1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Is Mansfield Vic better than any where else?

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    NO and I am I am shocked on a local forum how a lot of people are saying everyone should help each other in time of need and what do to help others. That should be always anyway.
    But showing their true colours in Town to day in the hardware store and around the Town people I know have a real hate for Tourists and visitors . Most of the ones doing the hate are newbies themselves. A resident that came back from O/S had a visit from the police someone rang them and said he was out in the Town. They want the caravan parks shutdown camping grounds closed off because they wont do the right thing ETC.
    But no one is thinking of the money they have brought in and when all is well.
    Mansfield is not how I knew it 50 years ago when Jack Lovick a true Mountain Cattleman would run his cattle through the Town to the sale yards on the other side. Every thing could be fixed with a slab of Vic. Everyone new everyone no one was left out everything was exchanged by anyone to everyone. Not anymore.
    Wally

Old fisho, kev209, Rod Bender and 3 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    NO. Cheers, creekboy.

Old fisho, kev209 and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I cannot comment on Mansfield as I have never been there, but what you are witnessing Wally is happening in a lot of different places around the country - locals turning against outsiders. They do so at their own peril if they want the tourist dollars to flow again once this crisis is over. There are some powerful voices amongst the various groups and associations in domestic tourism, especially the CMCA (Campervan & Motorhome Club of Australia) and they will very quickly impose a boycott on towns and regions that turn against them.

I can understand the concern of people living in small communities when it comes to their own health, welfare and possibly survival - I live in a small community myself, but I also understand that there are a large number of people out there who have chosen to live a life 'on the road' with no fixed address and a lot these people would be totally bewildered with the way things have eventuated. I believe that most of these people are downright good hearted folk who would not do wrong by anybody and all they need is a place to settle until the crisis is over and provided they practice good hygiene and social distancing, they should not be turned away.

Jeff

kev209, creekboy and blair like this.
  4. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    It might be just be a small town thing? My Dad knows someone (originally from Melbourne) that purchased a property around Mansfield (Boorolite) in the 1970s and locals still begrudgingly refer to them as "almost local" despite despite living/farming in the area for 60 years!

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You're right there CC, it does seem to be more of a small town thing and it seems to be uniquely Australian. I have been asked many times by visitors to my little community how long I have lived here, usually my stock answer is "why do you ask" and they generally reply saying something like "no particular reason, just curious". Why a complete stranger would be curious about how long I have lived somewhere beats me. I could give them any answer and it means bugger all.

I know of many places around Oz where residents are not counted as locals unless they were born there.

Jeff

blair, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    While 'on the road', we stayed in many small towns, (preferring to use small towns more than anything else) and can only say we were welcomed on sight and if at the local for a drink or dinner at night, it was common to have locals walk over ask how long will you be in town? They knew everyone else of course.
    One could write a book on our good experience as travellers in small towns and half a page on bad ones. In fact, only one town and that was certainly the people, not the place. Interestingly, the people concerned were also visitors like ourselves. They believed they owned the town.
    Noel.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    blair, kev209, creekboy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    CC your Dad’s friend is probably more of a local than most. The people who say your not locals yet are the people who moved up in the nineties and later. They are the ones who have started morning Coffee groups up around their areas and group walks and introduce themselves to anyone to be known and get on the local radio where they can’t pronounce local names correctly Etc. Which is fine but they are no different to anyone else.
    They opened the Mansfield market last Thursday and a lot of people complained about it being open. The people that run it are a group that have only been in the District less than ten years and really went off as they are only farmers making a living. No concerns for the Farmers with Stock. My neighbour has had to get rid off several hundred cattle and Sheep due to the drought we are still in.
    Wallyl

blair, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  8. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Hi Wally,

I've just got off the phone to my Dad, he says he knows Jim Lovick! Says he lives/lived in Merrijg, does that sound right?

Small world!

Will send you a PM.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020 at 10:02 PM
    blair, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    OK, so TBX started life as a fishing related site.
    Regardless, I think this sort of thing and a lot of the banter that goes on are (almost) as important as fishing.
    As I see it TBX has improved beyond imagination over the past year or so because of it.
    Noel
    Can always find two bob's worth to say

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  10. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    TBX should be regarded as an essential service. OMO

blair, diesel and Old fisho like this.