1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Help wanted...to rid me of my nemesis!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    I have mentioned that one of my goals, to get a yella on a lure, has eluded me! I have fished channels where other anglers get yellas and all I manage is redfin or cod. How do I get out of this rut? I know what lures Dave uses, well some of them anyway. Happy to take suggestions from others. Not just lure choice either, but general advice as to where to find them...slow/fast water, rocky ground etc.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Wants to smash this 4 year old goal before the end of this year.

blair, diesel and creekboy like this.
  2. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Even I've caught a Yella on a lure (back in the day). Stumpjumper did the job.

blair, diesel, creekboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It seems CC is having an enjoyable shot at you. Thinks he has your measure in all fields now.

Master Baiter, blair, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Here are my tips for what they are worth,
    I have done well on the yellas with the following lures,
    Black Number 2 stumpjumpers with the red head (DC Red)
    Black and gold spinnerbaits with a copper willow blade
    Vibes both in silver and blue and dark colours. I have found slow retrieve works well with them
    Trellys has white and red curly tail Sps that they sell as redfin sps Shhhhhhhh dont tell any one but I have found that yellas love them too. 1/4 oz jig head is my preference with them I normally use TTs.
    Cheers
    Jed

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Lipless cranks in dark colours (black, dark red and purple) work for me and the non rattle type have produced more strikes than those with rattles. I've also had success with blades in dark colours.

If you haven't already got some, get a few jig spinners (beetle spins) to add a bit of flash to sp's.

Jeff

blair, Old fisho and Rod Bender like this.
  6. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    If you didn't work the days I have off we could put more effort into it:p, anyway, Bonnie Doon in 2 weeks, it'll be all go, it's up to you, cheers davo

7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I thought about Doon when it was first announced but decided against it. Have some debt to finish of (I owe some money to the 'Bank of Sister'). One more reasonable sized fishing purchase and then some home improvements.

Don't know if I have the motivation anyway for a large scale fishing trip. Was going to have a go this arvo but couldn't be bothered. Just gone 9 pm as I write this....sitting out at 'Spot H' with no line in. I call it 'not fishing'!:cool: None of them pesky fish to annoy me! I won't be working every weekend so we should get out after your Doon trip. Besides, there is more water here!:cool: Thanks for the replies also.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Will become Dangerous Dave's nemesis one day!:eek:

8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have found yellas hard to catch on lures as well, got a huge one to the bank on a 2.5" rebel crawdad last year, orange underneath light green sides medium brown top nice slow retrieve I think a 2" crawdad would work well.got one on a hot pink attack lure about 2" spun down the side of a weed bed once and lots of follows lost hookups and nibbles on the trebles of Jensen insect spinners gold blade probably red and black body.

diesel, Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Have only ever caught three. They were from Googong dam near Canberra and were taken while using an electric motor, trolling home made Colorado spoons with a small prawn on the hook. Had never seen that done before, nor have I seen it since. The biggest weighed close to five pounds and was the worst fish I'd ever tried to eat.
    Another day I found a patch of them chewing up bait fish near the shore at Googong. Several followed lures but none took a bite at them.
    Noel
    Remained unimpressed with natives for years.

10. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    Blender, if you want to catch Yellowbelly, you have to invest in high-priced, high-quality lures. Forget about Ondexes and Stumpjumpers - they definitely do not work. I would suggest the Creatura range from Woolley Lures. They are reasonably priced at $60 a pop, and if you buy enough of them - say 5, you are bound to catch a Yellowbelly sooner or later.

So get on the phone and call Woolley today on 0435 869 297! Mention 'Cornacarpio' for a 10% surcharge!

CC
    Watching Blender achieve financial ruin before he achieves any of his fishing goals!

73178723_542195566546129_5921229080350425088_n.jpg

cretura.jpg

60339693_842917516041329_6228735879611940864_n.jpg

blair, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    At 20 cm's they may be a tad big for yellas! Would be one hell of an ambitious ambigua that would hit it!:cool:

I have some Ondex lures. A company obtained the rights to the name and produced them. I got some online. The quality, whilst not bad, didn't seem to be as good as the originals. I used them about 5 years ago with no luck at a time when nothing was working. I will have to try them again. Also, I prefer flatfish lures to stumpies, I do have and like retro stuff!:)

Last but not least, I went into the local tackle store this morning. 30% off some good lures resulted in me coming out a bit less financial! And I have another Doof Doc lure on its way!
    Cheers
    Team Blunder
    Much better than Choc Chips!

diesel and Madfisher like this.
  12. CornaCarpio

Jan 9, 2018
    I keep on forgetting that all the stuff I used as a kid is now 'retro'.

CC
    Getting old

diesel likes this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The yellas I mentioned nibbling the trebles and a lot of follows and I got one on hot pink attack lure (is first one I ever caught) were in googong, I couldn't believe the amount of slime? that came off it into the bucket I put it in, ate it that night was quite good to eat was about a kilo maybe they bigger ones aren't as good to eat.

Madfisher and Rod Bender like this.
  14. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Noel those ones harrassing bait fish will readily take a dark woolly buggar, or zonker, caught hundreds on fly in windermere over the years,
    tight lines Pete

Old fisho likes this.