1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Investing in.....

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ...fishing reels and other fishy stuff!
    Hi minions, with all this investment talk, it got me thinking about something I have considered doing before. I regret not keeping a lot of my old fishing gear. I have thought at times of purchasing new quality gear and putting it away, still new in the box. Shimano Stradic FK's are on clearance now at Anaconda for $200. Not sure if they are that iconic, but perhaps 20 years down the track they may be worth something more than $200! Or of course they may be worth nothing!

I have thought about purchasing a 'set' of lures (or 2...or 3!) as well and stashing them. Although it is difficult to think what lures to get as most these days are plastic. I have 5 Doof Doc lures which I could get a good price on ebay, however, I will not sell these.

A local tackle store had a customer who purchased one or two of the expensive Megabass lures...he would have got another couple except the cases they are in had fingerprint marks on it!

Anyway, what are people's views? Better off investing money elsewhere or could it be worthwhile 'collecting' some new items and 'sitting' on them?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Trying to justify tackle purchases!

kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Ultimately Rod Bender you have to do something you are comfortable with - whether that be shares, fishing tackle, gold, property, renewable energy, increasing super, etc - or nothing at all!

CC
    Sitting on the fence!

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Collectables are only going to be worth more than current price if they are something exceptional and I don't think the Stradic FK falls into that category Jim. They have a known inherent problem with the line roller bearing seizing, a problem that has been supposedly rectified in the FL.

I think lures are a better proposition especially those made by individual lure makers and preferably made from timber. Kept in original packaging and pristine condition, they will appreciate in value over the years and become sought after by collectors. Have a look at the Lure Lovers website for what is collectable.

Jeff

kev209, Madfisher and Rod Bender like this.
  4. Decka

Decka New Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Yes definitely the hand made lures are the go, plus there heaps easier to store and take up a lot less space. Something you can store in a shoe box and hide from the misses.

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome to the forum Decka.

From what I've heard, Bender has a secret warehouse in the Shepparton region where he has been stashing gear for the past 100 years, no missus to tell him what he can and can't do (lucky bugger) and I'm starting to believe that he may be one of those doomsday preppers, but instead of guns and other weapons, he stashes away fishing gear.

Just a theory....I could be wrong.

kev209, Rod Bender and CornaCarpio like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    What diesel said!:cool:

Sounds like lures are the way to go. They will also make a great display as well.

Also; welcome aboard Decka. I hope you can see past the flaw in loading pics and stick around.
    Cheer
    Jim

kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Diversification is the key.

I think you should invest in Blair's $200 3/4 inch red and white floats while they're still relatively affordable. You could buy these things for less than a dollar a few months ago, now they command several hundred dollars each due to an Australia-wide shortage. Analysts tip they will reach 4 figures by the end of the year. A 'bubble' if there was one, so to speak.

CC
    Might try and find another 'float'

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.