1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

No Bushfires at the moment !!!

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Bluefin, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Here Comes The Rain !!

Attached Files:

blair, creekboy, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    No bushfires around here either nearly getting drowned by rain instead, only in Australia? drought, fire, flood.

3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    ... Then I heard this morning there was also an earth quake on the central coast and newcastle areas.... First there was fire, then flooding, now earth quakes... what will be next???

4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Don't worry Tim Flannery will be along shortly to explain why it's all happening

Kev209., creekboy, blair and 2 others like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It will be a locust plague of biblical proportions - they've just had one in South Africa, our turn next. :rolleyes:

Jeff

6. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    We had one of them just north of here several years ago it was nasty stuff ....

Kev209., creekboy, Bluefin and 2 others like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    There is a fken mosquito plague here, don't need to give blood a few times a year anymore just stand outside for 5 minutes after sunset!

8. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Anyone remember the Mice Plagues ??????

9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Hell yeah like 500 under one sheet of corrugated iron

Kev209., creekboy and blair like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I went through a couple of them in the wheat belt country in South Australia. The property I lived on about 35 kms west of Ceduna was in one the hardest hit areas of the state with the DPI calculating more than a million mice to the acre. I used open top 44 gallon drums half full of water with a slippery stick suspended over the top and a tasty morsel hanging on a string to catch up to 3,000 a night on my verandah. Just driving out town after dark I would have probably killed 100's of thousands of them along the highway where in places they were so numerous that in the car headlights it looked like the entire road surface was a grey moving carpet.

A source of amusement for me was to lay a big truck tarp flat on the ground each evening and in the morning I would lift 1 corner and let my 3 crazy dogs under the tarp - they went absolutely berserk chomping mice. It was amazing how quickly the plagues ended and it is believed that the mice die from over population stress, not from lack of food.

Just writing about this has bought back memories of the stink of mouse urine everywhere you went.

Jeff

11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I remember seeing the plague on tv

Kev209., creekboy and Tackleberry like this.
  12. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    We were in Ararat (Vic) when that happened. We couldn't guy traps, poison or any other product that might help. At night they crossed the roads like autumn leaves. The first time we saw them, that's what we thought they were until we realised there were no trees there. Any mouse left in a trap and they had to be checked every two or three minutes, was eaten by others. We used a dish with a greased bottle and bait like Jeff's drum but it filled with mice so quickly, they just walked out of the dish. A small round hole in the yard, with a hose trickling into it would see a couple of hundred mice come out. My lab gave each one a quick bite and dropped them. No cat would touch one.
    Looked up one night and several were sitting on a curtain rod.
    Bloody terrible. And locusts; the smell in the street when cars parked, reeked of them cooked in radiators. Terrible smell.
    The only thing we've not seen a plague of is fish.
    Noel.

Kev209., creekboy, blair and 2 others like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    plage of fish ha ha, a plague of large jewfish would be good right now, still haven't caught one haven't tried either.

GOAT : getting paranoid expecting kick up arse every time leaves house.:eek: