1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Kumho tyres.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Rod Bender, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi peeples
    I need new tyres on my Ford rather soon...wondering if anyone has used Kumho tyres and have been happy with them? A mechanic suggested them to me a while ago. Not sure but they may not be cheap tyres but you get what you pay for and if this is the case, then I am happy to get them!
    cheers
    Team Ford
    Burns rubber!

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Bender 3 years ago I put a set of toyo tyres and they still have a year left in them this is on my Fairmont.
    Now I'm not a slow driver especially on winding roads , a set of boots is usaly only good on my car for 2 years at best and the thing I like the best about them is they still have wet grip just about every tyre I have had drops of in wet grip as the rubber hardens up about 12 to 14 months regardless of tread depth ......
    They are a high silica compound .

creekboy, Old fisho, blair and 2 others like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Jim, I've had Kumho tyres on a couple of different 4wd's and couldn't fault them. They are not cheap tyres, but neither are they expensive. Treat them right, ie correct pressures, periodic rotation, balance and wheel alignment and they will serve you well.

A lot of vehicle owners elect to go with cheapies and they don't last as long as better quality tyres and in my opinion, it is a false economy to buy something cheap that will need replacing long before the higher priced better quality gear - a bit like fishing gear when you think about it.

Jeff

creekboy, Old fisho, blair and 4 others like this.
  4. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Try these....
    78dg0wXtUPm9MTnNAdsQfVOjbhLFH7y1cnWNpAj75JY.jpg

5. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Won't fit mate, he has a sedan,;), cheers davo

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    should grip well, might need to flare the guards or he will get a defect! no one will pass him either.

7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have heard they are good will probably put some on my 4wd soon. The best tyres I ever had on 4wd were mitchelin lt atx,s gripped good everywhere and lasted 130k.dont make them anymore.

8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Hi. Is that your lady's shopping trolley?

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Boss has Khumos on her Ford focus hachback. They seem to be pretty good. A bit road noisy but that's likely the car's fault as well.
    My V8 Jeep has Bridgestones and with most of them while towing 2 1/2 tonnes of 20' caravan plus about half a tonne in the Jeep, they have clocked up 80K to date and still going strong. Pretty good value I think. Have forgotten about the prices etc.
    Noel

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Nar but parking would be easy ha

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So after all this, I just realised my mechanic may have suggested Hankook tyres!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Stuffed if I know!

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Not a hell of a lot of difference between Kumhos and Hankooks, Jim. They are both good value brands for what you pay for them. Truth be known, most tyres these days in the middle range bracket are pretty much the same, nearly all made from the same compound, same ply rating and similar tread.

I've got Goodyear Wranglers on my Landcruiser only because they use Kevlar belting which makes them a good tough tyre for the punishment they get, but I'm paying for a name, not just a good tyre. On my second car, a Mazda Tribute, I run APlus Chinese cheapies - the entire set of 5 fitted & balanced cost less than 2 of my Landcruiser tyres. The APlus tyres hold the road well both on the blacktop and the dirt, quiet enough for the all terrain tread pattern and if I can get 50,000 clicks out of them I'll be happy.

Jeff

13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I know a tyre I don't recommend on my current model 2013 dmax, nitto G2. grips good on dry road useless on wet road, good grip when new off road dry not sure about wet and muddy, weak sidewalls pine tree root went through one, wear good, fairly quiet.

14. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. I have done over 200k in last 13 years , all on Khumo tyres. No problems at all. Cheers, Lyall.

15. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Guys I just got a great deal on Bridgestone 697Lt in 265/65/17 . 4x tyres, 1x wheel alignment, and rego inspection $839.
    Cheers Pete

Old fisho, blair, Dickson and 3 others like this.
  16. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    buy 4, get one free deal.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    reviews are good for the 697,s may put them on down the track. I do my own wheel alignments using 2 stringlines and tape measure after dhead tyre places did a couple of dodgy "alignments" I like doing that that's tuff when I am in the mood, measure off rims, tyre places usually just clamp their lazer on tyres which can be inconsistent so can the bloke using it.