1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Gulpless!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Bluefin, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Old post but someone I know did really well on these on yellas and redfin. No doubt it is because the color resembles a small redfin. I haven't seen the grunter in stores around here for a while.
    Howard, I have 3 or 4 packs of Gulp. I have used them a bit with success. Do you like the lures themselves? As in are the Gulp plastics worth going through the extra trouble of getting specific storage for them?

On saying that, I do like the idea of the sealed case to keep open packs of scented lures like my Strike Tiger plastics.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Should be paying more attention to his rod right now.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    creekboy, diesel and blair like this.
  2. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    We all go through stages with lures,A few years back my go to was the gulp Mullet in Pumpkin Seed. It caught a lot of fish. Then on to the Dragon Maggot , Zman grubs in Motoroil Etc. They all work well!!!!!! Howard.

creekboy, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    They appear to be scarce everywhere and the only place I can find them at the moment is Anglers Warehouse online. I've still got a few packets that I bought from BCF a couple of years ago and the good thing about Squidgys is they keep better than some of the others even after the packet has been opened.

Jeff

creekboy, Rod Bender and Bluefin like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have found the squidgies work well they catch fish and they last, haven't tried them on the jewies(if they are there) also some have the scent in the tube that comes whith them. I need to try them on jewies I have some white prawn ones.
    I have caught BROWN TROUT on them Diesel.

creekboy, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    That's interesting and good to hear/read.
    One of my mates old me I should have some and bought the larger white (75mm?), same in the darker brown and that one in smaller size, along with the more gingery colour. Apart from one flathead in Wallaga Lake near Bermagui on the bigger white one; they have to rate as my worst performing SPs. That immediately suggests that it's a 'me' factor. Do you use a different retrieve, different jig heads or anything?
    I am far and away a Squidgy user as they stay together after numerous fish hits, don't deteriorate with age and catch fish. I often use their scent stuff and believe some poor days have ben improved by it. Regardless, I strongly believe there is no substitute for good lure action and it's not the same action for every size, make or model.
    You might care to update me and teach me how to catch fish on maggots.
    Noel

creekboy, blair and diesel like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    70 mm Green Grunters have been spotted when I performed a pay day eve, unarmed recon of Trellys! Looks like they have just been stocked as well!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Grunter hunter!

7. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Noel, The Dragon Maggot has a seductive Very fine tail, It waves with very little effort,Looks like a worm. My go to retrieve up here is a slow lift and drop with a decent pause. Plus Sax Scent Crab. Howard. ( Motor oil colours. )

8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I commited to Gulp...and Green Grunters! I like the 10 cm jigging grubs!
    20200527_135124.jpg
    These I had previously. And they will all be going in the jar.
    20200527_140607.jpg
    I also have an open pack of these. Does anyone know if I can chuck them in the same jar as well?
    20200527_140646.jpg
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Team Diesel can expect an invoice for $8 to cover cost of grunters after planting the purchasing seed in my head!

blair, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Bender I still have nereis worms I bought 5 plus years ago and I can still get bream on them now .
    I think the 2 things that stuff them is light and heat ......

blair, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I know the light stuffs Gulp, not sure if heat buggers most of them. I've got a heap of both opened and unopened packets of various brands in a box in my shed where the temperature gets up close to 50 during summer and it has no effect on them from what I can see.

A while back I laid a few different brands of sp's on the chookhouse roof and left them there for a couple of months during the summer heat just to see how much they would deteriorate. Apart from the Gulp that dried out and shriveled up, all the rest were okay. I didn't test ZMan, not sure how they go with the heat.

Jeff

Tackleberry, blair and Old fisho like this.