1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

power bait

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by fishem, Sep 27, 2005.

1. fishem

fishem Guest

im keen to give power bait a go in the pondage when lure fishing not produceing any tips on setups? also does it work in rivers?

2. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    I have used all sorts of Power Bait but non have worked for me :-(
    Apparently the GULP is supposed to be ok - never used it.
    I'm a great believer in fresh bait as long as its dead because I can't thread a wriggly worm on a hook or anything that moves.

3. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    The 'Sherbet' Power Bait (Pink & Orange) has been working particularly well in the Pondage of late. Use it both under a bubble float and on the bottom. I usually add a worm or maggots to the hook as well - the Power Baits scent attracts the Trout and the worm/maggot encourages them to bite.

I have caught plenty of Trout on it in the Goulburn River, weighted with just enough split shot to get it below the surface.

BUT</span>, <span style=\'color:DarkRed\'>nothing beats Mudeyes as bait in the Pondage!!!

4. Sparkesy2

Sparkesy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Eewwww ... a maggot - dead or alive? :)

5. tex

tex New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Rainbow nuggets in the jars are exceptional, and 3 inch Gulp! Minnows on 1/8oz jigheads are proving a big fish taker!

Cheers,

Craig

6. Hewie

Hewie New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Nat,
    Alive, of course. (you've gotta get used to using live baits if you want to be successful fishing the freshwater)
    :smile:
    You need 3 - 4 on your hook each time - so as you find them in the oats, you hold them gently between your teeth and when you've got three in your teeth and one in your fingers you then thread them on the hook one at a time ....
    .... DO NOT prick your finger though , as there's nothing worse than doing that and then biting down due to the pain, when you've still got maggots in your mouth.
    :p

7. awhite_au

awhite_au New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Although having never had much luck with the power baits or "Gulp" I still carry a large range in my tacklebox, because its with anything I ever try, I'd rather have it there just in case, than not be catching anything anyway and running over and over in my head that it's because that particular trip I didn't stock something. But for me, nothing can go past 2-3 night crawlers, or half a scrubby with a peeled yabby cocktail for a nice yellowbelly or hopefully two ;)