1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

IT REALLY HAPPENED

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Unsure where the so-called courage came from but told!!! Boss Bill was taking me fishing Friday in my boat. I lived.
    Expecting a rather warm day which never happened-it remained cool, we opted to leave early; 6.30am and return after lunch, depending on how I was travelling. Bill is a kind and considerate mate. He would pack up after ten minutes if he thought I had a problem.
    The day finished, well, not too bad but a bit like Kev's signature, the fishing was good but the catching was hard.
    First couple of hours saw 'not much'. I had a throw back flattie and a flounder similar. Bill had nothing. We moved again, this time to one of my old 'go to' places called Cooper's Bay, even though it hadn't performed for a couple of years. Switched the electric off to simply drift across the almost kilometre wide bay. This is where our Tuross River first meets the lake system. We drifted across the main tide channel; a good place for a flathead pretty often for zero. It was tough going. The entrance is silted up and tide movement this far up was negligible; perhaps only about 30cm at present. It's normally up to 75cm.
    Anyway, nothing from the channel and we were 50-70 metres past in about 1.5m. The breeze was good, just moving us along slowly.
    Bill said "I'll give this a go". It was a large white plastic thing that would frighten many fish. I said "if you catch a fish on that I'll just about give up". First cast he says, "Got one and it's a good fish". It didn't do much and was soon by the boat and I told him to lead it toward me who had the net. It was a heavily patterned fish, quite pretty if you can picture a fish with only shades of brown on it being pretty. I suggested it could well break the 70cm barrier. In the boat it clocked in at 73 and was Bill's first ever above 70. He was stoked. We tried to get a couple of phone pics but in the light we had it was impossible to see the screen.
    I had my video glasses around my neck and had forgotten them, so quickly switched them on and got the last visions of her on video. Screenshot (17).png
    The attached shows Bill giving her a swim before the release; it's a screen shot from the video. Screenshot (19).png Didn't know if I could do that and it certainly opens a new window into adding photos.
    'There she goes'. Our last look as she went down.
    You wouldn't believe it but a few minutes later, still using this horrible looking thing, he hooked another. It was about 50-55 and simply swam away as it got near the boat. I thought most likely one of those fish that are not hooked, simply hanging onto the plastic; most likely aided by the front teeth being caught in the lure body.
    He fished it for quite a while and never had another touch for the day. He was happy. We pulled the pin around 2.30 by which time I had half a dozen flatties but all were 35-37 and none were kept. A really nice flounder I did keep gave Boss a pleasurable dinner that night. Though quite weary after, I proved I can at least endure a day on the water again but still not confident enough to go out alone yet. Give it time.
    Noel
    Been fishing, happy as a pig in...….

2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Good to see Noel, your mate sounds like my son Michael, ties the most out landish lure on, and after being told it will not work proceeds to get a fish.
    tight lines Pete

3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Pics are nice and clear, sounds like my boss I suggest not to use something like massive sinker but still uses it while bream fishing and she catches the best bream for the day, good to see Bill get a PB flattie, the flatties love white sp,s here.
    cheers

ratherbefishin, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    fantastic news Noel

5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Watch out Flatties He's back

ratherbefishin, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    ratherbefishin, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Will have a look Jeff
    Noel

kev209 and diesel like this.
  8. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I'm obviously late to the party, but that's a great report and excellent news that you got out again. :)
    Definitely looking forward to living vicariously through your reports as they come.

kev209, Old fisho and Madfisher like this.