1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Ozzy's New Boat

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Ozzy, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Well it finally happened , I have sinned and gone over to the dog dish side ( sorry Chicky ) , After selling the Poly ( wanna swap Trotts ) and now being settled and sorted the time came to again look at boats. I set myself a budget of 4 grand . It was on , I looked high and low had ideas of project boats and then I thought ebay might be the go. Well I spotted a boat that I thought was a good deal so kept my eye on it. It seemed to not get much interest and being as it was in Merimbula I thought that may have been out of the way for a lot of buyers.

So armed with my usual sense of rudeness at trying to get a bargain I made an offer. It was rejected as I knew it would be but was answered with a price that I found acceptable , so I bit the bullet and bought it. The owner delivered it to Melbourne for 50 bucks and even said he would refund my 300 dollar deposit if I wasn’t happy. He even threw in a full tank of fuel and a litre bottle of Yamlube.

Well Ozzy has a new boat , it is a 2007 Stacer 399 Proline on a 2007 Dunbier Trailer and a 2002 15 HP Mercury with full service history. It has front cast deck full floor and is painted in a camo type colour. All up I bought it for 3 grand and 50 bucks delivery fee. I am very happy and reckon I got a very good buy. All that is left now is to deck it out a bit more with things that I want and away I go , for the type of fishing I wish to do it will suit me fine.

Cheers
    Ozzy

Some Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Probably target the whiting and flatties mainly with the odd try in the Barwon to see what wants to play

Ozzy

3. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Well done ozzy... it came through! :)

Definately a bargain!

4. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Thought I might do a bit of an update on the boat

Well as usual I'm never happy with anything and always have ideas flying around in my head, so the boat gets a few changes . This is a work in progress given dollars nowadays are tight it'll take me a while.

Anyways not being happy with the floor the way it was and seeing as my 74 yr old Mum and my 8 yr old daughter will be fishing in it , I decided to lower the floor somewhat so as to lower the centre of gravity. I also wanted a floor that was easy to get out to check under for sinkers hooks etc.

[​IMG]

So utilizing the old floor and carpet and some wood I had lying around I got started on the floor. Being I weigh 110 kilo I wanted the floor to be fairly robust hence the timber. The white stuff you see is some sort of silastic the previous owner glued the carpet down with.

[​IMG]

Next step was glueing the carpet down notching out for the cross beams and then fitting back into the boat. I must say I am quite happy with how it turned out and looks.

[​IMG]

5. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Then I spotted a piece of Poly pipe ( yes I love my Poly ) an decided that would make a good extension for the tiller. The tiller has a kill button on the grip so I made a cutout in the tiller extension so I could get my finger in there , to kill the engine rather than having to hit the off / run switch on the side of the motor. Will be looking into fitting a lanyard style kill switch later on. I also got rid of the seat to give more room at the back to stand on the seat if need be when fishing.

[​IMG]

Then I went really nuts , the paint had a lot of small runs in it and I wasn't real happy with it so out came the elbow grease and sandpaper and hours of sanding has it ready for etch primer and then final colour coat. The red rectangle is where the Nav light will go

I think I will be going with a colour called Brunswick Green and then getting a sticker of a Murray Cod done for the sides and then a name for the boat. Still lots to do but it's a start and given the wind over the last month or so and with moving house I thought now is the time to get it all done before the summer comes

[​IMG]

6. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Bit more of an update , gotta love it when you don't know what the previous paint contains. Nothing like laying on etch primer only to see it react with the previous paint. Oh well that will teach me to not be so slack and remove all the paint if there's a next time.

Anyways it's now in etch primer with the reactions rubbed out and ready to go with the final Brunswick Green colour..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feel free to play with some ideas on designs on this pic below , am going for the Murray Cod type theme with a Murray Cod maybe smashing a lure that type of thing. My old next door neighbour is going to do the stickers for me. Thats not the green either

[​IMG]

7. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Turned out a nice day today , sunny with a slight breeze so out with the spray gun and the first coat on. It's touch dry in 4 hrs and recoat in 16 hrs , so hopefully this change we are getting stays away for another day so I can get the second coat on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Did the second coat today and had a hiccup got a couple of sags in the paint , lights a bit dim in the shed ( gotta get a light stand ) so will drag it out in the sun tommorow and see how bad it looks . I dare say the way I am it'll be rubbed out and touched up.

Then decide on whether to go woth a fish sticker or just stripes , been thinking stripes be easier to fix than fish sticker with scrathes etc.

Cheers
    Ozzy

9. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Great stuff Ozzy. Its great seeing step-by-step pics of projects coming together as it gives other people a little bit of an idea how to finally do a job thats always on the drawing boards.

A good thickish type of paint on the inside works a treat at deadening that tinny sound (great on the small rivers) and would look a treat.

10. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Good job ozzy ... I'll donate some tacklebox.com.au stickers for the finished project if you'd like some.

11. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Sounds good to me mate sent ya aPM

12. young_gun

young_gun New Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Thats an awesome buy mate for 3000, and great work on doing her up to. she's come up a treat.
    I'm hoping to pick up something similar soon once i sell my current tinny.

13. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    I tell you what Ozzy, with the pictures it makes it look all too easy.
    I hope Horry has been taking notes :D

14. horry

horry Batemans Bay NSW

May 29, 2008
    yes well done ozzy top job
    Cod on!!

15. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Bit more of an update , after sanding out the sag in the paint and redoing it the paints done , quite happy with how it turned out considering I didn't take it back to bare ally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was to start on the cast deck , the current deck has a gap on each side where things can fall and cause all kinds of grief. So out with the cardboard and make a template. I will have a door centre for access to storage. I reckon I can reuse the carpet I already have on the old deck as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting there

Cheers
    Ozzy

16. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Very good! Keep us informed on the progress. :cool:

17. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    IIRC you did some pretty cool mods to the Poly, so I'm sure this will turn out a real treat once completed Ozzy. Enjoy following the progress mate :)

18. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Having a look around on the web today and came across my next bit for the boat. The wife had found some extra coin so I started looking for an electric , I ended up with this bargain , Jarvis Walker Watersnake 44lb Saltwater bowmount . It's near enough to new having only been in the water once. It didn't suit what the owner wanted so he decided to sell it. I got the motor with a quick release bracket and a deep cycle battery for 400 bucks, reckon I am happy

You betcha , now just to mount it on the boat

Cheers
    Ozzy

[​IMG]

19. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Started on covering the new deck today and quite plesed with how it's turned out , the previous deck had gaps down the side , and I could see that being a haven for things to drop into

Previous Deck

[​IMG]

New Deck

[​IMG]

Getting the hatch tight was an issue but a bit of trimming before gluing the carpet had it fitting nice and snug. A couple of Stainless Hinges and it'll be done.

[​IMG]

I decided to carpet the face of the thwarts and wanted to keep the builders plate showing so made a cut out for the plate and tommorow I'll glue it on and do the back thwart while I'm at it

And one of the main reasons for all this work lowering the floor and tidying everything up , one of my fishing partners and one of the loves of my life ,and the reason I enjoy getting up each morning my mate Jessica

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Ozzy

20. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Finished off the front deck and the area for the electric. I even found a place for the extingisher.

[​IMG]

Getting the quick release bracket for the Electric set up was a lot easier than it was on the Poly

[​IMG]

I redid the whole rear thwart as I wasn't happy with the original carpet on the top as it was slightly lighter than the new stuff.

[​IMG]

I'm going to get a shortened rail welded back on as the original one was cut off for an earlier electric that was on the boat before I bought it

[​IMG]

I even treated the trailer to a set of Bearing Buddies

[​IMG]

The floors missing as it's getting new carpet as the old stuff I reused is different in colour

Not long now hopefully the stickers will be going on soon and then it'll get it's first bath with it's new owner

Cheers
    Ozzy