatross1 Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I have been told that Gulp now comes in new packaging which has a double seal to prevent leaks. Time will tell how effective this is.
    Cheers, Chris

creekboy, Rod Bender, blair and 2 others like this.
  15. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Gulp is not made of plastic as we normally visualise it. I don't know what the composition is though. On a post last year??? I wrote that while Gulp class their stuff as biodegradable and fish can swallow them, and the material used IS biodegradable, the chemical part of the material is not. Steve Starling (a local here) and I have no great need to know him well, has numerous degrees in marine biology and the like. He knows his stuff. He wrote that the chemical content of SPs does more damage than the actual product. The material my dissolve but the chemical are still in the water. So much so that Squidgy were working on producing more degradable lures. You can now but some SPs that have a rating for the level of 'true' degradability. I have read that some waters overseas have solid lines of old SPs around the shores. We have never seen anything like that here, nor do we want to. I won't use Gulp because I have thrown too many away when they dried out, even in an unopened pack. perhaps the sun and/or temperature can cause it, though mine are never left in the sun.

Bluefin, Rod Bender, creekboy and 2 others like this.