1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lake Macquarie Spots

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Spike, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Spike

Spike New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Hi All

I am heading up to Lake Macquarie next week and I am looking for any good spots to catch bream, whiting, flathead etc.

If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Spike

2. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi there spike
    Have You got a map or can you download Google earth?OK the power station at vales pt sth end warm water outlet good spot to get out of the wind.Wyee bay right up end near water outlet beware on approach in narrow channel rims around edge had sounder off nearly ran aground in middle also little pt near overhead power lines.Pulbah Island deep water can be productive all round deep.Artificial reefs near gapalibah 4 of.swansea channel and bridge good Jew spot.Ramps at Summerland pt Gwandalan Blacksmiths pelican pt .If you need gps pts pm me.Also Dora creek go up as far as you dare. For blackfish try Lucys wall.Theres a few to get you started.Good crabbing also
    Cheers let us know how ya do The lake is unreal and big believe me you can get lost on it.
    CHICKA

3. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    :) Chicka your spot on
    can i come fishing with you some time:)

4. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    most takle shops will point you in the right direction but chika's got it covered

5. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Maybe see ya on the water look for a red savage called AVAGO.My girl and i live in Sydney NTH BEACHES but in between Pittwater and Syd Harbour we cruise up to holliday house at Summerland Pt
    Cheers Chicka

6. imaplebian

imaplebian New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Hi spike
    I live at Belmont . Are you land based or do you have a boat?? I have been catching some nice whiting opposite the coast guard building but only after dark using bloodworm and tubeworm also have been catching some really nice bream and tailor in salts bay again in the dark using bonito baits

7. Spike

Spike New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Hi Guys

Back from Lake Macquarie with some pictures of some fish I caught fishing from the point at Belmont Pines caravan park. I caught more fish land based than I did in the boat.

Regards
    Spike

View attachment 1001 [/ATTACH]

8. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    HI mate
    Glad ya did well.Can't seem to open the pics by clicking on them.The lake is a haven now commercial fishing has stopped.
    CHEERS CHICKA

9. imaplebian

imaplebian New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Hi CHICKA asked around and it seems that the fishing at the moment is fairly good getting some nice bream and whiting also catching some bigger flathead on soft plastics round the dropover.Did hear they were getting some tailor and the odd kingy round Pulba , weather might be a problem blowing a fairly strong southerly at the moment. phillip

10. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    been fishing at the end of old airport been getting heaps of squire :D most a bit small so back they go give a bit of fun on light gear also small tailor bit of a pain also got a couple of nice flatties around 50cm mark watched a guy drag a monster flaty using a small bream as a livey:confused:
    so the lake is comeing to life again cant wait to get my boat ready again

also any one i the lake area keen to go fishing some time give us a yell
    cheers happy easter all:)

11. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Mate
    Where's the old airport.Went fishing in Lovett Bay Pittwater and caught a 60 cm flattie on fresh squid and several large bream but got smoked by a Kingie.I guess its the price you pay on light gear.Was using a Daiwa Procaster and Shimano 1500 Symeter four kilo braid 6 lb leader and when it took off it peeled off half the spool,ping!
    CHEERS CHICKA

12. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    hi chicka the old airport is at pelican if your heading into swansea channel past the sand islands its on your left just before the marina

13. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    i ve been using my 2-4 kg drop shot with a shimno nexava only got 6lb fire line and been using 20lb mono leader flathead dont fight to hard caght a 35cm bream he had plenty off fight all fun and games

14. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks for the tip.Gotta try Nth areas .Because we are based at summerland pt usually dont go past Pullbah Is.With wind up its usually Vales pt power stn or Wyee Bay.Big bream are good fun they really smash your bait or lure.I have found the lighter leader of 3 or 6lb better and the flatties dont seem to mind.
    Will keep in touch let ya know how we go.weathers a bit of a worry.
    CHEERS CHICKA

15. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    heaps of spots around the lake
    most popular is probably the drop over north of the sand islands at swansea channel i use to live at the northern end of the lake and fished around that area but have moved to belmont now and trying spots around this area thats a good thing about the lake plenty of spots to try plus the beaches breakwalls and the hunter river so many choices so little time

only use heavy leader cause that was all i had at the time but once i run out i will drop down on my main rod
    the weather is crap at the momment
    cheers