1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Off to catch my first Lake Eildon Cod.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by jedgpz, Jul 23, 2020.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    spent a few days over at Lake Eildon chasing my first Lake Eildon Cod. Decided to go to the Jews Creek area as from what I had been told this is the best end of the Lake to fish for Cod.
    Day one fished up to the big river and flicked big swimbaits and trolled large hard bodies for doughnuts.
    Day two fished some smaller bays. No Cod and one nice brown trout on the troll. Still yet to get my Eildon Cod but feel like it was a great learning experience and we feel like it is only a matter of time and we will get the Eildon cod monkey off our back.
    If we are not locked down further our next attempt at the Eildon Cod will be at some time in sept - oct.
    Cheers
    Jed

Dickson, blair, Tackleberry and 3 others like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I wish you the best and hope for a Thumper......

Cheers tac

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Jed,the Delatite Arm can be consistent for big Cod and Yella's most time's of the year. A lot more water this year made it good fishing last month, prior to lock down which has stuffed up the Melbourne boys who would probably catch the most Cod and Yella's.
    Wally

Tackleberry, blair and diesel like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Best of luck in the future quest for a Cod.
    Pete

Tackleberry and blair like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    For some reason i still havent gone cod fishing.

Tackleberry likes this.
  6. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    One on fly is the ultimate mate. I once got amnd 85cm while using a sinking fly line and a size 4 xxx long zonker for yellas in Wyangala.
    Cheers Pete

blair, Tackleberry and Master Baiter like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Pete what is a zonker?
    wally

blair, Madfisher and Tackleberry like this.
  8. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Me neither Blair I need to get off my bum and do it as when I was a Rugrat my father used to catch a lot of cod in the Goulburn and the Murray cheers Tac

Wow that is good going that would have been one hell of a fight

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    blair and Madfisher like this.
  9. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    LOL, yes a lot more then I bargained for, lost nearly the whole fly line (30m) straight down, and at a very fast rate. Anyone who reckons Cod dont fight should have seen this one go. I est it to be about 30lb.
    A zonker is a long strip of rabbit fur tied along the top of the hook, usually with a fairly long tail to give more movement. Purple is my fav colour for natives. Then I usually add a belly in with what ever i have laying around.
    We have caught more cod on fly in Wyangala then yellas I think. When I got the 85 i only had 12lb fluro tippett so I could not go to hard.
    Pete

blair and Master Baiter like this.
  10. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Sounds like an oversized clauser bloody good fly for all kinds of water like the matuka

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    blair likes this.
  11. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Tack a lot more fur movement then either a matuka or clouser,trick is to get your retrieve right so that tail is dancing around. I do make the tail a bit longer then standard zonkers. You need to check it reguraly to make sure the tail has not wrapped around the hook
    Pete

blair and Tackleberry like this.