1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

I NEVER NEEDED HELP LIKE NOW!!

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    You dodged a bullet there Noel, and a serious cat scratching! very wise keeping quiet about loss of file. reminds me I am going to get a really big memory stick and back up everything. Bloody computers.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I have two internal hard drives and normally back up to one of them. The photo file is now simply too big so we have split some off to an external hard drive.

4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    to be safe I would disconnect the external hard drive while not using just plug in for backups only. my best computer is not connected to internet is fast and reliable and no internet creeps can interfere whith it.

5. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Apologies for the slow response; as someone who works with computers, my time online tends to be intermittent (think of the old mechanic and their car analogy).

Thanks for your welcome folks, I really appreciate it. :) I only learned of this forum through a youtube video oddly enough and decided to check it out. Looks like a good community.

Noel, I'm not sure who you've been chatting to, but I suspect they've mistaken me for someone else who is using the same username elsewhere. I've been a member of a bunch of forums on various subjects, but this is the first pure fishing forum I've signed up to.
    In terms of abuse, rudeness and criticism, I'm not sure if you're suggesting the person you're associating with my username was guilty of that or not, but if it is, you have nothing to worry about. I grew up in the age of courtesy and respect and I ran a forum myself for five or six years and am quite familiar with the overhead it causes those running a site. In fact, it was a contributing factor to my walking away.
    I'm certainly pleased this site has survived; forums are certainly struggling in the age of social media (another boating forum I'm on has faced similar issues). I'm not much of a social media user, so it's nice to have someone to come to listen and learn off other folk.

In terms of fishing, I live in the ACT but spend my fishing time down your way. We're fortunate enough to have a friend who's got a house at Tuross Heads and we also don't mind a camp down at Narooma, generally hitting the Inlet when we take that option. In terms of the type of fishing, apart from my love of a beach fish, we've mainly been in hire boats having a crack at flatties and anything else that will jump on a hook, but we got a little 4.8m cabin boat at the start of the year with the intention of heading offshore to have a crack at Kingies and snapper as well. However, before we head out past the bar, I need to get my SROCP sorted so I can legally use my VHF.
    I guess I should point out that I'm not schizophrenic; fishing is very much a family thing. My lad got us into it when he was very young and we've been at it ever since. We're very much hacks (so in a similar vein to the title of this thread, I'm after as much help/learning as I can get :)) and I've only started to invest effort in learning what I'm doing since the start of the year (figured if we were buying a boat, I should probably take fishing a bit more seriously). Style wise, my wife's big on baits, my lad will have a crack at anything (bait, soft plastics, hard plastics, whatever) and my preference is definitely lures.

I'll try and help with what I can Diesel, but I'm one of those mile wide inch deep kind of people unfortunately. I'm certainly no forensics expert and I'm also not much of a web developer. But I'll certainly give anything a crack. ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    That is without question the best response from a newbie as I call them, since I've been in this site and that started a few years ago. I am often guilty of talking nonsense but I don't accept abuse from anyone, nor have I ever seen it posted from the guys here. They speak (write) like gentlemen, are more than happy to pass on what they know if asked and most importantly, they do it willingly. A few of us are age-wise, a bit over the hill (we choose to call it 'having acquired experience) and some still get out for a fish in spite of medical issues. I'm perhaps among the most regular at being able to get out for a fish in spite of a couple of issues. Put simply, we'd all qualify for your forum name; 'ratherbefishing' and we welcome you to our group.
    What the guys here have is a genuine interest in being out there, regardless of their difficulties and all other issues.
    Having been in a couple of other forums and left for reasons you state; it's been a pleasure to get to know the guys on here. We lived in Queanbeyan for around thirty years, have a base at Eucumbene that's mostly used by our young bloke (mid 50s) and have fly fished there for years. After seven years without a winter while we wandered Australia, we mover here to avoid your cold winters. Love this little place.
    PS: and its fishing.
    Repeating; welcome to TBX as we call it and I know I speak for all.
    Noel.
    Jeff is away fishing and off the air for a while. He will respond in due course and is a valued contributor.

creekboy, ratherbefishin and kev209 like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Welcome ratherbefishin, I grew up in Canberra now live on central coast nsw, into most types of fishing.
    cheers

8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi RBF, welcome to TBX.

9. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Thanks Noel, but I've just seen a mis-used word in my response (despite several edits)......still room for improvement. ;)
    I've not really had the chance to properly have a look around yet, but your descriptions of the community sound fantastic; gentlemen who willing share knowledge is most certainly my kind of place. And age-wise folk bring earned knowledge and a dignity that is, in my opinion, less prevalent than maybe it once was.
    Regarding my username, it was a spur of the moment choice (I tend not to re-use handles across sites) and I sort of regretted soon after, as it is stating the obvious on a site like this and seems kinda cheesy. But I'm stuck with it, so ce la vie.
    I'm most envious of your having a place at Eucumbene. It's been an age since I've been up there but it is very picturesque up that way. I did ponder a camping trip last year to have a go at trout fishing using a spinning rig, but I didn't end up getting there as the fella I was going with had dated knoweldge and we couldn't camp as we'd wanted to (ended up at Tangangara instead). Come to think of it, what glorious venues you have for fishing; Tuross and Eucumbene...very nice indeed.

Sounds like you made a good move Blair; warmer weather and way more fishing opportunities. :) I've been here most of my life and would love to move; but need to wait for my lad to finish school and establish himself first.

Thanks Kev. :)

Thanks again all, very much appreciate the warm welcome.

Madfisher, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yes it is good place to live especially in the suburb I now live in. Canberra is a great place to grow up it has a lot going for it I enjoyed the bush, trout fishing hunting and motorbike riding fresh air, 1.5 hours from batemans bay for the coast life.there are some very knowlegable fishos on this forum that's what attracted me here to start whith.
    cheers

kev209 likes this.