1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Ozzy's New Boat

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Ozzy, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    looks a treat Ozzy, have to be proud of a quality job like that :)

cheers
    Jules

2. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Had a bit of time on my hands today so got to work finishing off the electric and getting the wiring done for all the electrics. I used the good old poly water pipe to encase the wire to keep it nice and neat and soldered all joins and then covered in heat shrink.

Electric all mounted

[​IMG]

Anderson Plugs with a T handle to make it easy to unplug the electric

[​IMG]

The sounder

[​IMG]

Encased wiring

[​IMG]

And finally the power room quite happy with the neatness of it all just need to use one small cable clamp to hold the wiring against the bulkhead

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Ozzy

3. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    And my new beaut numbers can't say they can't be seen

Cheers
    Ozzy

[​IMG]

4. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    Where do you intend using the boat.Which waterway.

5. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Any that have water in them mate lol , mainly off the Bellarine Peninsula around Clifton Springs , Portarlington , St Leonards and the Barwon and up in the Murray

Cheers
    Ozzy

6. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Decided this morning that I would run the wire for the bilge pump and get that sorted and then decided to save taking the top off the battery box everytime to turn the power on and off to the electric , I would cut an access hole for the knob.

[​IMG]

This is where the bilge pump is going to sit , I have some very good silastic to stick it to the bottom of the boat rather than having it on a bracket. Haven't hooked it up yet at the pump end , will wait till I have it all set and where I want it.

[​IMG]

/me

7. corko111

corko111 New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Just read through all the posts ozzy and for what i can see under 4000 you could not loose money on that. really good job mate and keep posting pics as you go

8. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I also just read through the whole post and I am really impressed with the job you did Ozzy. It's a great bit of work, the boat and the report, well done mate.

Cheers...Brett

9. mallee

mallee New Member

Sep 1, 2005
    Need to get it in the water now mate and get some scales on her:)
    Looks great and a job well done.
    Mallee

10. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi Ozzy,i also have just read your post and have alot of admiration on a top job,it looks great,cheer's Murph.....

11. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Jeez I hate being a perfectionist sometimes , looking at the boat this morning and the sounder wire laying there looked like a mess and the bilge pump needed wiring up and the hose and outlet sorted. So the plan of attack was to make some brackets out of spare ally I had lying around and finish making everything tidy. First thing was to sort out the transducer wire , I didn't like the look of it going over the transom so drilled a hole and will fit a cover over it and some silastic to seal it . Couple of ally home made brackets and it's a success

[​IMG]

Then I had to route the wire to the sounder and try and hide the abundant remaining cord , so I again used the good old poly pipe anong the gunnel to hide the excess and ran some more brackets to hold it to the transom.

[​IMG]

Next was to finish up wiring in the bilge pump and routing the outlet pipe to the outlet

[​IMG]

And the hose and brackets

[​IMG]

So the boats almost done and ready to go , I'd rather take my time now and get it all sorted so that first trip is spent enjoying the fruits of my labour rather than having to muck around out on the water

/me

12. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Decided this morning that I'd see how the motor ran. I bought the boat in August last year sight unseen and hadn't even heard it run. The guy I bought the boat off said it was a good runner and I really had to take his word for it. So today with a positive mind that yep it'll be a ripper we had a go.

Well I primed the bulb till it was hard hooked up the water , set the tiller to start and pulled the choke half way out. Grabbed the pull start and with a silent please start pulled the cord.

Seems he was right away she went first pull shut off the choke and looked at the tell tale and water was streaming nice and strong from it. Seems like I have a fairly decent motor but of course will have to wait and see what it's like in the water and under load. Can't wait now , just need to find some time to get it down to the ramp and have a run in it.

So all is looking good for the maiden voyage and a few fish on top of it all would be good

Cheers
    Ozzy

13. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    and you make it look all so easy ozzy, i could only imagine the mess i would end with if i started a job like that ,but seeing the results gives a bloke a few ideas :rolleyes:, great post mate.

14. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Ozzy.
    Mate well done with the boat.Classic post as a good reference to drop back to for heaps of ideas down the track,especially the tiller ext.
    Will be launching at Akuna bay out of Coal And Candle Creek and out to Jereusalem Bay in Cowan Creek a trib. of The Hawkesbury tomorrow .Fingers crossed we might catch some jewies or bream.

Good fishing and keep in touch.

15. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Had a bit of a play with a strut for the electric for when I am travelling. I thought about a ram mount but didn't like the idea of having the base of the mount still there when I took the mount away. So I found a piece of ally fence post I had lying around and used that. I was surprised at how secure it is , I will use a better tie down than the occy but just wanted an idea to how it would be. Now just need to give it a tidy up and get some rubber edging for the part the tube lays in and that's another job out the way

Cheers
    Ozzy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mr_Willy

Mr_Willy New Member

May 4, 2006
    When your finished Ozzy, you can come around and tidy up mine - need the bilge pump installed and my wiring fixed up. Batteries installed as well....

17. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    No worries mate get those Knols out lol

Ozzy

18. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Ozzy,

Where did you get the new marine carpet from?

Does the old carpet come off the ply easily e.g. do you need any tools for the job.

Im going to do some mods over July-Aug for my 420.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  19. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Gday Skinnee I bought the carpet at my local Clark Rubber store , it is rubber backed and $ 44.95 a metre , it sticks like you know what and being rubber backed repels water away from the wood. I've had it wet and didn't take to long to dry. The old carpet pulled off ok with a bit of grunting and groaning , and the help of a sharp spatula to pry the carpet from the wood. Look forward to see what mods you do

Cheers
    Ozzy

20. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    thanks ozzy.

will post pics as i go.