1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

One for those, who tie flies!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi All
    I saw a youtube video a while ago which to me, looked like a fly, except it was tied onto a jig head.
    I am rather sure you can get 'jigs', which look like flies, but can be cast with spin gear, but I was wondering if a fly could be tied on a jighead like this? Or would the blade get in the way?
    TT Revhead.jpg
    There is a local fly tier here in Shepparton who does a wonderful job. Just need to catch up with him. He will surely be able to advise me, but I was wondering what members here think about the idea in general. From what I saw on youtube, the fly/jighead looked a lot better than a plastic in the water.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Stealing ideas from youtube.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I like your thinking Mr Bender. I'm not a fly fisho and wouldn't have a clue when it comes to building a fly, but I've had my eye on some inline spinners called Joes Flies Short Striker and haven't quite made up my mind yet on the colour.
    Joe's Fly.JPG
    Joes Flies Short Striker size 8 - Joe's Favourite.

An Ebay seller in Glen Innes called Crackin Fishin Gear sells them, a seller I've dealt with a fair bit and his gear is top quality.

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I don't see why not ...... we used to use one called a leadhead jig back in the late 80s for snapper and flat head in deep water off shore .
    Similar to these
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Everything that is old becomes new again ...... but these days you can the some great jigs that look like all kinds of things in great detail ......

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Some nice Marabou would look great tied in on that jig mate. Could even work on a yella.

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Spoke to the guy today...no probs! May be a while before I get him to do it. If you are on Instagram (I'm not), check out Pip Clement. Does some great work.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Has a great back up team here!

6. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Pip does fantastic Cod Flies. He is on facebook as well.
    Pete

kev209, diesel and Rod Bender like this.