1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Old age problems.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    A few of years ago you could live quite happily on retirement, but as you get older and you cant get your own wood, and the last few years having to buy 25 - 30 mts a season. Plus this year buying water due to drought is a hassel. Had to take a fence down and further up take another fence down and put a gate in to get the truck to the water tanks, Bought 15000 litres this year. But one extra cost this year will be the cats in the finals and maybe in the GF this year I will welcome.
    Mansfield at the moment is full of Ski people really fantastic for the Town as they do spend money. I couldnt get a park so I decided to go to Benalla and that was busy.
    Well I shall enjoy watching footy in the warm this afternoon I dont care who wins. Must watch the Ice bath nutters as I stoke the fires up. Good cause well done to them all.
    Wally

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Is that because it is illegal to get your own wood, Wally?

I've just spent a a couple of weeks in the Newcastle area and put in a few days splitting stringy & iron-bark blocks for the family, using a petrol powered 20 tonne splitter. They certainly make the job a lot easier compared to swinging a splitter. There's good money to be made in firewood if a bloke sets himself up with the right gear. A mate is making more than 2 grand a week during the winter months supplying wood to those who can't get it themselves - that buys a lot of fishing gear. :rolleyes:

Jeff

3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Whats this country coming to, having to buy water , at least u are able to cut up wood and sell it although the wankers will probably ban that soon , I would like to cut wood and sell it, would probably get into trouble for cutting down all the trees around here though:)

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I guess to those woes you can add the current interest rates. While home buyers might love it; those retirees who have looked after themselves (and their money) are hardly earning enough to live on. One sister who has a fair few shackles salted away after they sold the farm etc., can only earn $27K a year and struggles to make ends meet. Makes a good story in her mind but I don't understand the stubborn refusal to spend a cent of all the capital that is in storage. They worked their guts out for most of their life and have a rather (extremely) large nest egg sitting in investments. Now on her own she complains about having to spend a few bob on wood. Hell, she could buy a state forest and not dent the fund. When you have earned that much for and by yourself; I question the logic of stacking it until it is given to someone else. Her family could all retire on their shares of the moolah.

Tackleberry, diesel, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Jeff the problems are in the wood cutting areas allowed to be cut up, there is nothing to get and you can’t fell tree’s. If you do the wrong thing you lose everything that you use to cut and cart wood, plus a court appearance. I have a whitlands WS 3050 200 kg lift, 9hp 21 ton splitter. A Davis log roller all you need to split 3 mts a day for 70 plus year olds .
    But I only buy yellow box and that is coming from NSW. Short supply in Vic and those that have it keep it for themselves and rightfully so, lucky them. I have Yellow Box and Red Gum standing but they are shade trees for live stock so I won’t be cutting any of those down. All the fallen trees in the last 40 years have been burnt. To use electric heating with our Nobo’s on excluding the hot water system and everything else the electricity bill is almost two thirds cheaper than wood. But you can’t beat looking at an open fireplace or the wood burner.
    Wally

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You pay water rates, don't you? We all have to buy water whether it is through rates or having it carted in.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Master Baiter like this.
  7. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Wally I was wondering how the hell you could burn 30m of wood a season then read you have an open fire .
    In a bad winter I burn 12m of stringy and blue gum l used to sell fire wood but not anymore it is not worth it unless you have access to wood on private property as I do but only for my self ......

creekboy, kev209 and Master Baiter like this.
  8. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    That is a very good point, the truck that brings it looks about 10x5x2 foot dropped in not stacked. I am told this is 5 mts I am sure it would be three mts but I can’t argue because I only pay $50 delivery and can’t get Yellow Box anywhere else.
    I do use wood all year in the combustion stove for hot water as well.
    Wally

Tackleberry, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yellow box is the best wood I have burnt and grey second all the rest are about the same then stringy it's not too bad as the ease of splitting and light weight make it easy on me , saws and the gutlux .......

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    During my younger years I worked on a station out from Bredbo between Canberra & Cooma. Coming from the Hunter region, I had never experienced yellow box and failed to see what the fuss was about when the boss wouldn't look for anything else when it come to stocking up on firewood for winter. I soon come to realise the attraction, splits well, produces good heat and very little ash.

The boss would go through and fall a tree with his battered old Pioneer chainsaw and I would follow up with a Hargan swing saw identical to the one in the pic below. It was an absolute mongrel of a thing to use, heavy and downright dangerous if the blade locked up - known to throw you to the other side of the log.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jeff

11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Holy s--t that's a dangerous looking saw! wonder if I would be allowed to use that on a construction site:eek: not!
    Come to think of it I do pay for water , rates , would put in more rainwater tanks if I had room.

12. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Wow, now that really is manual labour. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel, Master Baiter and kev209 like this.
  13. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Haha yes I remember using one of them bloody things a lot 20 odd years ago that and a swing saw bench all good fun and I still have all my fingers but I do have a good scar on my inner arm 5" long how it missed the veins and tendons I have no idea ......

14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Had a couple of uncles and a cousin who toiled all their working lives in the timber industry, one uncle had lost three of his fingers on one hand, the other uncle had a mangled left arm after an accident in a mill and the cousin got hit in the head by a flying lump of timber in another mill mishap which left him permanently brain damaged.

It was a dangerous game to work in before the introduction of OH&S. I can remember being in a mill one day when a plank got thrown out the end of the shed after being hung up in a blade - it flew more than 100 metres like a missile. The first thing I was told when entering the shed was that if the mill engine started to labour to almost the point of stalling, get down fast because it was about to spit something out.

Jeff

15. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I can only presume it was not a normal office job, Jeff. Cheers, Lyall.

Tackleberry, kev209 and diesel like this.
  16. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Great yarns, obviously true too.

I look at the title of this post and believe there only one old age problem. It's called 'OLD AGE'.

17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Far from it, Lyall. My Mum's family were coal miners and my Dad's were mainly loggers and saw millers. I, for some reason had a mechanical aptitude that led me into becoming a diesel mechanic, but I still carry mining and logging in my blood. Now in my retirement I dig sapphires to finance the lifestyle that my wife and myself are happy with and I never go bush without a chainsaw in the back of the truck - the miner & the logger.

Jeff

18. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yep my 4x4 never leave the drive way without 2 saws and 2 rifles .

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  19. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Friends of mine were working in the mill on one occasion and a log went through that the mongrel greenies had spiked and bits of saw went all over the place very dangerous stuff .
    I think they have metal detectors now .

kev209, creekboy, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    My next chainsaw.

giphy.gif

Jeff