1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New to Fishing - Reels/Rods???

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by jumma, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jumma

jumma New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Hi all

I have recently had a go at "real" fishing for the first time last weekend. A mate took me out in his Quintrex which is very well set up for outside fishing. We fished in 40-50 metres and caught half a dozen large flathead, around 45-60 cm each. We were using a braided line on reels with a double hook set up and a large sinker. The hooks we used were flathead hooks for obvious reasons. Now my question is which line do I need?

I want to do some outside fishing for larger fish such as king, snapper etc and I also want to do some lighter fishing in rivers and lakes for smaller flathead, bream, whiting, tailor etc...

I imaging I need a differnet rod/reel set up for each case. One being a heavier duty (outside) and the other being a lighter duty (inside). I image the first would warrant braided and the other a lighter mono line.

Has anyone got any tips as to which rod/reel combos are a good start without spending too much. I dont mind spending around $200 for each set up all up! Or is this just not enough? For a decent quality that is!!!

Thanks for any advice...

Cheers

Jumma

2. SA_Angler

SA_Angler New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Well jumma every one like to use there own brands spinning or overhead. I perfer to use a Pflueger rod & reel with braid spinning and overhead for my light gear. I use Shimano overhead with Maxima Ultragreen 30kg line for my snapper. I also have lots more roods & reels but these ones are my fav and i spent $250 each for the Pflueger and $300 for the shimano. But if you go to your local tackle shop and say what your looking for how much you want to spend they will help thats what i did...........
    [/color]
    Cheers SA_Angler..

3. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Surprise everyone and try Fly Fishing :)
    Not all the fish are the size of the one in my avatar .lololololol.

4. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    dont do ant seriuos out side fishing but live at lake macquaire and use a drop shot 2-4kg rod with a shimano reel 6lb braid
    have caught afew good size flat head 60 cm plus with out to much trouble getting them in also some nice bream
    so i dont think personally you need a light combo much heavier for around bays
    payed under 200 im sure others may dis agree also have an old glassmaster (len burton rod i think cant read the name no more ) with a rainbow rd50 reel with 10lb braid that is a real fighting stick around the lake but not very sensitive compared to the drop shot
    thats my experince hope it helps but definatly talk to a few poeple see what the trends are and any good tackle shop can set you up just ask
    all the best

5. Rob Roffey

Rob Roffey New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Any tackle shop worth their weight will steer you in the right direction , in more ways than one , they will help you with tackle selection and may even tell you about some hot spots

6. ziller

ziller New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    jumma , i got a 6ft spin combo from bcf for $100 .
    its an ugly stik with a shakespeare overhead real and it comes with 12pound line.
    it works an absolute treat, and you wanna see the bend on it.

7. jumma

jumma New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks all to advice!

I picked up a Takota rod, 6 ft with a Saltist overhead 40H. It goes well. I have about 30 lb braid on it. I took it out a few eeks ago off the Illawarra coast where I live in Wollongong and fish time I caught my very first king. He was a 80cm and he put up a good fight. Caught him just 400m off south beach too. Caught on squid, packet not fresh!!!!

I also picked up a Daiwa rod, reel combo for up to 4 kg estuary fishing. It hasnt caught anything yet. It is an egg beater and I have been playing with lure casting with it a bit, which I really enjoy.

All up these two outfits cost me just ubder 500 coins with good quality braided and mono line for both and a few other bits and pieces. I got the Saltist for $220 which I though was pretty good compared to most prices I had found on the net. I bought the saltist as I was impressed with the reviews I have read compared to the shimano ie. tekota etc.....

Anyhow - thanks to all, I will be getting lots of use out of my gear this year and hopefully catch a few more of those kings as they taste great (we cooked him up on BBQ for tea that night, he feed eigth of us)...

Cheers

Jumma