1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Mahseer Fishing in India

Discussion in 'Going Fishing, Travelling?' started by himalayan outback, Jul 23, 2019.

1. himalayan outback

himalayan outback New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    The Mahseer is highly regarded for its fighting abilities – using the fast flowing waters of the Himalayan Rivers even a 15 lb Mahseer can put up a fight that is not for the faint hearted. The British (during their stay in India) and the Indian Royalty popularized fishing for the species, and for some it became a rite of passage akin to killing a tiger! Stout tackle was the order of the day and often that too did not measure up to the power and brute force exerted by the Mahseer . If you are looking for a fishing adventure then there are few others that measure up to the Golden Mahseer of the Indian Himalayan Rivers!
    If You want more information Please logon to this website https://himalayanoutback.com/
    or contact +91 981 560 5847

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A couple of months ago I bought a new pair of hiking boots from the Kathmandu shop in Rockhampton and I automatically became a member of the Kathmandu Club (old farts free).

Big deal says me, but within a very short time I was invited to join a group of members for a trek to the Everest Base Camp (at my own expense). I shot them back an email asking if I could have my own personal Sherpa to carry my fishing gear - no answer. I assumed that they must have thought I was joking, but I'm sure Jeremy Wade of River Monsters chased fish in the Himalayan waters and it could have been the mahseer.

They are a powerful looking fish. Mahseer-Research-Centre-Mahseer.JPG

Jeff

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Welcome to TBX HO

creekboy, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Looks like a elongated big mouthed carp.

creekboy, Old fisho, Dickson and 2 others like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It wasn't the Mahseer that Jeremy Wade chased, it was the Goonch Catfish....a different fish altogether.

Goonch Catfish.jpg
    Jeff

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would like to go there for a fish and chase those big brown trout looking fish, I will ask them if they can supply a few Sherpas to carry me and my fishing gear, I only weigh about 80kg heh heh.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Those Goonch are bloody dangerous . look at the teeth on it! apparently they grow really huge and have been known to eat people and livestock. probably use a goat for bait for a big one:eek:

creekboy, Old fisho and Madfisher like this.
  8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Could I catch one on SPs with my 4lb braid line do you think?
    If not I could use my #2 weight Fenwick fly rod.
    I imagine a great tussle lasting several days.
    Noel
    The ultimate optimist

creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    ha ha it would probably sit on the bottom of the river wondering what the slightly annoying tugging on its lip is.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.