1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Not much at Kmart...

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, May 15, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    ...in the way of fishing rods/combos in Shepparton when I went in today. I went in this arvo to get something else and checked out the tackle section. There was stuff all in the way of rods and combos. Terminal tackle and lures seemed to be well stocked. Has anyone noticed this in their local store?
    Cheers
    Team Bender

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    All the Kmart stores Lyn and I have been in over the last year have cut there fishing tackle sections by about 50%. In most of the stores all they stock is combos no single rods and very few reels.

Big W cut the fishing sections out completely in some stores, but I have noticed they are starting to sell fishing gear again in some stores, but not stocking as much. Last week Lyn and I went shopping at Big W for a new doona cover, as usual I headed to the fishing section, what a bloody mess broken rod tips combos pulled apart and thrown back into the racks, handles missing from reels tackle just chucked on shelves. What satisfaction would anyone get out of destroying things like that.

Rod Bender, creekboy and diesel like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes I have and the one thing that pissed me off was that all the halco , Gilles lures and anything of quality has been replaced with chinga junk not even any Berkley softys.
    It's all rubbish here .

Bluefin, Rod Bender, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  4. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Greenys

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Woolworths announced last month that they would be closing up to 60 Big W stores over the next 3 years due to profit loss. They cannot compete with online sales as well as the competition they get from other major stores.

They have not disclosed yet which stores will close, but more than likely they will be in the capitol city shopping centres and larger regional towns. There may be some good specials available once they have earmarked a store for closure because it makes better sense to them to massively reduce their prices to clear stock rather than transport it elsewhere. That's my spin on it anyway, but the fact still remains that their fishing gear these days is cheap & nasty, no matter what price they sell it for.

A couple of years ago when Big W was in the process of clearing all their Berkley stock, I bought a lot of soft plastics for $1.00 a bag, sold more than half of them to a local fishing club and kept some for myself once I had recovered my outlay. I'm not a big fan of Berkley sp's, but they are better than a lot of cheapies out there on the market.

Jeff

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Like Kev said, no point in going into K mart any more for fishing tackle. Lyall.

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  7. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Kmart and BigW in Erina used to stock loads of goodies- Squidgies/gulps and decent braid/leader but its all Tsunami and JW rubbish now.
    I just go to BCF or order online these days easier I know they will have what I want - I dont buy rods and reels anymore as I have WAY too many... But lures, terminal tackle, line and leaders I all get from BCF.
    I buy bait from a place that's a good 40min+ drive away only because there are no other live bait suppliers on the coast, else I get fresh from the co-op in WoyWoy.

I like to support where I can and I recently picked up some squidgies from Aldi (and yes they were the old colours not the new pro range) and 1 even came with S-factor all for $5 a pack.
    Ive been trying to get some Serge Lures prawno and divers but they sell out quick and its online only through their FB page- they are donging everything from whiting, bream, flatties, taylor, salmon and even the odd jew and tuna have fallen for these lures- and the best part is they are made here on the coast... just to get a few I will prob end up selling all my other lures and just flick these around in the future.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  8. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    These two stores used to be a staple of my fishing purchases. I remember once at the Burwood East K-Mart, they were getting rid of all their 'Sportfisher' gear and were selling rod/reel combo's for $5! Even the surf rods were only $15. I still have quite a few of them (like, 10) in my collection.

Big W used to be OK as well. I used to go there, not only for terminal tackle, but cheap lures as well. I remember the Kokoda 'Sprog' they used to sell (I think for less than $5) was dynamite on Reddies and Trout. They also used to sell the Shimano Sienna reels, which I considered purchasing, but never did. Kind of wish I had of now, they were only about $30 a few years ago. Big W seem to to be phasing out their fishing gear - there's none in the Box Hill store where I used to go.

I agree that their stocks are getting progressively worse. It's as if they order in random fishing gear off some random stock list. Like Kev said, half the gear seems to be broken or missing.

There's not much in the way of tackle stocres near me at the moment.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I was in there this morning spending money on my fkn cats so I checked out the fishing section. Still lots of vacant shelf space but some improvement. The Black Queen/Ryobi reel combos have returned. Priced at $50...they don't seem too bad. Not the quality they used to be but cheap none the less.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Closet cat lover!

kev209, diesel and creekboy like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Cats are alright, but I couldn't eat a whole one on my own :D

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Cats make great hats

12. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Dimsims or flog'em as long tailed rabbits