1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

I HATE DONUTS!!

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    To me a donut is an insult. There are several factors there. The main reason is that I see a donut as the result of me not working hard enough, or perhaps not 'seriously' fishing. There's no other reason to go fishing than to catch fish.
    Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day on the water. We started about 0830 and returned about 1630. For some unknown reason we went across the entrance to a narrow channel close against the bank. I have always liked the area but had rarely caught fish there. Early, we only got a couple of throwbacks. The water was fairly good with perhaps a metre visibility. I suggested we go about a kilometre up toward the broadwater where we got one keeper and a small one. As the tide continued to run out, the dirty river water took over and visibility dropped noticeably. It was time to move back downstream and I went across to the channel fished earlier
    We released a couple of small flatties and had begun changing plastics. I picked up one at just under 50 which was welcome and my mate got one slightly less. Dark colours became the order of the day. Lighter colours were harder to see. Observation as Pete said in his post is essential. Flocks of cormorants, seagulls, terns and pelicans were seen rounding up bait fish. There'd be more than hundred birds. I have the impression they drive the school into the shallows, then it's everyone in for a feed. On went smaller plastics and we moved into shallower water. The
    60mm Squidgy fish, with a two gram jig head in the black/gold colour is often a good fish taker, I suggest because of its bait fish size.​

I soon had a nice one swimming around the boat to be netted. The game had changed at least a bit and a few smaller ones went back.
    A little later after a period of nothing, I collected another almost 50 on the same plastic. It spat out some small fish as it neared the boat, proving at least in part my thoughts.
    Ray asked why I decided to go to certain places and fairly quickly get a fish or two. I could only say 'I have no idea' and that is was likely just a guess. He said 'I don't believe that. You've done it before and three more times today, and going to places you rarely fish'. There's more to it than guessing and something I don't understand.
    Nor do I unless it's a need to just keep trying.
    It was a most pleasant day and more like it are hopefully ahead. We've caught more often enough but after weeks of fires and floods, being able to get out there and catch a fish or three was terrific. Hopefully will attach a couple of pics, being screen shots from some bits of video. It's hard to get the exact frame but have got fairly close. They're not as good as a good camera image. Screenshot (35).png
    You can see how shallow the water was.
    Screenshot (46).png One about 50 in the net.
    20160203_sized.jpg
    Just over 70. A good fish in anyone's book.
    Our next concern might be limitations on going outdoors due to the current pestilence issue.
    Time will doubtless tell.
    Noel
    A now happier fisho.

kev209, diesel, Master Baiter and 4 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, all. My surgery is booked in for 30/3/20. I hope it does not get cancelled due to this bloody virus. Approx 6 weeks recovery needed, then maybe we can get the holiday to Lakes Entrance we have had planed for the last 2 years. Cheers, Lyall.

3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hope all goes well for your opp Lyall and your holiday.

kev209, creekboy, diesel and 3 others like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Pics look good noel as does the water I like a little bit of murk in the water that top pic looks like good water colour I am sure I catch more fish when I like the water colour/clarity.

kev209, diesel and Master Baiter like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    hi Blair
    The colour in the water is the sandy bottom only half a metre down.

kev209, creekboy and blair like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Best wishes from here too Lyall
    N & J

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  7. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Hope all goes well Lyal, best wished from Sal and I.
    Pete

kev209, creekboy, blair and 1 other person like this.
  8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I second that, and good luck lyall .

kev209, creekboy and blair like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can relate to your hatred of donuts, but cop this for a sh!t of a day.

I left home this morning hellbent on going head to head with some quality yellas on the Barcoo, stuff the flies says me. Almost 4 hours and 400kms later I arrived in beautiful downtown Isisford to find that the river is still running a banker with nothing less than 50 metres of mud between me and the fishable water channel - not happy.

What now says I?

A quick pic of the 'Big Yellowbelly' to prove to the bride that I just didn't spend the day in the pub and then chuck a 180 and head back towards the coast.

At the moment I'm camped in a little 'hicksburg' named Jericho where the most exciting event on the annual calender is the day that the Brisbane to Darwin positie bike race comes through town, but $5 gets me a shower and a campsite for the night.

So far today I have clocked up near on 600kms and burnt a lot of fuel without even dropping a line in the water - not happy, a waste of a good fishing day.

20200319_132048.jpg
    The Big Yellowbelly constructed from old corrugated iron and Southern Cross windmill blades - a work of art.

Jeff

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    My heart bleeds Jeff. What a horror day. Makes ours a real pearler in comparison.
    We've seen lots of 'big' things but knew naught of the yellow belly. The only monument to them we saw was in Charleville. It wasn't a pretty sight and didn't take long to realise it was upside down. DSCF0418.JPG
    DSCF0418a.JPG
    And this from someone who's only ever seen about three.
    Noel
    And it's good to be able to use pics without the fiddling we've had to do for a long time. A big improvement.

kev209, diesel, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  11. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks to all my surgery well wishers, bur surgery was cancelled by the Austin on Monday with no revised date at this time. Lyall.

kev209, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Hang in there mate. It'll happen as soon as this mess is sorted a bit
    Meantime, we all hope you're not having too much trouble with it.
    You've had a rough couple of years.
    N & J

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    kev209, diesel, blair and 2 others like this.
  13. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks, Noel. That's putting it mildly, but it does soften the blow a bit.

kev209, Old fisho, diesel and 2 others like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    With five procedures inside my heart in fifteen months, I certainly appreciated the moral support from the guys on here. It's not something you can put a price on.
    We do wish you well and hope you'll be back to TBX fit and well soon.
    It's a strain for Elaine too and she's had her share as well.
    Noel

kev209, blair, creekboy and 1 other person like this.
  15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Might save you from a scungy Virus as well Lyall , just what a person needs after an op so hang in there mate.
    Never know you may suddenly get well and not need op!

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Considering that hospitals are a close second to cruise ships when it comes to people contracting infectious diseases Lyall, maybe the cancellation is a positive outcome at this stage. Hang in there old mate.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy, blair and 1 other person like this.
  17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Whith risk of staf infections etc in hospitals I think I would rather go to a vet for an op, I would have to pay for it though!

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  18. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I recently asked one of my medicos why they never seemed to get sick, though they spent everyday amongst it in all forms.
    He said he does not have an answer to that question other than perhaps, being amongst it, a body develops an immunity.
    Noel

kev209, blair, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.