1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Isn't any one fishing any more.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    lake bare not even a Pelican about. is anyone fishing? If I have to be isolated their will be no problems going to the Lake for a couple of hours. Even the Nursery cafe closed so no Black Forest Gateau. .. Jim will have to eat his bait.
    Wally

kev209, blair, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I ducked out for a few hours, got a 5lb carp in the first 10 minutes then walked another 4 ks for zilch. Stream was in bad shape as the dam above it is shut off.
    Pete

3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    This was on Saturday Wally?

Where is the Nursery Cafe...Mansfield?

If I get out fishing in the next couple weeks, it is going to be chasing carp and with more emphasis on getting some yabbies for bait? Then come April, hopefully head towards your spot! Currently, I need to do as much work as I can....and I should be doing it now rather than internet surfing!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Needs to get priorities right!

kev209, blair and creekboy like this.
  4. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Where is the Nursery Cafe...Mansfield?

No opposite the Boat Ramp exit, up the track opposite their is an old Truck with Cafe Nursery on it.
    It is only open Fridays Sat and Sunday. it has only been going for a few months very popular.
    This was on Saturday Wally

If I get out fishing in the next couple weeks, it is going to be chasing carp and with more emphasis on getting some yabbies for bait? Then come April, hopefully head towards your spot! Currently, I need to do as much work as I can....and I should be doing it now rather than internet surfing!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Needs to get priorities right![/QUOTE]

kev209, blair, creekboy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    I went for a Fish today for a few hours had three bites for one hook up and lost it a very small one at that and not another soul around it is so strange.
    Wally

6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I need to find out why my boss said it was not permissible to take the 'Sandfly' boat on the lake.
    Seems you guys have no trouble getting out.
    Noel
    Bleedn' petticoat gov't perhaps.

kev209, blair, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    We may be doing the 'wrong' thing Noel! This message from VRFISH suggests that we should not go!
    https://www.vrfish.com.au/2020/03/2...dlNjmZnLJ_n_vzYHY3O8n_3vpC8Wzy8_-cMxTKztzkt5s
    Vic fisheries posted some guidance last Monday but this is now out of date. Their advice was not to congregate in groups. Unless things change, I am going to try and get out on the weekend.

It is rather easy for me, I can drive about 20 minutes and then fish a creek where I know there will be nobody else. Wally is in the same position, he has maybe a ten minute drive and as he has said, there is nobody around.

Whilst technically we may be doing the wrong thing, it is safe. I will be working alone in the same general area next week so there isn't much difference except of course fishing is not essential.

The main reason I want to go...stress relief for a short period to get over the strain of the last week...turmoil at my main job which now looks like it is on hold until June.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Needs a break!

kev209, blair, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  8. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Carp culling is essential Jim...

kev209, blair, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes Jim, I believe you are not doing the right thing; that's tantamount to and also means you are doing the wrong thing. I have perhaps 1.5km to the boat ramp but my enquiries inform me that fishing, being not essential (it is to most of us outside the virus issue) it is no longer legal to practice same.
    Yes, I understand about being almost the only person on a creek or river with no likelihood of collecting or transmitting. I had the same opinion/attitude about being on the lake but there's no longer any doubt that we must accept the moral responsibility of doing what the new laws say we must.
    It's an extremely serious issue now and worse appears to be ahead.
    When the chips are down it's up to us to make our own decisions, keeping in mind the welfare of all.
    Noel
    It wasn't petticoat government after all.

10. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    QUOTE from the Prime ministers speech on Easter what to do in your own States.
    Quote - Daily road trips to and through local national parks with a picnic at your destination, if it is remote and clear of other humans trying to get in on the action. An alternative option is to enjoy your packed lunch inside the car before you keep on moving. unquote.
    Vic police kicked out all the Campers and Caravans in two of the most popular spots in the Mansfield District, after the Laws came into effect last night at midnight. They could go else where as long as they Isolated them selves from other campers.
    Confusing yes Stage three in Victoria could come in tonight what ever they may be. Each State has it's own methods of control. What we can do today may be totally different tomorrow.
    Wally

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    We understood from this morning and is subject to confirmation. All Nat Parks are now closed here.

kev209, blair and creekboy like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The way I see it, the definition of what is essential or non essential depends entirely on the circumstances of the individual.

A person who goes fishing on a regular basis could very well argue successfully that it is done to put food on the table and with a better than even chance of success compared to visiting the local supermarket where there is an extreme shortage of available items. It could be argued that you are less likely to come into contact with others on a fishing trip than you are when visiting a shopping centre. It could also be argued that by going fishing and providing for yourself, you are not denying those who can't or don't fish the chance of purchasing items at a supermarket.

A person who goes fishing just to relieve the boredom of staying at home could not really claim that the fishing trip is essential.

Jeff

kev209, blair, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  13. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    I like your logic good post Jeff.

14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I like " carp culling is essential" reason to be outdoors. In NSW it is allowable at present to be outdoors exercising as long as you keep social distance, I presume fishing would be same and you could get away whith it, It may be possible to somehow pick up or spread the virus though so probably shouldn't be fishing, not very likely to be a problem. What a nutter of a year it has been what next aliens?i just seen the stats in Italy the mortality rate is about 10% that's serious. maybe we can get this virus to attack carp!

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I have seen Vic sites that say fishing is not essential and therefore we should not go and I have seen and heard that one should get out and exercise. Reasons for not fishing include unnecessary contact when purchasing bait or fuel and contact with people at boat ramps etc.

On the flip side, I would never suggest what CC does is wrong...ride a bike along a track and then go fishing alone. I would think there would be other people exercising in some form along the track and keeping a safe distance.

Anyway, I have come to a decision regarding what I am going to do. The 'last hurrah' shall happen tomorrow, Saturday. After that, no more fishing for me until the all clear is given or things at least ease off a bit. If the 'exercise clause' is still around in 3 or 4 weeks, then I may go again.

I also am doing it to save a bit of money! And I have sh!tloads of fishing related stuff to do at home.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Fish are breathing a sigh of relief!

16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Is this officially coming from the Vic government Jim, or are they just opinions being voiced by others based on their own beliefs?

Apart from the message to 'stay home' and to practice social distancing when out and about, I cannot find any reference to a government directive that people should not go fishing or partake in any activity that do not involve contact with others.

There are far too many contradictions at the moment that don't make sense at all. All states in the country have given an exemption to FIFO workers to self isolate and to me that becomes a bigger threat in spreading the virus than the bloke who goes fishing.

Today, here in Qld, the local government elections are being conducted and those voters who haven't already voted by way of pre polling or postal must cast their vote at a polling booth and this is estimated to be approximately 2 million voters. WTF??

Jeff

17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    For my bit, neither have I seen any directive Jeff that says I can't go fishing. What I do accept is that I have to drive to the boat ramp. Not at the moment but for many it would mean a trip to the servo for vehicle or boat fuel and to my simple mind I cannot classify my desire to drive and fish as an essential activity. Having no idea of its truth, I have read that the virus can be spread by handling a pump while fuelling. However, my simple mind again, thinks few bugs would survive in traces of petrol or diesel on a pump. Not being in a position of knowledge to justify my personal opinions and not being a dedicated breaker of laws and rules; I'll go with the belief that contact with others and where others have been is a most likely way to spread bugs. That means I stay home and obey the rules.
    Noel
    And I really want to fish now, the prime part of our year here.

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I understand what you are saying Noel and your logic behind it, but the threat of spreading the virus by handling a pump can be totally nullified by wearing disposable gloves whilst fuelling or if gloves are not available, carry a packet of freezer bags in your vehicle and use a couple of those as gloves. There are ways and means of minimizing risk that allow people to perform activities that are being classified as non essential.

As for bugs not surviving in traces of petrol or diesel, petrol maybe if there was a leaking pump handpiece, but highly unlikely with diesel due to the low quantity of bug destroying properties of the fuel. Bacteria forming in diesel fuel held in storage has long been a problem and it certainly contributed dollars into my bank account when I still worked the spanners.

Jeff

19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Jeff. Of course I have no experience in that world as I indicated.
    Noel

20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and admit it.
    However I have some difficulty with the ambiguity of your post, though I believe I get the drift.
    The school teacher (former) boss here tells me it's a use of double negatives or some such thing and one sort of cancels out another.
    However, I do believe I understand what you are saying.
    Perhaps the word 'not' should not be following the first three words.
    Thanks again
    Noel
    Failed English at school

kev209, diesel, blair and 1 other person like this.