1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New Ugly Stik Rods

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Robert Stone, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    There are nine new Ugly stik rods just released. Come with a seven year warranty. Thats better than the other major players.

2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Awesome rods even without the 7yr warranty... I have several in my collection and when using bait they outperform any other rod I have ever used and most are pushing 10yrs or older. hard to go past the UglyStik rods and good value for $$$

diesel and kev. like this.
  3. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I just orded the 7'3" 4-7Kilo. This will make number five. There are discount prices already.

4. billfisher

billfisher New Member

Aug 28, 2020
    I still have on of the early ones. Bought in 1978 and I still fish with it. All the guides are original too.

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    If you remember I have a broken penn fishing rod and because of covod they can't get stock so I sent back a message about a Ugly Stik Bluewater with the fazlite guide 5 to 8 kg 701 theyl poked it I'm happy with that but do you have a link to these new ones my Google who is not really good.
    Cheers TAC

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I like Ugly Stiks, but I'm not sure about this new range. Being 100% graphite, they may not be as tough as the traditional composite rods such as the Gold, Bluewater or the discontinued Platinum series.

Jeff

7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    If it's the carbon they're been out for a long time especially in America I thought it might have been some new Wizbang rod I'll stick with a blue water as far as I'm concerned they are the best Ugly Stik ever built and I've got ugly sticks going back 30 year

https://www.uglystik.com.au/product/bluewater-rod/

diesel, Master Baiter and Madfisher like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    They are being marketed here as the Ugly Stik Carbon, Tac.

Jeff

Madfisher, kev. and Tackleberry like this.
  9. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    The new Ugly Stik ( Carbon ) was released this year in the USA. They have only been released in Australia recently.
    I ordered on yesterday, with a seven year warranty,I don't think I will have any problems. I hope they release a beach rod.

diesel, Tackleberry and kev. like this.
  10. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    According to Ugly Stik these new rods are 37% stronger than previous Ugly Stik rods. The 7' weighs 4.9 Ounces in round figures

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    kev. and diesel like this.
  11. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I just weighed a gold Ugly Stik 7'6" 8.5 Ounces. Interesting.

kev. and diesel like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's not quite right Robert. They claim that they are 37% stronger than 'traditional graphite' rods, but not composite rods. Traditional graphite rods is a very broad term when you consider how many different brands are marketed.

Jeff

kev. likes this.
  13. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Exactly right and I can vouch for how piss weak the pen graphite rods are

14. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    So I just did some more research on these rods nothing new here they have a solid carbon tip my son has a very tough rovex fishing rod that he bought way back in 2009 fantastic rod hollow carbon blank with a solid tip very tough rod .

15. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I didn't see the word traditional anywhere. I Have looked at several reports on these rods and no complaints. Early days and a seven year warranty, better than Shimano, Daiwa and the rest.

16. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Tac,
    You were unlucky with your Penn rod.There could have been a fault the same as I had with a Shimano Jewel, snapped first time out.

17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Robert, I snipped this from the Ugly Stik website.

US carbon.JPG

Jeff

18. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Thank you.

19. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I had a look at the 7' 4-8kg baitcaster model today and I think it's a nice looking rod for the price, felt good with a 200 size reel. I'm not sure about the one piece stainless steel guides - I guess time will tell if they are as good as guides with inserts.

Would I buy one? Probably not, but only because I don't need one in that size.

Unfortunately, the store didn't have the 7'3" spin rod that you have bought Robert, it sold as soon as it hit the rack.

Jeff

kev. likes this.
  20. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I think these One Piece guides are a solution looking for a problem I have never popped a guide in my life and I'm not exactly easy on my gear but I will only buy fishing rods with Fuji guides on