1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New to Black fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Snapper, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Snapper

Snapper New Member

Nov 13, 2020
    Hi all Iam new to this forum. Been fishing all my life so I thing its time to try black fish fishing. I have no problems setting up but when it comes to bait (weed) that a grey area for me. First can I use the fine weed from freshwater drains or does it have to be from salt water area. I live in Jervis Bay and find it hard to find weed that has not been grazed down too low to harvest so Iam liking for a good cabbage patch also I know its like extracting teeth but a general head up would help.

diesel and Madfisher like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Welcome to the Forum Snapper, i am a fresh water fisho so not much help to you sorry/
    Cheers Pete

diesel likes this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Welcome Snapper, I am one of the few saltwater fisho's here but unfortunately I dont chase niggers... However I have heard the freshwater stringy weed goes okay for them as long as its fresh. You can also harvest cabbage and some string weed from the ocean rock pools and headlands, there is where I would be starting to look. Dont overlook baits like blood worms/tube worms and also prawns or nippers for the blackfish I have caught a lot of them as bycatch when chasing Bream and Flatties up here on the coast- most on live blood and tube worms and a few back when I was a kid on nippers and prawns around the breakwalls on the north coast.

Hope this helps

diesel and Tackleberry like this.
  4. Snapper

Snapper New Member

Nov 13, 2020
    Thank you for your replies. Just a few more questions. Reelaxation are the blood worm the type you have in a compost bin. And can you catch Blackfish using Cunje normally used for Drummer.

5. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Blood worms are marine worms you dig them up on mudflats, you used to be able to buy them from tackle shops in NSW but since the white spot in QLD you cannot buy them, the closest you can get would be tube worms.

sorry have no idea about cunjevoi for bait. If you are on Facebook there is a blackfish group you can join up and ask any questions there

diesel likes this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I was a mad keen luderick & drummer fisho in my younger years and although you can't get a better bait for pigs, luderick didn't like cunjevois all that much.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Jeff

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi Snapper, welcome to the forum. I cant help either I am a inland lake fisho.
    Wally

8. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Welcome aboard.
    There is a heap of info. on Google about Black fish.
    Cheers.

diesel likes this.