1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Polycraft Pricing

Discussion in 'Boats' started by User1, May 1, 2006.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Yeah get that up side ya duck house steady. Hornets pppffffft overpriced dog dish mate if your going to fish in the fresh the Poly is the go tin can't match it for ride or for safety try hitting a snag at full song in a dog dish and see what happens I did in my Poly and just kept on going once on the trailer I rubbed off the mark it left with my hand you'd be off to the welders after you retrieved the boat from the bottom of the river lol

Cheers
    Ozzy

2. ozdevil

ozdevil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    a hornet is going to be less stable then what 4.1 challenger poly is going to be

Ozzy,myself and my good lady which the 3 of us weigh more then 100kgs each

just myself and my good lady would weigh a combined 250kgs... i'm nothing short of 120kgs

so basically i reckon at the time we did this with ozzys polycraft the 3 of us toger would be pushing around 370kgs

370kgs all on one side of the poly craft and let me tell you i still felt quite safe at this and we did this at at speed and also stationary

I would like to see this done on a hornet i reckon there would be a bit of water coming over the sides

yeah the Poly had a great lean on it with the 3 of us but at no time did we feel it was going to tip

Poly is a bit more durable and also is going to give you far more comfortable ride plus also the hull is going to be alot more quiter then a hornets hull

poly ya dont have to worry about electrolisis in a poly unlike you do in a tinney

I just think on overall between the hornet and the polycraft i know which one i would like to be in if i was doing some bay and estury work if the wind come up and i dont think it would be the hornet

but hey each to there own i spose

cheers
    OZ

3. User1

User1 Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Well said .... but oz is as cuddly as he is heavy :)

4. craig-cv

craig-cv New Member

May 16, 2006
    ive got a 435 hornet trophy i dont think stability should be an issue:confused: hull design ....not material with its made:confused: they both float
    weve had 290kgs on one side no dramas at all;)
    but your rite ozzy id rather hit a snag in a poly then a vb can:(

5. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    True Fonk so true just one thing to remember with Poly V Ally a sheet of Poly will float a sheet of Ally will sink A Poly full of water will float an Ally full of water unless full of floatation will sink. As has been said each to their own but value for money and ease of use the Poly is in my opinion the best deal. As for the weight issue the equivilant ally boat with what the Poly comes with is more or less the same weight neither is heavier than the other. Having done a lot of research on them before buying mine it surprised me that Plastic Boats were first made from the late 1950's and they are still going one I saw on the web was made in 1959 and is still in good condition not bad for a boat thats nearly 50 years old remember all those old orange tenders you see on Trawlers they are all Plastic Boats

Go the POLY lol

Cheers
    Ozzy

6. ozdevil

ozdevil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Fonk

Stability is an issue in any type of boat and is part of the hull design as well...

Specially in boats like hornets that have cast decks etc as i dont think i would wanna be standing on a cast deck and find the boat just about on its edge while ya trying to cast a lure at a snag

cheers
    OZ

7. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    How do you go about making the storage bins plumbed etc. I had a good look at one at a camping show last year and no one could give me an answer on how to make the storage areas plumbed so you can turn them into a live tank for comps etc.

How does the weight's compare to a Hornet type boat?

GALVO

8. chicky

chicky New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Back again fella to put my 2 bobs worth in .Check out a hornet and that flash looking hull with two casting on the front deck they nose dive.I wouldn,t like fishing from that in a good chop.As for plumbing ive cut two ports one for the kota and the other for the live well which are 90 liters by the way that way i can access them at any time... Cant preach to the converted.

9. ozdevil

ozdevil New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    thats another thing with hornets on the Millenium hull has few problems as far as cavition goes and theres real no easy fix to it except to cut part of the keel of to allow some positive flow....

I could be wrong but i have heard this on a couple of occasions i dont think it is just with the hornet hull but other quintrex hulls that have the Milleniuym hull design

cheers
    OZ

10. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    In the rear hatches of the poly you have access to the area between the two skins, I have a bilge pump on the transom a hose runs from the pump into the l/h rear hatch and all the way up the left hand side between the skins. At the front I have an inspecion port in the anchor well, which I made to install the leccy, stick your hand in here and you can grab the bilge hose, this hose goes thru to the front l/h bin and is attched to a pipe which acts as a spray bar.
    The poly bins already have a drainage hole, so I have inserted an elbow joint which in turn is connected to my overflow pipe, the pipe can be unscrewed for complete drainage of the livewell.

The entire idea was taken from the poly website, there's a pdf explanation of a tournament fitout, there's also an olf QLD fishing monthly article which is very helpful.

Cheers,

Craig

11. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    Yeah thanks Craig.

I found that article. Very interesting reading. With alot of people saying that they have extended the casting decks and added all the extras etc it is a wonder that Polycraft doesn't make a Tornament model with all this included.

I believe that would be a market for them and the model would turn more heads and sway more of us Aluminum boat owners.

I am looking at upgrading my 385 Stessel Edgetracker Tournament in next 12 months and if Polycraft had an already to go package I would probaly have a serious look at one.

I am not after a Rig that I have to do heaps of work to it before it is ready for Competition Fishing as I am no handyman and don't have the time to set it up.

Cheers

GALVO

12. Goodoo Dreaming

Goodoo Dreaming New Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Is it only a 4.1m they make that is suited for a casting boat.

I still feel the whole package still has quite a few short comings when measured against the other boats on the market. Size for one (length) and the beam is a bit narrow (1.8m). There's no way with a hull shaped like that the ride would compare with a hornet as the old poly hull just wouldnt cut through the chop at speed and you will get a fair bit water on ya. A planned out deck and accessories are really missing also.

The Poly does have some innovative ideas that are really still in their infancy and I have no doubt their time is coming but at this stage I feel for freshwater lure casting they still pull up far too short compared to what else is available. The poly boats do have a very attractive price and this is what helps sells these boats.

13. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    I couldn't agree more Steady.

GALVO

14. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    Common sense tells you with more than one in the boat you share the load in any boat They dont nose all that bad and you wouldnt be on the front deck in chop that bad either unless your from a circus act (lol). I've got a little 3.9HT with a narrow beam like the polys and dont have a prob casting & walking over the boat, stability is very good. Dont forget they are only really designed for the rivers & lakes and thats all I base my needs on.

Comparing apples for apples the 4.1 poly cant really be compared to the Hornet Trophy's at all. There's V-punts and there's flared hulls, totally worlds apart. Old time Vs New Technology.

I'm not taking anything away from the polys but they just dont match up in most area's. And dont leave the poly in the sun when storing as they will age and suffer a bit from the effects of UV. Its a trait of all Poly products that the oils in the material will have a drying effect from the sun. They have come along way with UV protection but they will suffer if not looked after.

Whats the max HP on the 4.1 poly?

15. GALVO

GALVO New Member

May 6, 2006
    50hp

16. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Steady, when Marc joins the club, I think you need to go for a ride in a poly mate :)

It is a very rare occasion that you will get wet in a poly.
    I had mine out on Monday trolling for tailor and Salmon behind the break, when we finished fishing we ran home thru the waves doing a bit of poly surfing on the way. :D We were still dry at the end of it.

As for the durability of the poly and UV concerns,

this from the poly website... " the Polyethylene we use has a UV stability rating of 11, compared to a wheelie bin with a UV rating of 4 - the boats are two times more UV stable. Go home and have a look your wheelie bin, it sits in direct sunlight 24/7 365 days a year with little effect or notable damage.

It’s always good to point out that the poly used in the boats is nothing like the plastic used to manufacture outdoor furniture, garden lights etcetera. The only other thing you could confidently compare the boats to would be a poly rainwater tank; most of these come with a 25 year guarantee and are nearly always in direct sunlight
    "

Cheers,

Craig

17. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    A hull that flexes has to be a softer ride than a hull that doesn't , looking at boats for the river then the Poly wins hands down 2 front bins when plumbed become livewells full flat floor front cast deck rear cast deck more or less unsinkable , soft ride due to double hull that flexes less noise , hit a snag no damage. I've yet to see a Hornet with the size livewells that a Poly has , the Hornet doesn't ride as soft as the Poly and isn't as quiet either as , the Hornet wouldn't fair as well in snaggy territory as the Poly does.

Each to their own as they say but when you look at standard features of both boats and the price tag the Poly is by far better value for money. And as I have said a bit of research will show that there are stil plenty of plastic boats out there that are over 30 years old and still going strong how many dog dishes are still in good nick after 30 years I dare say not a lot. Also have a look at the bumpers on say an XD Ford or the VK Commodore they are Poly made and still hanging in there. Plastic is replacing a lot of the older style materials simply for the fact it's cheaper more durable and easy to fix.

Cheers
    Ozzy

18. Goodoo Dreaming

Apr 12, 2006
    A V-hull aint gonna cut through the water like a hornet, it might be plastic fantastic but it's still got that blunt v-nose shower maker and at 4.1m it's a tad too small. Stability wouldnt be any better either specially with the polys narrow beam at 1.8m compared to the hornbag at a tad over 2.0 m. Plastic aint got nothing to do with stability its all to do with hull shape and with the hornets its only the nose that has a dip when all the weight is put on the extreme front gunnel which is due to the design of the wedge type hull.

You keep your cheap, small, comfortable, slow, unsinkable and undecked out boat and I'll give you a wave as I pass you in the new Schmick 445 Hornbag, now thats a freshwater lure casters boat.

And I mean that in the nicest possible way. lol

Now hit me with a barrage of insults and I'll call it evens.

I've had my say and I shall say no more on the subject. lol

19. Timber_Lake_Mike

Timber_Lake_Mike New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Right-o Yoda,
    Good is the Hornbag, Hmmmm. Not as good, the Polycraft, Hmmmm.

Well I didn't see the Hornbag heading down into the shallow heavily timbered waters at Timber Lake. I mean the stuff where there is no way through, but to pull the prop up and use push poles - I reckon the HB might have a few dents after a trip down there.

When it comes to speed - I don't need it, the open waters of the lake aint that big and you can usually troll the whole lot. The timbered waters have a max speed limit anyway (to reduce boat and prop damage).

I know there are many good point on both sides of the coin, but I guess it comes down to Horses for Courses - just get what suits you best. In my case I wanted something cheap, highly stable, highly durable and that could easily be put under survey for commercial use - the poly came up trumps in my view. I must admit the 3.0 Meter can get a bit tight with two anglers and a big cod on board, but the stability is quite amazing. In one of the photos of the little 3.0M Tuff Tender, they have 3 big blokes (more than 300KG)standing on the Gunwales - two on one side and one on the back side and the boat looks pretty good to me. Also if you have a chance, check out the video of the Tuff Tender - it hoons along - must try a little petrol on mine soon.

Anyway, when we get together for the line/leader/knot strength comp, we will have a quick hoon and see what the difference is (I know yours is bigger, but mine is probably heavier with the survey foam installed - don't take that the wrong way).

Regards
    Mike

20. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Mine does 2 up with all the gear 48 kph with a 2 stroke 40 , on a par with the equivilant boat to mine. I reckon with the money I saved over a Hornet the gear I can now buy and the amount of petrol I can buy will be good and who cares if the Hornet gets there 5 minutes earlier. As for a wet boat I've plowed through the wash of a paddlesteamer flat out and I stayed dry so don't know where the wet boat comes from. Stick to your Hornet Steady you'll be a happy camper but watch out for those snags mate scratches and dents can make a grown man cry lol

Cheers
    Ozzy