1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lure Change

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Bluefin, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Tried the samaki whitebait Viblicious today, Flogged a spot I knew had to hold flathead, changed to a dragon maggot, 2 from the same spot, It Also accounted for the moses and the biggest flattie for the day. With sax scent of course, Crab !!

Attached Files:

Old fisho, Rod Bender, diesel and 2 others like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    thx for the lure tips bluefin, u got to laugh at the names of some of the lures out there. The fish are really starting to bite around here on the central coast ive been getting so many big flatties (about 20 2nd last time out blokes, on nearby wharf flabbergasted) on plastics its getting annoying unhooking and handling them to throw back I am loosing time trying to hook jewies, one flattie hooked me a good revenge slash, entry and exit holes in finger about 10mm apart. when I eventually threw him back in I bet he glided down to his mates and said " I got that p---k in the bassmaster a good one, just keep still for few secs wait till they start lifting u then let em have it!
    nice perch , never caught one myself but will do some northern species fishing one day.
    I wonder if spam is a good bait? ha ha
    tight lines

3. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    There are a lot of small Flatties around, The hook up gets your attention for a few seconds !!

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Have a few Dragon Maggots (as in SPs, not real ones) Actually, I have never seen a dead dragon from which to collect the real maggots. That's by the by.
    One of my mates swears by them but to date they've done nothing special for me.
    Of course that could be the other way around. Do you have a special twitch or something with them Blue?

5. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Only a slow lift. My favourite retrieve on most SP's

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I use a slow lift whith a pause in the middle and wind in while lowering the rod tip, usually

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I go with those two comments but I know we all have our own techniques.
    I use small lifts (1/2m) and apply three, four, or even five in succession.
    On the last drop I spin the reel handle and move the rod back at the same time.
    This hopefully has the effect of keeping a straight line and direct contact with the lure and often results in a fish at that point.
    The big crash and burn retrieve works quite well in places like Mallacoota and/or anywhere else in deep water.
    If used here the SP would be virtually out of the water. Our lake averages barely 2m in most places.
    generally there's only one rule in fishing to remember:
    'THERE'S NO RULES IN FISHING'.
    We make your own play with what we are comfortable with. What works best for you is what you're happiest with. And of course we fish best with what we're happiest with.
    Put that into life's perspective and it's not a bad place to have it, it reads; 'We do best what we enjoy most, and conversely; we enjoy most, what we are best at'. Choose your own way to see it.

I note Blair called Bluefin's fish a perch and it's not so different in shape to our estuary perch but the black mark made me think of fingermark bream. Am I wrong again? I am used to being wrong and am no expert in northern fish. Also, the teeth are not like our perch.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    There is a lot of confusion surrounding Fingermark and Moses Perch, This is a moses perch, they grow to around 50 c/m . Fingermark are more silver and grow to a meter.

9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks. That fits with my memories of some fingermarks caught a few years ago.
    Is the 'so-called' fingermark further forward on them? N

10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've never caught a Moses Perch, but I have caught a lot of Fingermark or what we call Golden Snapper in the north, very golden/bronze colour and an excellent table fish. They are often mistakenly identified as Moses Perch and Mangrove Jacks, all three species belonging to the Lutjanidae family (tropical snappers and seaperches).

Noel, my best catches of consistently large Golden Snapper came from a spot in Bynoe Harbour on the way out to Dundee Beach - a place you would be familiar with. In fact, my mate in Darwin phoned me last week to brag about his latest catch from that spot in the hope that he could entice me to go and fish the 'buildup' with him. As much as I'm tempted, just can't get away at the moment.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Bluefin like this.