1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

L/H or R/H?

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Jul 30, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Something I have noticed when watching fishing videos is that a lot of fishos when using spin gear will cast with their right hand and wind the reel with their left, but the same doesn't apply with bait-cast reels. They cast with the right and then swap the rod to the left hand so that the right winds the reel. You see very few fishos using a left hand wind bait-cast reel.

I'm a right hander in practically all things apart from swinging an axe, but I just can't get the hang of winding any reel with my left hand. It is interesting to note that Van Staal show their reels as being left hand wind only, unlike other spin reels that can be changed over from left to right.

How about the rest of you? Do you cast and wind with your right hand or are you ambidextrous?

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Never ever been that observant Jeff I do every thing right handed , never felt comfortable winding left hand.

Old fisho, diesel and creekboy like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Yonks ago I did a bit of spinning and was told to change my reel from right hand to left hand retrieve. Cast with my right hand, retrieve with my left. I asked the reason, and was told a left hand retrieve was quicker. As soon as the lure hits the water start retrieving, don't let the lure sink to deep, and you won't loose as many lures.

In those days nearly every fisho I saw spinning had there reels converted to left hand retrieve.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I am a left hander and have always cast with the right hand and retrieve with the left. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Kev I was told that, but I also heard you flip the bail as a quick wind can cause line twist.
    Wally

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It all depends on the type of lure one is using Kev. Apart from soft plastics that I want down deep, I mainly use top water and suspending hard bodies and with both of these types I pause for a couple of seconds before starting the retrieve. This gives any 'spooked' fish time to recover from the lure hitting the surface and generally a light twitch of the lure will be enough to encourage a strike. It doesn't work with all species of course, but the two that I mainly target up here in the north, barra & jacks, are very aggressive and it doesn't take much lure action to get a hit.

It's the same with flicking lures like Bassday Sugapens for whiting on the flats - cast, pause and then start the retrieve.

Jeff

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  7. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    On flick gear I mainly cast left handed as I get better accuracy, but I can cast both right and left on flick gear but it depends on what I am throwing. For small baits and lures I generally throw left handed but for bigger strip baits and larger lures I tend to go right and use the left hand to stop over-run when in tight cover or snaggy areas- not that it makes all that much difference but sometimes I can stop my lure going into the trees but I still tend to lose a few every now and then :(... There are some advantages to being ambidextrous I am naturally right handed and do 90% of things but I write left hand, even though I can also write right handed my left is much neater and it feels more natural being a lefty.
    On the bigger beach rods I cast right handed for distance- I find on the bigger gear I need more punch so right handed gives me bigger distance but far less accuracy, which isnt so much required on the beaches which makes sens to me, but prob not to everyone.

Cannot imagine casting an overhead left handed I have always thrown right handed and thumb the spool for accuracy, but I hardly use overhead/baitcast these days spin is just easier for me- but when I get into my kayak I might find the opposite and my preferences may change over time and with experience.

8. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Initially I cast baitcasters with the rod in the left hand and I reel with the right. I am now changing this to do both...and am getting used to it. Spin reels, I reel with the right hand but have a very bad habit of holding the rod with two hands whilst casting and it gets messy. I am also trying to change my ways and use one hand for the rod and one hand for the reel. Both left and right hand reeling.

Regardless of what type of reel being used, I think you need to avoid changing hands after the cast. That is what my goal is anyway. I also like the idea of using borh hands to reel as want to share the repetitive action between both hands.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    I like it both ways!

9. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I was always told as a kid that you cast with your 'strong' hand (in my case right) and reel in with your weaker hand. I think the theory behind it was that you play the fish with your stronger hand while the reel is only used to wind in line.

Felt funny the first few times getting used to it, but now it's second nature. Now it feels a bit weird when I grab someone else's rod when they have the reel handle on the right...

I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, just personal preference I guess...

10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi all , I am right handed and cast whith both hands on rod and wind whith my right, I tried to switch to winding whith left just not comfortable doesn't feel right,not just because its not my right,right?;). Will switch hands on prolonged battle to rest tired or sore right arm. bloody sore all over at present took mx bike for first fast ride today.
    cheers

11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Did you stay on the bike?
    As said in another post, with my light spin gear (using SPs and stuff) I cast right hand and at times both. With my fly gear I also cast with my right. On all but my beach rods on which I have always used overhead reels, I cast from the right shoulder and wind with the right. Other than that I prefer to not trust my fish to my less capable left hand. I understand that it was once, a long time ago, possible to buy left hand wind overheads but I've never seen one. Cast right, wind left, just seems to me a more efficient way to work.
    But to each his own I guess.
    Noel

kev209 likes this.
  12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yes stayed on bike but have have to hang on harder because I now weigh more than 33 years ago! a lot of body English was used to keep the yz pointed in right direction lucky its only a 125 not the 490 I was looking for.
    I also use one or 2 hands when casting.

kev209 likes this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've resurrected this topic to report that it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

When I arrived in the Lake Macquarie region late September, I changed all my spin reels from r/h to l/h retrieve with the determination of setting forth and mastering the l/h wind no matter how silly I look. After about 50 hours of casting lures and getting the feel of switching, I reckon I'm performing like a natural now.

My baitcasters will have to remain right handers for now. If I tried to sell them I wouldn't get what they are worth.

Jeff

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, why would winding left hand make you look sillier? To this simple mind it would be a sign of extreme intelligence.
    I wouldn't do it any other way but can't change my overhead reels to L/H wind without holding the rod by the tip and fishing from the butt.
    Noel.
    Glad you've joined the club.

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hmm, look sillier? o_O

After more than 60 years of winding right handed Noel, I found when I first changed over to l/h the rod had a real pronounced wobble to it when retrieving, which isn't such a bad thing if you want to work a surface lure. It was if I had no control over the tip movement of the rod and that is something that annoys me.

Jeff

Old fisho, blair and kev209 like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It only needs some practice initially due to being strange, rather than being difficult.
    After that it becomes an improvement in fishing efficiency.

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I reckon I've got it sorted now, in fact I changed one reel back to r/h and after many hundreds of retrievals with a l/h wind, my original right hand method seemed awkward. It's amazing how fast the human body can adapt.

Jeff

Old fisho, blair and kev209 like this.
  18. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I'm RH all the way except rifle and pistol shooting on that I am ambidextrous......

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    RH ed, tried to switch didn't feel right will switch hands if arm tires on long battle, RH shooter.

20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I really don't define anything by the hand I use to wind a reel.
    What I do believe is that, being right hand dominant,
    I fish--- as in hold the rod in my dominant hand.
    I would place more faith in that hand than my left with a decent
    and difficult fish on a line.
    Though it ends up the same, my reasons for winding left hand is not
    because I'm trying to be left handed.
    I 'fish' right handed.
    Noel

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.