1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Line / Braid / Leaders etc

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by User1, Aug 24, 2005.

1. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Not being totally up with all the terminology myself, as well as 'braid' etc which seems to me to be a more recent development, can anyone give a beginners guide to the types of lines that are common place now, as well as the intended uses, tips etc for them.

2. TheBream

TheBream New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    for a alround eastry and light spinning out fit i would say the most common would have to be some 8lb fireline (braid) with a meter of 10lb leader matrial like some vanish

this setup would be used to catch bream, bass, trout, yellowbelly and those types of fish but you could easyly use it as a bait fishing outfist too however i would advise of not haveing the sinker running on braid as although it is strong it has low resistance to abbrasion

3. cvbass

cvbass New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    For the Beginners
    Braided lines have become more and more popular in current years as they offer a smaller diameter line with a higher breaking strain, as TheBream stated, they do have a lower abrasion resistance to that of the standard Monofilament lines. There have been numerous new knots made in recent times for joining mono and braided lines or tying braid to swivels etc. to maintain the breaking strain of the line. Braided lines are also non stretch so it is much easier to feel bites and lures working.

Monofilament Lines are the most used lines due to cost, wear resistance and ease of use, tying knots etc.

Leader Lines come in varying styles, such as Toughened Mono for general use, and wire for those toothed critters of the deep :)

Hope this helps

4. aussiebasser

aussiebasser New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    For ease of use, up to 10lb breaking strain I mainly use Fireline. I've given up on 4lb though as I've found it a bit unreliable. Above 10lb, I use Bionic Braid. 20lb for Bass and 30 and 50lb for Barra and Cod. I've been using some new 8lb Bionic Braid in the brown colour lately, and it is the duck's guts. I'll have to spool up a threadline with it and give it a try though.
    For leaders I use Knotted Dogs across the whole range. The beauty of these leaders is that you don't get a knot tag rattling through the guides. You also don't need any fancy knots, I only know two knots, and one of them is in me shoes! I'm not yet convinced that Flourocarbon is all it's cracked up to be. It is not high on Abrasion resistance, or knot strength, and the invisibility of it is yet to be scientifically proved. For single strand mono leaders, I use Penn 10x and if I ever get really dumb and go Bream fishin' I use Stren Magnathin!!!