1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Oh **** !

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Quaker, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Oh S#*#

Well, I took the boat out today for my second voyage, we went to Ardrossan hoping to land some snapper, but the weather turned ugly & we were stuck in huge seas. We finally got the boat back on the trailer, & decided to head to Wallaroo on the other side of the peninsula. The chop there was just as bad, so we decided to head back towards Adelaide, & maybe find a sheltered bay somewhere along the way.
    We entered a roundabout at Kadina, when something caught my eye in the rear view mirror. Yep, it was the hull of the boat, bow in the air, stern on the road, then it was all on the road. That's what happens when you forget to attatch the chain & shackle at the bow. Luckily a car load of boaties stopped to help us, & so did a very bemused cop.
    I had ratchet straps which were rated at 2000kg's attatched to the transon, but they tore clean in half.
    Looks like the rest of my weekend will be spent doing fibreglass repairs.:(

2. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Oh NO!!!!

3. emu

emu New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Thats a bit of bad luck mate luckily no one was hurt its one of those things. I bet there a lot of people on hear who could tell some stories of towing boats and some of the stuff ups that happen.
    Cheers Emu

4. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Yeah, considering we had just driven 60k.m's+ at 110k.p.h, we were extremely lucky it came off when it did. Things could have been much worse, even fatal.

5. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    hi quaker
    there has been many stories about boats coming off trailers
    so many people just rely on the winch strap
    i would be very concerned about youre ratched straps braking 2000kg straps should have no prob holding a boat
    glad to hear no one was hurt just youre pocket and pride

saftey first safety last

6. GAB's

GAB's New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Not the best Australia Day for you then Quaker, bad luck mate, I hope you get it all fixed okay [​IMG]

Cheers
    GAB's

7. Dr DRIFT

Dr DRIFT New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Sorry to hear bout ur misshap......
    Could of been alot worse and count ur lucky stars that no one got hurt....

8. Coonta Kinta

Coonta Kinta New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    How unnerving would that have been. The cost to your pride alone would be enough to ensure it only ever happened once. Was it the first roundabout Quaker, or the second? If the first perhaps u could drop it off @ Gunnings see'n as how u were right out front and simply got a new one!

9. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Hahaha, it was the roundabout on the way from Wallaroo to Kadina, sort of out in the middle of nowhere. It would've been a lot mor embarrassing if it was in the middle of town.:p

10. Loopy

Loopy New Member

May 19, 2006
    yep that would definately top the day off. it suddenly became beer o'clock.

11. steve37

steve37 New Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Everyones worst nightmare,that recall sent shivers down my spine,
    May need therapy to get over that.

12. meldar

meldar New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    same thing happened to me yesterday, travelling at 110kph looked in mirror and noticed front of boat bouncing,pulled off highway and checked to find winch strap had broken at connection to hook.luckily had safety chains attached,had to tie knot in strap and drive 100km to get home. this is the 2nd time in three years strap has broken,always make sure it is winched up flat and tight.is this a common problem? i am looking for alternatives.

13. Sparkesy1

Sparkesy1 New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    As I use a steel cable, I dont have your problems. But when I had winsh Strap, a close mate (very experineced said that he replaces his strap every 2 years - just in case. Oh, and I always have the safety chain on - ven just to pull up ramp where I will pack up boat - never too careful

John

14. ozdevil

ozdevil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    guys

both steel cable and winch strap both have there dramas and there is better gear out on the Market and it wont dissapoint you at all

about 5 years ago i invested in an item it is called Winch rope it doesnt fray like whinch strap does it doesnt give of sharp nics as steelcable does and lasts a hell of a lot longer then both in my opinion

i have now had my whinch rope for 5 years now and i will never look at going back to steel cable or strap and i reckon i will get another 5 years out of my winch rope i have on

it was the best 35 bucks i had ever spent on the boat... got sick of replacing steel cable and geting wire splinters from it

but these days i am rather lazy i mostly drive on the trailer which means i am putting less stress on my winch gear

cheers
    OZ

15. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    How's the boat now champ? All fixed up?

16. Quaker

Quaker New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Yeah, all fixed, every voyage brings a new story, like when I didn'y pay any attention to landmarks, & drifted 30 odd k.m's into the gulf, & ran out of fuel trying to get back.:( Luckily I had a full jerry on board, which almost got us to the ramp. Luckily we know how to row. :rolleyes:

17. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006

have heard quite a few people going to spectra rope i think its called as strong as steel without the snake bite frays and doesnt fray like straps appear to or twist up and no ones complained off it snapping maybe a worth while investment definatly worth looking into

18. triman

triman New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    If you have a winch wire I'd recommend winding it fully off the drum at least every second outing and ensuring that there are no riding turns or kinks in the wire. Both riding turns and kinks will "cripple" a wire, weaken it dramatically and lead to unexpected failure at the worst possible time.
    Regarding winch straps they should be completely removed from the drum every month or two and thoroughly inspected for cuts, nicks and other signs of weakness. Also ensure that their are no twists in the strap. Pay particular attention to the sewing where the winch hook is sewn into the end of the strap. In cheaper brands the thread can be a non-UV stabilised product and the thread can deteriorate quickly in the sunlight. Also if it has been sewn by illegal immigrants in someone's garage at $2 an hour it may just be normal needlework cotton and rot quickly if allowed to get wet.
    Regarding the new gee-whiz winch ropes I have no experience with them at all and would welcome some info, as I'll shortly be replacing my winch strap.

19. gone_fishing

gone_fishing New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    there is some good feed back on spectra rope as a replacement to winch straps i did a search but didnt find any on this site but i did searches on another site and there is quite a few threads that have some good debates
    i wont write this sites name down as i feel that inappropriate but feel free to email or pm me
    i personally dont have any experiene using rope as a winch rope but will in the future after talking to guys ive met on the road all rave about how much user friendly it is